United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Smiling Bastard

Default What's in it for Abu Dhabi United?

Since montonred's thread got off to a bad start, here's another go.

There seem to be two theories about why they bought city: 1) for the publicity and prestige that goes with owning a premier league club, 2) to make money.

If it's 1, then Dubai might get involved, and others too, so City might be the first of several clubs taken over by people with oil money. They won't be the new Chelsea, in other words, just a bit more likely to finish in the top half of the table each year. I also think if someone was really prepared to spend a fortune to get prestige they would have bought a more prestigious club to begin with. So I don't see Chelsea-type money going into City.

If it's 2, then they won't want to invest serious money. They'll make headline-grabbing signings every once in a while, but make no serious investment in the team. It isn't profitable to do what Abramovich has done.

Either way, things aren't as good for City as they think they are, and it could all either not happen after all or else end in disaster if ADU get bored of City.

Unread 03-09-2008, 03:36 PM
Ginners

Unread 03-09-2008, 03:37 PM
Amish Mash

Abu Dhabi United?

Don't you mean the A-Rabs?

Unread 03-09-2008, 03:43 PM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Mash
Abu Dhabi United?

My mistake.

Unread 03-09-2008, 03:50 PM
utd99

Default Shhhhhhhh!

Billy will hear.

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:17 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amish Mash
Abu Dhabi United?

A Rabs ?

I thought it was Rab C ?

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:19 PM
Amish Mash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
A Rabs ?

I thought it was Rab C ?
I was typing it from Jamesies point of view

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:23 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Well I for one think it is nailed-on that DIC will go all-out for the skaus now.

Abu Dhabi and Dubai are constantly trying to get the upper hand in terms of prestige...

Whatever happens, it won't be advantageous to us!

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mao's Favourite Starling
Well I for one think it is nailed-on that DIC will go all-out for the skaus now.

nightmare scenario !

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:29 PM
dodger

Quote:
The yanks won't sell though. DIC will turn their attentions elsewhere I suspect. They should buy out the Glazers...

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:31 PM
Mao's Favourite Starling

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
The yanks won't sell though. DIC will turn their attentions elsewhere I suspect.

Fingers crossed eh!

Imagine the sound of ciddys bubble bursting if DIC did come in for United

(not that I'm hoping it happens, too much at risk with these abramovich-types)

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:35 PM
montonred

compared to the Glazers saddling the club with debt is that?

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:40 PM
dodger

Quote:
Fingers crossed eh!

Imagine the sound of ciddys bubble bursting if DIC did come in for United

(not that I'm hoping it happens, too much at risk with these abramovich-types)
Slightly different situation though. They'd have to buy the debt but after that their investment is minimal.

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Smiling Bastard

What would it take to buy United? Does anyone have a clue what the Glazers are planning to do?

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:50 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Bastard
What would it take to buy United? Does anyone have a clue what the Glazers are planning to do?
£900 million?

Unread 03-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
£900 million?
Which is well within the reach of some of these middle east businessmen.

Would it be a good thing ? Well apart from the considerable debt, the Glazers have been reasonably good about keeping out of the footballing side of things. They don't seem to want to interfere with any part of that, thus giving Fergie and his support team a free hand. Ok, Fergie is successfull but still.

What we need in fact is some oil rich guy to donate 900 million to the Glazers.

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:05 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
What would it take to buy United?

seduce the banking industry scum with pound signs

Does anyone have a clue what the Glazers are planning to do?

you have seen United's squad? ask again in about 5 years
even if City somehow attract a load of great players they still need to raise their game beyond all recognition to compete for a top 4 spot

say what you like about Chelsea, but the fact is that they'd been competing for silverware for a while before Ambramovich came in

as for the vermin, if they do get cash rich, and they do get their new stadium, then finally we can have it on the pitch with the @#%&!s - we've been waiting for well over a decade for them to mount a £#%&!ing challenge now.

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:17 PM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Which is well within the reach of some of these middle east businessmen.
Which is why I don't think City are going to have as big a cash injection as they seem to expect. It would cost a fortune to turn them into the best team in the world, and for that fortune you could buy a better team, perhaps even United (if they are for sale). Instant glory. Even buying Liverpool would make more sense than buying City, if you're really going to invest that kind of money.

Quote:

Does anyone have a clue what the Glazers are planning to do?

you have seen United's squad? ask again in about 5 years
Yes, it's good. Does that mean they won't sell until it's bad? I don't see why they wouldn't sell if they thought the price was right.

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:26 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Yes, it's good. Does that mean they won't sell until it's bad? I don't see why they wouldn't sell if they thought the price was right.
Well, you're probably right.

But on the other hand, they didn't really need to bring in Berbatov. Whether they did it because they are enjoying the ride or they did it to increase the price of the brand, they still did it in the hope of over-seeing more on the field success. So they ain't going anywhere for a while yet.

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:32 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
Well, you're probably right.

But on the other hand, they didn't really need to bring in Berbatov. Whether they did it because they are enjoying the ride or they did it to increase the price of the brand, they still did it in the hope of over-seeing more on the field success. So they ain't going anywhere for a while yet.
Maybe their strategy was to wait until the really rich guys started getting interested in the PL, build up the brand (even more than it was) and then sell it at a profit. For a multi billionaire United is the biggest train set in the world
Closed Thread