United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-04-2020, 08:16 PM
armchair

Default John Giles' All-Time Manchester United XI

post '65. very interesting.

[SIZE="4"]What is your best all time 11?

Unread 02-04-2020, 09:42 PM
rubbernecker

After the first couple of picks I thought it was going to end up Man Utd's Fenian all stars plus Peter schmeichel

Biggest problem with that team for me is the lack of Bryan Robson . Has to be in IMO

Unread 02-04-2020, 09:54 PM
nick henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbernecker
After the first couple of picks I thought it was going to end up Man Utd's Fenian all stars plus Peter schmeichel

Biggest problem with that team for me is the lack of Bryan Robson . Has to be in IMO
Exactly what i thought re Robson.

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:10 PM
armchair

Schmeichel

Neville Rio Stam Irwin

Beckham Keane Scholes Ronaldo

Law, van Nistelrooy

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:15 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
Schmeichel

Neville Rio Stam Irwin

Beckham Keane Scholes Ronaldo

Law, van Nistelrooy
Law, but no Best or Charlton ?

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:18 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick henry
Exactly what i thought re Robson.
Denis Knows

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:18 PM
Cream

Schmeichel

Irwin Vidic Rio Evra

Charlton Scholes Robson

Ronaldo Law Best

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:23 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Law, but no Best or Charlton ?
It was Best v Ronaldo and I think even though maybe Best was the most talented ever, I'd be able to rely on Ronaldo.

I haven't seen enough of Charlton to put him in the side. Giles said he was the best player he's ever played with or against but all I've seen are highlights/goals. Obviously a great player and if he was of my time he'd probably be in. With Law you can look at his goals and see he was a player who could play in any era. Watching a doc on him recently and he made all the players around him look old fashioned imo.

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:23 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Schmeichel

Irwin Vidic Rio Evra

Charlton Scholes Robson

Ronaldo Law Best
Stam

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:25 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Stam
Not for me.

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:26 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
It was Best v Ronaldo and I think even though maybe Best was the most talented ever, I'd be able to rely on Ronaldo.

I haven't seen enough of Charlton to put him in the side. Giles said he was the best player he's ever played with or against but all I've seen are highlights/goals. Obviously a great player and if he was of my time he'd probably be in. With Law you can look at his goals and see he was a player who could play in any era. Watching a doc on him recently and he made all the players around him look old fashioned imo.
There's some great and lengthy videos of Charlton knocking about on youtube. From what I have seen, the man had everything. Arguably our greatest footballer. Tho I guess he was the less glamorous of the three.

Unread 02-04-2020, 10:26 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
Not for me.
You don't think Stam was better than Vidic?

Unread 02-04-2020, 11:18 PM
red in cumbria

I remember how utterly execrable Giles was over Cantona in 1995, has he finally got over his bitterness a bit in old age?

Unread 02-04-2020, 11:18 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
You don't think Stam was better than Vidic?
I liked him. And Vidic had a mistake in him. But Vidic also had a goal in him, and could cover space left by an absent full back very well. A real leader too.

Him and Rio as a pair, for me.

Bit like asking why no Cantona.

Unread 02-04-2020, 11:20 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
I remember how utterly execrable Giles was over Cantona in 1995, has he finally got over his bitterness a bit in old age?
He was the same with ronaldo. Very good pundit though imo. Him and Dunphy were a great duo on Irish tv for decades.

Unread 02-04-2020, 11:36 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Schmeichel

Neville McGrath Ferdinand Irwin

Ronaldo Scholes Robson Giggs

-------Best-----Rooney-------

Unread 02-04-2020, 11:58 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Schmeichel

Neville McGrath Ferdinand Irwin

Ronaldo Scholes Robson Giggs

-------Best-----Rooney-------
First scan .A nicely balanced blend of old, new , steel , platinum and genius . Well put together

Then I noticed Paul McGrath

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:38 AM
jem

any team leaving out robson or mcgrath is going to get zero respect.

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:45 AM
Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
There's some great and lengthy videos of Charlton knocking about on youtube. From what I have seen, the man had everything. Arguably our greatest footballer. Tho I guess he was the less glamorous of the three.
When they talk about him the common descriptions are his thunderbolt shots, passing and football intelligence (such as his man marking job on Beckenbauer for England). It was this video that made me see Charlton in a new light because it shows the one thing that doesn't really get talked of much and that's what a great dribbler he was. Video is sped up but that doesn't take away the fact he was leaving defenders on their backsides. He looks like a blend of Scholes, Giggs and Rooney mixed in one.

Unread 03-04-2020, 12:48 AM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
When they talk about him the common descriptions are his thunderbolt shots, passing and football intelligence (such as his man marking job on Beckenbauer for England). It was this video that made me see Charlton in a new light because it shows the one thing that doesn't really get talked of much and that's what a great dribbler he was. Video is sped up but that doesn't take away the fact he was leaving defenders on their backsides. He looks like a blend of Scholes, Giggs and Rooney mixed in one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39eScEkGdlw
Giles was saying how he'd be annoyed not to get the ball then charton would beat loads of players and score from 40 yards.

If I knew chartton as a player then I probably pick him. Similary, no-one is going to pick scholes in 20 years.
Closed Thread