United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-08-2009, 11:10 PM
Sloppy

ITV just showed wenger the eduardo dive and he said it wasnt a dive.@#%&!.

Unread 26-08-2009, 11:12 PM
Wez

Surprised he saw it

Unread 26-08-2009, 11:49 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wez
Surprised he saw it
he didn't

he just knew it wasn't a dive because Eduardo wouldn't do that since his leg fell off a while back

Unread 26-08-2009, 11:50 PM
MUFC One Love

I thought Eduardo got killed in 'Nam?

Unread 27-08-2009, 12:09 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
The Scottish Football Association (SFA) has backed Celtic's calls for Eduardo da Silva to receive a European ban, after he was accused of diving to win a penalty during last night's Champions League play-off, second leg.

The Croatian striker went down in the box after 28 minutes despite appearing not to make contact with Artur Boruc, the Celtic goalkeeper. Despite fierce protests from Celtic, Eduardo scored the resulting penalty as Arsenal won 3-1 on the night and 5-1 on aggregate to take their place alongside Chelsea, Manchester United and Liverpool in today’s Champions League draw in Monaco.

Immediately after the match, Massimo Donati, the Celtic midfielder, called for Eduardo to receive a European ban and Gordon Smith, the SFA's chief executive, has urged Uefa to act retrospectively to punish the Croatia international.

"Eduardo is a terrific player who has battled back from a serious injury to resume playing at the highest level," Smith said. "However, last night he showed disrespect to the game by his actions in winning a penalty against Celtic.

"Since I came into this post, I have raised the issue of simulation time and time again - both here in Scotland and with Fifa and Uefa. I don't think that I have received enough support in my efforts to eradicate what I believe to be one of the most serious threats to the integrity of football. Last night showed exactly why we must take this issue seriously.

"We have shown the courage to use retrospective punishment when it comes to simulation and I would urge Uefa to do so in this instance. Everything that can be done to stamp it out must be done - starting right now.

"Last night's incident also brings the whole issue of video evidence to the fore. I see absolutely no reason at all why we cannot use technology to assist referees - particularly in live games.

"I know that some people say that TV evidence would damage the flow of a game, but I believe the proposal that I put forward to both Fifa and Uefa whereby football would adopt a similar approach to tennis in offering a set number of challenges can work.

"We need a serious debate on these issues. Everyone in football has a responsibility to set the right example to our youngsters.

"We can talk all we want about Fair Play campaigns, but taking action would be a much more powerful deterrent and would send the right message to players everywhere."

The incident may provide fresh impetus in the perpetual debate over whether technology should be used during matches to aid officials and Massimo Donati, the Celtic player, called for Eduardo to face retrospective punishment.

“If it’s caught on TV, Uefa should act and ban him. Eduardo should get a two-match ban,” Donati said. “It was not a penalty. I told him and everyone on the Celtic team told him.”

Neil Warnock, the Crystal Palace manager, says video evidence is the only way to stop diving in football. "Retrospective video evidence with a minimum six-game ban would stop it [diving] straight away," he said. "It's no good fining them [the players] because they get paid so much and managers aren't going to do it, as I know from personal experience, so it has to be retrospective evidence.

"Referees are not good enough to stop things like that even though he [the referee] was in a good position."

Warnock added: "The guy [Eduardo] deliberately tried to leave a foot, in order to get some contact with the goalie [Boruc] when he knew the keeper wasn't going to pull him down. It's one of those things.

"The only answer is using video evidence after the event because it's too quick. Sometimes I've thought from the first view 'it's a penalty,' and then you watch it and know it's not. So even professionals can't see it. Referees need help."

Unread 27-08-2009, 06:12 PM
taff

don't know what all the fuss is about with this. that horrible @#%&! gerrard has been getting away with it for years.

Unread 27-08-2009, 06:17 PM
neworder

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
don't know what all the fuss is about with this. that horrible @#%&! gerrard has been getting away with it for years.

thats a fantastic gif
Closed Thread