Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:00 PM
Sparky***

Thumbs down Premier league fixtures being played in America

Sounds like it's on the cards.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:03 PM
Ethers

I will genuinely £#%&! it all off if that ever happens.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:03 PM
red in cumbria

Another nail in the coffin, nqat.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:07 PM
20LEgend1999

Could it be be an "official" Premier League pre-season or post-season thing?

Basically what clubs do now over there but under the premier league banner. Surely proper games can't be played over there.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:12 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20LEgend1999
Could it be be an "official" Premier League pre-season or post-season thing?

Basically what clubs do now over there but under the premier league banner. Surely proper games can't be played over there.
You quite simply can't make a case for playing league games 3,000 miles away in California or whatever. Given the schedule of english football it just wouldn't work. You can't play Europe, Domestic cups and throw in some money making jaunt to USA in amongst that. I'd like to think the clubs would tell the PL to shove it.

Yeah sure NFL teams can manage to play in london because they do absolutely nothing for 6 months a year and their entire season is about 20 games from Sept-Feb. That's all they do.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:15 PM
dunk

It ruins the dynamic of the home/away format. Nah, not having it.

Could see one off cup games of some description though. How they'd manage the travelling I've no idea. We end up playing the early kick off in California Saturday and then early kick off CL on a Tuesday, Nqat.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:17 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Would have been leaked and/or more discussion by now.

Will be some pre-season bullshit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
No you wouldn't. Stop being dramatic.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:19 PM
no fun

The premier league suits would want the biggest game of the season as the showcase

So it’s city v Arsenal

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:22 PM
ZiggyStardust

No £#%&!ing chance they play games aboard

Backlash would be huge

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:24 PM
puressence

Should play the charity shield there

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:26 PM
Bunker Buster

Got Qatar's finger prints all over this....

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:27 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Would have been leaked and/or more discussion by now.

Will be some pre-season bullshit.

No you wouldn't. Stop being dramatic.
Yes I would

As others have pointed out, it seems pretty unworkable. But if the Premier League were to ever organise regular season fixtures anywhere overseas, let alone the US, it would be absolutely dead as a serious competition to me, and many others I suspect.

Unread 08-04-2023, 07:43 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Qatar to PL: we want to get United back to the top again but won’t bid unless we can take our boys to the US

PL to Qatar: oh, right you are then. Can’t think of anything better than United lording it every season again

Jeez

Unread 08-04-2023, 09:56 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
I reckon this is where we’re heading. Initially certain matches and then one off more regular games. Described as being played on the ‘world stage’ rather than Qatar or the states.

Truthfully, I’m struggling to be too arsed. Bit gutted that my kids won’t experience what I did but this is what the insta lads want so let them have it…

Mbappe playing against Messi is some air conditioned gold fish bowl with Ramadan breaks every 5 minutes.

Quote:
Yes I would

Tbf, I’ve only needed a little nudge for ages now. And then Erik came and I’m more enthused than I’ve been in years.

Do something like this and it can literally £#%&! off though.

Unread 08-04-2023, 10:10 PM
Fat Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
You quite simply can't make a case for playing league games 3,000 miles away in California or whatever. Given the schedule of english football it just wouldn't work. You can't play Europe, Domestic cups and throw in some money making jaunt to USA in amongst that. I'd like to think the clubs would tell the PL to shove it.

Yeah sure NFL teams can manage to play in london because they do absolutely nothing for 6 months a year and their entire season is about 20 games from Sept-Feb. That's all they do.
Also, the NFL were able to bribe teams to give up home games to play in London - if they wanted to host a Superbowl.

Unread 08-04-2023, 10:22 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Al
Also, the NFL were able to bribe teams to give up home games to play in London - if they wanted to host a Superbowl.
Well there you go.

They got a little taster of fan revolt after the super league fiasco. If they want to poke that hornets nest again then they're idiots.

Unread 08-04-2023, 10:32 PM
NedKelly

I’m with Hyman - was slowly losing interest in everything. I’ll always support us but following football became something akin to a habit rather than a passion. Erik ignited the flames because of his approach and ethos - it’s less chequebook manager and far more in line with Ferguson’s approach; the way he took hold of the Ronaldo situation was genuinely quite inspiring - not many would have the stones to do what he did there in their first year at a club of our stature. Since then we’ve won some games in wonderful style, managed to grind out other results on pure grit, won a trophy and we’re on course for one or two more. And, despite being hampered by injures and untimely suspensions, we’ve managed to keep relatively on track and I’ve no doubt we are getting top four this season; that’s something Klopp couldn’t manage in his first season and he was being hailed as the second coming.

But this kind of thing just puts a dampener on it all. A reminder that the people running the PL and many of the clubs in it are total vampires who couldn’t care less about the fans in this country - ‘legacy’ fans, I think they call us.

America Qatar it’s all moving farther and farther away from what makes the game special over here.

Unread 08-04-2023, 10:39 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I’m with Hyman - was slowly losing interest in everything. I’ll always support us but following football became something akin to a habit rather than a passion. Erik ignited the flames because of his approach and ethos - it’s less chequebook manager and far more in line with Ferguson’s approach; the way he took hold of the Ronaldo situation was genuinely quite inspiring - not many would have the stones to do what he did there in their first year at a club of our stature. Since then we’ve won some games in wonderful style, managed to grind out other results on pure grit, won a trophy and we’re on course for one or two more. And, despite being hampered by injures and untimely suspensions, we’ve managed to keep relatively on track and I’ve no doubt we are getting top four this season; that’s something Klopp couldn’t manage in his first season and he was being hailed as the second coming.

But this kind of thing just puts a dampener on it all. A reminder that the people running the PL and many of the clubs in it are total vampires who couldn’t care less about the fans in this country - ‘legacy’ fans, I think they call us.

America Qatar it’s all moving farther and farther away from what makes the game special over here.
Great post ...

Maybe it's just not for us anymore...

Unread 09-04-2023, 12:24 AM
Boring Dave

Quote:
You mean you’ll stop watching dodgy streams whilst sat behind the counter of a Nisa Local in Lllanfairghltlfghgh?

Oh noes 😱

Unread 09-04-2023, 12:37 AM
My Name is Heath

Is America still not allowing unvaccinated people in?

Could be a deal breaker
Closed Thread