United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:18 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Giles was saying how he'd be annoyed not to get the ball then charton would beat loads of players and score from 40 yards.

If I knew chartton as a player then I probably pick him. Similary, no-one is going to pick scholes in 20 years.
The footage and anecdotes like that from Giles make Charlton the best English player ever without a doubt in my mind. I was watching a documentary on Kevin Keegan when he was at Hamburg a while back and even though he won two Balon d'ors, in comparison Keegan's style of play looked a bit basic. Charlton looked like you could transport him in the modern game and he could get in any team.

I'd say about Scholes though that he's still going to be in most people's team imo. For the same reason that lads who saw Robson are picking Robson ahead of Scholes and Keane. Part nostalgia because that first really legendary central midfielder a young person sees is the standard-bearer for everyone else in that position to follow but also just because Scholes's entire career is on tape and for the most part broadcast around the world.

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:22 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
The footage and anecdotes like that from Giles make Charlton the best English player ever without a doubt in my mind. I was watching a documentary on Kevin Keegan when he was at Hamburg a while back and even though he won two Balon d'ors, in comparison Keegan's style of play looked a bit basic. Charlton looked like you could transport him in the modern game and he could get in any team.

I'd say about Scholes though that he's still going to be in most people's team imo. For the same reason that lads who saw Robson are picking Robson ahead of Scholes and Keane. Part nostalgia because that first really legendary central midfielder a young person sees is the standard-bearer for everyone else in that position to follow but also just because Scholes's entire career is on tape and for the most part broadcast around the world.
Scholes wasn't recognised as a great in his own career. Sven played him out wide etc.

Unread 03-04-2020, 07:42 AM
flixton

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
It was Best v Ronaldo and I think even though maybe Best was the most talented ever, I'd be able to rely on Ronaldo.

I haven't seen enough of Charlton to put him in the side. Giles said he was the best player he's ever played with or against but all I've seen are highlights/goals. Obviously a great player and if he was of my time he'd probably be in. With Law you can look at his goals and see he was a player who could play in any era. Watching a doc on him recently and he made all the players around him look old fashioned imo.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
There's some great and lengthy videos of Charlton knocking about on youtube. From what I have seen, the man had everything. Arguably our greatest footballer. Tho I guess he was the less glamorous of the three.
I was lucky enough to see Charlton play for United from 1967. The nearest equivalent modern player would be Gascoigne at his peak although Charlton had a better turn of pace and better shot. He was also completely two footed (as was Best). Charlton would always be in my all time United team. England's best ever player.

Unread 03-04-2020, 07:46 AM
My Name is Heath

Schmeichel

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Irwin

Robson
Keane
Charlton

Ronaldo
Law
Best

Got to have BLC there - all European Players of the Year winners

We have been blessed

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:20 PM
Neo

Football

Schmeichel

Stam --- Rio --- Vidic

Keane --- Scholes --- Robson

Ronaldo --- Charlton --- Best

Law

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:40 PM
thatsfuctit

Not many votes for Eric

Unread 03-04-2020, 01:57 PM
poppy

Not particularly a fan of the system, but If you’re picking a best XI, you’ve got to play three at the back. You can’t waste 20% of your outfield players on fullbacks. No disrespect to fullbacks, and even great fullbacks like Denis Irwin, but at the end of the day they’re still fullbacks. The position is only a small rung up from goalkeepers.

With that in mind, from all the players I’ve seen:

VDS

Rio
Stam
McGrath

Ronaldo
Scholes
Robbo
Keane
Beckham

Eric
Rooney

Unread 03-04-2020, 04:42 PM
Cream

3 at the back = shithouse.

I had the balls to drop Eric, not Gary £#%&!ing Neville.

Unread 03-04-2020, 04:44 PM
suedeshoes

I love Becks but he's never getting in the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Schmeichel

Stam --- Rio --- Vidic

Keane --- Scholes --- Robson

Ronaldo --- Charlton --- Best

Law
McGrath for Rio and yeah probably.

Unread 03-04-2020, 05:07 PM
Knockers

Know who never gets mentioned in these XIs but deffo should? Mark Hughes. He was £#%&!ing mint.

Unread 03-04-2020, 05:47 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Know who never gets mentioned in these XIs but deffo should? Mark Hughes. He was £#%&!ing mint.
Yeah, he has definitely suffered for not actually liking us.

Unread 03-04-2020, 07:23 PM
Tiberian

VDS

Irwin
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Keane
Charlton
Giggs

Ronaldo
Law
Best

Leaving out Cantona not a difficult choice imo. Probably Robson in for Giggs for a more balanced midfield trio would be the smart choice but Giggs is m favourite player ever, can't be leaving him out.

Unread 03-04-2020, 07:38 PM
Neo

The lads picking Van Der Sar over Schmeichel.

Unread 03-04-2020, 09:09 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Yes, he was very good. But best XI ever, when the likes of RVN, Cantona and Rooney are being left out?

.....................................Schmeichel

Neville.............Stam............Rio........... .Irwin

Ronaldo........Charlton......Robson........Best

.......................Law.................Ruud

Unread 03-04-2020, 09:52 PM
Marvel7

Schmeichel

Irwin
Rio
McGrath
Evra

Scholes
Robson
Charlton

Best
Law
Ronaldo

Unread 03-04-2020, 09:55 PM
ZiggyStardust

I can only include players I’ve watched myself in my lifetime so no Charlton, Law or Best despite the videos I’ve made of them

VdS
Neville Rio Stam Evra
Ronaldo Scholes Keane Giggs
Cantona RvN

Hard to leave Becks out of the midfield but Ronaldo is Ronaldo
Van Der Sar and Schmeichel was a bit of a toss up however in the modern game Big Edwin’s ability to use his feet would give him the edge

Unread 03-04-2020, 09:55 PM
tatty

If Paul McGrath was at his peak now he'd be a £150m player.

Has to be him plus Rio.
Closed Thread