United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:09 PM
elhombre

Default The man who broke his leg in an FA Cup final is at it again....

http://www.theguardian.com/football/...se-chingalings

Dave Whelan: When I was growing up we used to call the Chinese ‘chingalings’...

....In what was supposed to be an apology to the Jewish community.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:15 PM
ryanMUFC

Tbf he's 78. It shouldn't have been news in the first place. I doubt there's many politically correct men from this country in their 70's.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:17 PM
ashtonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Tbf he's 78. It shouldn't have been news in the first place. I doubt there's many politically correct men from this country in their 70's.
SAF, Sir Bobby, Ken Dodd............

The list is endless.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:17 PM
irk

I wonder at the absurdity of a world in which a man this £#%&!ing stupid can make a fortune, and I the forum's leading thinker, looker, and all round good egg don't have a pot to piss in.

I blame the jews.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:18 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
correct.

everybody i knew growing up, referred to the Chinese takeAway , as having a chink for tea......im not even going to say what the paper shop was called

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Charlestown Rouge

From a man whose business was fined millions of pounds for price fixing on replica shirts.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:20 PM
irk

Quote:
by "politically correct" you mean, of course, "non racist". let's call a spade a spade here.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:24 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashtonred
SAF, Sir Bobby, Ken Dodd............

The list is endless.
Yep. Age is no excuse - he's been living and working and operating in the same modern culture as the rest of his for the last 15-25 years, and if he didn't feel the changes coming, then it's his own fault for the people he surrounded himself with.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:32 PM
Child of Darkness

I dont think age was much of a defence for stuart hall

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:33 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
by "politically correct" you mean, of course, "non racist". let's call a spade a spade here.
I'd put it down to ignorance more than racism but each to their own.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:41 PM
MUFCOK

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
correct.

everybody i knew growing up, referred to the Chinese takeAway , as having a chink for tea......im not even going to say what the paper shop was called
The Newsagent?

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:43 PM
elhombre

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
correct.

a large percentage of people i went to school with used such vernaculars, and a large percentage of that group didn't bat an eyelid when they heard such language; i however, knew it was racist, as did they, but they chose to use it and not bat an eyelid because they were and still are bigots....

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:44 PM
irk

Quote:
I'd put it down to ignorance more than racism but each to their own.
Ignorant racists then. Wilfully at that.

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:51 PM
Ashley's Grime

Didn't Whelan say there should be a minute's silence at all football games when Thatcher went to hell?

Unread 05-12-2014, 03:54 PM
Jack Duckworth

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
http://www.theguardian.com/football/...se-chingalings

Dave Whelan: When I was growing up we used to call the Chinese ‘chingalings’...

....In what was supposed to be an apology to the Jewish community.

ffs

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by irk
I wonder at the absurdity of a world in which a man this £#%&!ing stupid can make a fortune, and I the forum's leading thinker, looker, and all round good egg don't have a pot to piss in.

I blame the jews.

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:01 PM
Jez Quigley

He apparently took part in a Nazi programme based in Wigan to create Aryan super soldiers by stitching together the best bits of 2 Chinese people into a Caucasian warrior

It failed though, when after a while it dawned on him that 2 Wongs don't make a white.

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:02 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child of Darkness
I dont think age was much of a defence for stuart hall
certainly wasn't much of a barrier, anyway

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:07 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by elhombre
a large percentage of people i went to school with used such vernaculars, and a large percentage of that group didn't bat an eyelid when they heard such language; i however, knew it was racist, as did they, but they chose to use it and not bat an eyelid because they were and still are bigots....
define racist

chinky defines a restaurant or a meal and isn't racist in the slightest when used in that context

Unread 05-12-2014, 04:15 PM
Blagger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
define racist

chinky defines a restaurant or a meal and isn't racist in the slightest when used in that context
It's absurd to think that you can just take a word, separate it from the pragmatic and societal factors governing its use, and thus free its meaning from any racial connotations. This is most pressing in cases where there is mild invariance in the word's meaning: for instance, using it to refer to a meal, or restaurant, which bears historical and cultural ties to the ethnicity of the people towards which the word was employed as a pejorative.
Closed Thread