United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:34 PM
Smiling Bastard

True. It's hard to think that's a good thing (them not going anywhere just yet), but the alternative could be even worse.

Unread 03-09-2008, 05:40 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
Maybe their strategy was to wait until the really rich guys started getting interested in the PL, build up the brand (even more than it was) and then sell it at a profit. For a multi billionaire United is the biggest train set in the world
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiling Bastard
True. It's hard to think that's a good thing (them not going anywhere just yet), but the alternative could be even worse.
bingo bingo

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Luffy

why would YOU buy a football club?

a) fun/enjoyment
b) give yourself an extra cushy job with a nice salary
c) get yourself abit famous if you fancy it

if you were just an investor, you'd probably look at another industry.

I imagine the Glazers really do have an interest in the well being of Utd, and for them, the enjoyment comes from not just the sport but the business side of things. Utd is the best run football club and paying off the debt is probably their little pet project. I dont know if they have some kind of masterplan to make shitloads of profit and nowt else - and if they do it can only be to buy, offload debt and sell on. They're here for more than profit I reckon. Still #@&%!s mind with the debt.

As for Abu Dhabi - would you prefer to buy Real Madrid and continue on someone elsess legacy or would you prefer to buy Atletico Madrid, challenge and displace Real as the biggest in the world and create your own legacy? I can see why City appeals to them and I reckon being Utd's neighbours is a big factor.

but imagine that the two biggest football teams in the world in our city surreal.

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

but imagine that the two biggest football teams in the world in our city surreal.
You mean richest.

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:51 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

SSN just said city's owner is worth 550billion dollars. 50 times richer than abramovich. That can't be good.

Unread 03-09-2008, 07:54 PM
Tumescent Throb

it was £26bn yesterday according to C4 News

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:03 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it was £26bn yesterday according to C4 News
No, that was just the transfer kitty

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jizza Jazza
No, that was just the transfer kitty
aha. too busy listening to Jim White confusing that poor bitter sap

oh

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:19 PM
Whatever

I don't think they are trying to make money from it. They are using Manchester City and the Premiership to promote Abu Dhabi to the world. It will encourage investment etc into the country.

Abu Dhabi is a richer country than Dubai yet Dubai has a lot of foreign investment, partly because of it's image. This is why they have got involved in horse racing and F1 too.

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:30 PM
Zorg

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:32 PM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
You're not sorry at all

Anyway sorry. They are both in the UAE. Abu Dhabi is still richer - has way more oil

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:37 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
You're not sorry at all

Anyway sorry. They are both in the UAE. Abu Dhabi is still richer - has way more oil
I was just corrected as Abu Dhabi is apparently a State as well as a city.
Ditto Dubai.

[SIZE="1"]sorry.

Unread 03-09-2008, 08:56 PM
mr.sitter

Quote:
As for Abu Dhabi - would you prefer to buy Real Madrid and continue on someone elsess legacy or would you prefer to buy Atletico Madrid, challenge and displace Real as the biggest in the world and create your own legacy? I can see why City appeals to them and I reckon being Utd's neighbours is a big factor.
but weren't they looking at 3 clubs ..arsenal included, but the city purchase was the easiest and cheapest ? that sounds like an organisation wanting a profit on their investment.
if it was just to boost the profile of abu dhabi, then why not buy united. these chaps are recond to be worth trillions of dollars, surely they could afford united , who are the biggest profile club in the world and probaly have the most fans in abu dhabi..strange..

oh yeah, i appeared at the UAE cup final in abu dhabi a few years back, dressed as a 6 metre high inflatable yellow hand

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter
but weren't they looking at 3 clubs ..arsenal included, but the city purchase was the easiest and cheapest ? that sounds like an organisation wanting a profit on their investment.
if it was just to boost the profile of abu dhabi, then why not buy united. these chaps are recond to be worth trillions of dollars, surely they could afford united , who are the biggest profile club in the world and probaly have the most fans in abu dhabi..strange..

oh yeah, i appeared at the UAE cup final in abu dhabi a few years back, dressed as a 6 metre high inflatable yellow hand
they can't just buy United, though

it's not for sale

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:10 PM
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.sitter

It seems Arsenal was the club they wanted but it was not only more pricey but because it was difficult to buy. City was ripe for someone to come and buy them. And they moved quickly. Doubt buying United would be that easy either.

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:14 PM
Zorg

but city is the biggest most massivest club in the world

Unread 03-09-2008, 09:40 PM
mr.sitter

Quote:
they can't just buy United, though

it's not for sale
i bet they could if they offered enough money to uncle malc

Unread 03-09-2008, 10:13 PM
Smiling Bastard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatever
I don't think they are trying to make money from it. They are using Manchester City and the Premiership to promote Abu Dhabi to the world. It will encourage investment etc into the country.
It's still a business move, then, so they won't want to lose too much on it.

There must be better ways of promoting a city-state than buying a club nobody's heard of and turning into the Tottenham Hotspur of the north.
Closed Thread