United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:18 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
He apparently took part in a Nazi programme based in Wigan to create Aryan super soldiers by stitching together the best bits of 2 Chinese people into a Caucasian warrior

It failed though, when after a while it dawned on him that 2 Wongs don't make a white.
Dear Lord.

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:19 PM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagger
It's absurd to think that you can just take a word, separate it from the pragmatic and societal factors governing its use, and thus free its meaning from any racial connotations. This is most pressing in cases where there is mild invariance in the word's meaning: for instance, using it to refer to a meal, or restaurant, which bears historical and cultural ties to the ethnicity of the people towards which the word was employed as a pejorative.
Took the words out of my mouth mate.

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:20 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
define racist

chinky defines a restaurant or a meal and isn't racist in the slightest when used in that context
So on that basis if you went to a Caribbean restauarant you could call it the N-word without fear of reprisal?

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:23 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
He apparently took part in a Nazi programme based in Wigan to create Aryan super soldiers by stitching together the best bits of 2 Chinese people into a Caucasian warrior

It failed though, when after a while it dawned on him that 2 Wongs don't make a white.

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:25 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
So on that basis if you went to a Caribbean restauarant you could call it the N-word without fear of reprisal?

Depends if it was part of Nickeragua

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:06 PM
BryanRobson'sLiver

Quote:
define racist

chinky defines a restaurant or a meal and isn't racist in the slightest when used in that context
Were you In Luis Suarez's legal defence team?

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
elhombre

Quote:
define racist

now i know you're a WUM.

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:10 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
Dave Whelan: When I was growing up we used to call the Chinese ‘chingalings’...

....In what was supposed to be an apology to the Jewish community.

'Apology accepted'

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:18 PM
jaffo

Quote:
define racist

That is one of the most stupid sentences I have ever read

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:39 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaffo
That is one of the most stupid sentences I have ever read from you this afternoon, Throb
Edited.

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:42 PM
signed dc

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
by "politically correct" you mean, of course, "non racist". let's call a spade a spade here.

I'm not sure if you can anymore

Unread 05-12-2014, 05:43 PM
forzagarza

If there was a scale to racism against the Chinese I'd say it was number 42

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:13 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza
Interesting point - what scale of "racism" should be applied to:

Frog
Eye tie
Kraut
Jock
Pakki
Pom
taffy
Windie

The "n" word has clear negative connotations but how offensive are the above, any more than Brummie, for instance?

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:17 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
Interesting point - what scale of "racism" should be applied to:

Frog
Eye tie
Kraut
Jock
Pakki
Pom
taffy
Windie

The "n" word has clear negative connotations but how offensive are the above, any more than Brummie, for instance?
If an Australian called me a Pom, or an American called me a Limey, or a person of colour called me a Honkey or if someone from Africa/ N or S America called me Eurotrash, I'd be:

Call me a Brummie:

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:26 PM
S/Side.Red

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
SAF, Sir Bobby, Ken Dodd............

The list is endless.
When Frog trod the line it was footy bantz. "Typical Germans" re cheating. Or "If Italians tell me it's pasta, I check under the sauce" etc

They cracked up. Because it was nothing vicious.

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forzagarza

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:31 PM
HotChip

Quote:
Originally Posted by #42
Speak of the devil.

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:38 PM
forzagarza

Quote:
Originally Posted by #42

7 years you've been waiting for that opportunity

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:39 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blagger
It's absurd to think that you can just take a word, separate it from the pragmatic and societal factors governing its use, and thus free its meaning from any racial connotations. This is most pressing in cases where there is mild invariance in the word's meaning: for instance, using it to refer to a meal, or restaurant, which bears historical and cultural ties to the ethnicity of the people towards which the word was employed as a pejorative.
quality post

don't agree btw

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
no. the term in english is caribbean food i believe. jerk.

Unread 05-12-2014, 06:43 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
If an Australian called me a Pom, or an American called me a Limey, or a person of colour called me a Honkey or if someone from Africa/ N or S America called me Eurotrash, I'd be:

Call me a Brummie:

They still routinely use the term Pom in Australia and on the whole I have no problem with that. It is the context and the tone which is the indicator as to whether offensive or racist
Closed Thread