United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-03-2020, 12:48 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
You've had a mare.
He’s one of the greatest players of all time, hth.

Unread 23-03-2020, 12:51 AM
Switching Off

Day 2

Unread 23-03-2020, 01:28 AM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think if the last couple of years have taught us anything it's that if anything the likes of Giggs and Scholes are under-rated.

Giggs got every last drop out of his career and talent, he is the benchmark for longevity and professionalism, nobody in english football comes close.
Spot on.

Giggs an underachiever ffs

Unread 23-03-2020, 03:09 AM
guerreiro

Great player, yeah yeah, won the lot, legend yes...but...at times he was also immensely annoying and it’s not bullshit to suggest how his form picked up massively whenever it was coming into a contract renewal time.

Unread 23-03-2020, 03:32 AM
poppy

Did he go on to be the player I thought he would when he broke through as a teenager? No. Did he go on to have the career I thought he would? £#%&! yeah. And some.

I’d go with Keane on this: you can have a great career without being a great player (not saying he wasn’t ‘great’ - whatever that means). Like Keane, is not have him in my all-time United XI.

Schmeichel, when asked about Scholes, once said something along the lines of him having the highest “bottom level” of any player he’d ever seen. Well, if that’s the mark of greatness, then Giggs was probably not great. He had some proper stinkers.

I suppose it all comes down to what you personally define as greatness. Started out as a precocious and highly-rated left winger. As did Thierry Henry. Did he go on to be as good a player as Henry? No. Not if you’re being honest, he didn’t. Did he go on to be a fine player? Yes.

Giggs, a Manchester United legend. A truly great career. Arguably a great player. And a bit of a tit. Don’t suppose he cares what I think though.

Unread 23-03-2020, 04:41 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
Yeah, same as Scholes, who I recently learned only won player of the month twice. Must be gutted.

Unread 23-03-2020, 06:18 AM
believe

International virus breaks are getting worse

Unread 23-03-2020, 06:26 AM
shenwen

"Ryan Giggs. A fine player"

Familiarity breeding nonsense.

Somewhere on a Juventus forum: "Del Piero. He was okay I guess"

Ask fans of other clubs, especially overseas, what they thought of Giggs.

Unread 23-03-2020, 09:31 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
International virus breaks are getting worse

Unread 23-03-2020, 09:42 AM
Vedder

I love these bullshit goal scoring stats people bang on about on Twitter. He payed a flat midfield four ffs, his job was to run down the wing and whip the ball in, if he played in a forward 3 like the modern game he would of scored a shit load because his technique was so good, good in the air etc How many goals do we think Salah or Mane would score if they were told to hug the touch line

Unread 23-03-2020, 09:49 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think if the last couple of years have taught us anything it's that if anything the likes of Giggs and Scholes are under-rated.

Giggs got every last drop out of his career and talent, he is the benchmark for longevity and professionalism, nobody in english football comes close.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
I love these bullshit goal scoring stats people bang on about on Twitter. He payed a flat midfield four ffs, his job was to run down the wing and whip the ball in, if he played in a forward 3 like the modern game he would of scored a shit load because his technique was so good, good in the air etc How many goals do we think Salah or Mane would score if they were told to hug the touch line
Agree 100% with both of these. He also dropped into central midfield in the later stages of his career and was equally class in that position.

World class and an absolute footballing legend.

Unread 23-03-2020, 09:53 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vedder
What people also fail to mention is that during his time here we were consistently the highest scorers in the league because we had goals coming from everywhere on the pitch. A striker breaking the 20 goal mark was seen as an outstanding achievement when other teams had one player scoring 20-30+ and win in nothing.

To ask a question if the most decorated player in European football under achieved might be the most mental thing that’s happened throughout this last month.

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:09 AM
Whip Hubley

Tomorrow: Was Eric Cantona actually only as influential as Dong Fangzhuo?

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:22 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Tomorrow: Was Eric Cantona actually only as influential as Dong Fangzhuo?

One of the worst things the Internet has encouraged is this trend for having outlandish opinions on generally accepted truths just so you can look a bit different.

Didn’t Siders spend several days on here trying to argue that Alan Shearer actually wasn’t very good or something. Just bizarre. Some things are just self-evident.

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:24 AM
ScarFace

Spoilt as £#%&!. I remember disliking him for lots of periods. Would walk in out team now nevermind in his 20s

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:25 AM
no fun

He would be in any united top 10 surely?

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:27 AM
Hands of Scone

Neil Armstrong - was he a one moonwalk wonder?

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:32 AM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
He would be in any united top 10 surely?
Nah. George Best on the left, Ronaldo on the right.

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Big Norm

No.

Nft.

Unread 23-03-2020, 10:37 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Nah. George Best on the left, Ronaldo on the right.
The fact you don't know what a top ten is says it all.
Closed Thread