United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:25 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Think TenH got totally outdone by the new Villa guy today, utd were leggy and they set up to do us and it worked, some very tired nothing performances and the usual suspects played the way they do. Nearly all the prem teams can produce if you let them and to me that's what happened, utd went about it the wrong way.

Ronnie is obviously a gonna and Rashers has to be honed into one position, probs out on the left. Eric just looked tired, loads of nothing passes that went nowhere, he can't be playing so many games. As good as Martinez is, you play Linda and you will concede. Utd are just not a very good squad.

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:28 PM
ErikvanHaaksbergen

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Think TenH got totally outdone by the new Villa guy today, utd were leggy and they set up to do us and it worked, some very tired nothing performances and the usual suspects played the way they do. Nearly all the prem teams can produce if you let them and to me that's what happened, utd went about it the wrong way.

Ronnie is obviously a gonna and Rashers has to be honed into one position, probs out on the left. Eric just looked tired, loads of nothing passes that went nowhere, he can't be playing so many games. As good as Martinez is, you play Linda and you will concede. Utd are just not a very good squad.
A lot right here.
Eriksen would be absolutely at the bottom of the blame game. He's the one signing who has really over-achieved vs what is expected. But as said, he's playing a lot of football, even when he shouldn't. The persistence of playing 2 attacking midfielders (2 from Bruno/DVB/Eriksen) alongside 3 strikers/wingers away from home has been the undoing. 1 from Bruno/Eriksen away from home. Keeps the other fresh, and keeps the side solid. 11 goals conceded in first halfs .. that is a structural issue.

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:36 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
For those saying he got the team wrong, who should we have selected instead?

Just smacked off a team short of forward options to me.
mctog - cass - fred

eriksen

martial - rashford

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:46 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
mctog - cass - fred

eriksen

martial - rashford
Yeah Martial looked electric when he came on. Astonishing that Hag never started him.

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:53 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Yeah Martial looked electric when he came on. Astonishing that Hag never started him.
so play garnacho. or elanga. the point is that we would not have had no midfield.

however, on form, martial should have started.

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:57 PM
dunk

Martial clearly not fit enough to start tbh.

Unread 06-11-2022, 06:58 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
so play garnacho. or elanga. the point is that we would not have had no midfield.

however, on form, martial should have started.
We’ll never know

Get your point about the midfield though. I know he’s not many options but I do fear sometimes he’s a bit reluctant to change something if it’s worked some time before.

We’re going to need about six players in January with the number of games we’ve got the likes of Varane, Erikssen, Casemiro and Ronaldo are going to be £#%&!ed.

Unread 06-11-2022, 07:03 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Martial clearly not fit enough to start tbh.
shouldn't really be on the bench either, then. add a midfielder, keep pace up front. not donnie and ronaldo.

Unread 06-11-2022, 07:18 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
shouldn't really be on the bench either, then. add a midfielder, keep pace up front. not donnie and ronaldo.
Needed some minutes to start getting back up to speed, hence on the bench 9 subs available you know…?

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:03 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Donny won't get too many more chances, looking out of his depth.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:07 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Needed some minutes to start getting back up to speed, hence on the bench 9 subs available you know…?
whatever. the point here is about playing a midfield.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:22 PM
Denis Irwell

Quote:
He could have played Fred, but then we’d get complaints that he’s playing Fred.
So we play Beek instead?

Erik shouldn’t be worrying about complaints. Ideally, Fred won’t be a long term starter but he won’t stand and watch them repeatedly run through the mf.

I suppose Erik was trying to relieve other players during a killer schedule.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:33 PM
Stickman

De Gea should have saved the opener, all day.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis Irwell
So we play Beek instead?

Erik shouldn’t be worrying about complaints. Ideally, Fred won’t be a long term starter but he won’t stand and watch them repeatedly run through the mf.

I suppose Erik was trying to relieve other players during a killer schedule.
To replace Bruno, yes. It allowed Casemiro and Eriksen to stay where they have been playing. Point is, we didn’t have many options. If not Beek, then back to McFred. Fred doesn’t stop teams running through us either, btw. As the last few years have shown. The line up was fine. The performance.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:36 PM
armchair

Quote:
To replace Bruno, yes. It allowed Casemiro and Eriksen to stay where they have been playing. Point is, we didn’t have many options. If not Beek, then back to McFred. Fred doesn’t stop teams running through us either, btw. As the last few years have shown. The line up was fine. The performance.
Should've played Eriksen for Bruno and Fred beside Case.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:39 PM
Joe Biden

I'd play the Scottish player over beek.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:48 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Biden
Weirdly; the last 2 or 3 times he’s shovelled McT on it’s been as an advanced midfielder. Can’t understand why he didn’t do that today. He’s got a goal in him, can get about, is a nuisance and can drive forward with the ball, none of which Beek can do. Could switch with Eriksen when necessary too.

Unread 06-11-2022, 08:53 PM
suedeshoes

Quote:
I'd play Dubravka over him at the mo.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:00 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Deffo in a game like today when you know they are going to have a go, cup final, their place, new manager. Shut the shop and nick one. even when we started playing they looked like they could break at any time.

Game was mismanaged, team were tired and a load of the usual under performances. Surprised they didn't push on and look for more.

Unread 06-11-2022, 09:49 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
You don't need a midfield full of defensive minded cloggers like The Scottish Player in order to stop teams walking through you. You need positional and defensive discipline and for everyone to do their job. It's a tough ask to press as a team but if 2 or 3 players aren't doing it properly it £#%&!s everything up.

Like in the first 5 mins when lindelof gets pulled up the pitch to virtually the halfway line and lets his man turn him easy leaving an acre of space in behind and de gea makes a piss poor attempt at a save.