United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:04 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
First thing that came to my mind.

This is a good signing, and the idiots that are bashing the club for binning Lukaku and signing Ighalo have no clue.

Lukaku was dumped because he was mentally weak for this club, didn't fit the style of play, and was blocking Greenwood's progression.

Since he's gone, Rashford has continued developing into a top-class forward, and Greenwood has now scored 10 goals in 31 appearances for the first team this season.

It's clear that the club see Rashford and Greenwood as the future, and with Rashford's injury, we were light up top, so makes perfect sense to bring in a loan player, who also has pace, presence and Premier League experience.

His stats show that he's scored once every 2.5 games at club level, and once every 2 games at international level. Pretty decent. I'm not expecting him to set the world alight, but cover for Rashford, and a handful of goals between now and the end of the season would be good. The club really needs to make a big call in the summer on whether Martial is moved on and we bring in a new striker or not, as Greenwood will still need another season to grow into the first team IMO.
I think you're right TBH. We can't keep flogging the squad to death and we're light in most areas but we've got a new midfielder and a striker on loan. If he scores loads then great, if he doesn't then we can send him back to China (if there's any of it left) and not be saddled with him.

It's been said that both Spurs and Inter both made late attempts to sign him too... how true that is remains to be seen.

I remember how Fergie told us that Real Madrid had also been chasing Bebe once

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:05 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

This is a good signing, and the idiots that are bashing the club for binning Lukaku and signing Ighalo have no clue.

Lukaku was dumped because he was mentally weak for this club, didn't fit the style of play, and was blocking Greenwood's progression.

Since he's gone, Rashford has continued developing into a top-class forward, and Greenwood has now scored 10 goals in 31 appearances for the first team this season.

It's clear that the club see Rashford and Greenwood as the future, and with Rashford's injury, we were light up top, so makes perfect sense to bring in a loan player, who also has pace, presence and Premier League experience.

His stats show that he's scored once every 2.5 games at club level, and once every 2 games at international level. Pretty decent. I'm not expecting him to set the world alight, but cover for Rashford, and a handful of goals between now and the end of the season would be good. The club really needs to make a big call in the summer on whether Martial is moved on and we bring in a new striker or not, as Greenwood will still need another season to grow into the first team IMO.
Spot on. He’s a top red aswell...

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:05 PM
My Name is Keith

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Thisingtons

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:13 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

https://twitter.com/ron16mrl/status/...479158785?s=21
Good lad. Living the dream. Isn't this what we are always asking for? Players who would run through walls to play for the club? Well, here we are. It's not like signing Eric but it's a whole lot better than Owen and that one with the giant head.

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:14 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
Good lad. Living the dream. Isn't this what we are always asking for? Players who would run through walls to play for the club? Well, here we are. It's not like signing Eric but it's a whole lot better than Owen and that one with the giant head.
Harsh on Maguire, he a united fan too.

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:16 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Absolutely spot on that.

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:18 PM
armchair

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:30 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Harsh on Maguire, he a united fan too.

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:55 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
As I said I would prefer him to nothing, but being better than nothing is an extremely low bar and I struggle to understand how that is the height of our achievement.

We're talking about a 30 year old that most people haven't heard of, spent the last 3 years in China, hasn't played for anyone bigger than Watford and our own club considered less of a priority than Josh King - I'm not sure what we're supposed to be happy about.
We’re not. Other than we may get a few more points than we would have. Fact is we have a better chance of qualifying for the champions league and winning something than we do without the loan, assuming he’s fit and stuff, given ole wouldn’t have done any due diligence.

I’m terms of signing a permament striker, 20m seems to have been the extent of our budget this winter, given the fernendes signing. And that’s probably as much to do with the wage bill than anything.

We’re not supposed to be any more happy than liverpool fans felt when klopp signed caulker on loan or Tottenham fans when pochettino signed Llorente. Though I’m sure they were happier than this year when mourinho failed to get a striker in.

Rather this than mourinho publicly moaning the club won’t spend 50m on a 30 year old. Oles approach is the only one that’s goimg to get us anywhere near where we want to be in terms of the football.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norris Cole
My concern is he hits a sudden purple patch and we’re hoodwinked into spending 50 million on him with a 5 year 200k a week contract.
I think there’s as much chance of that as there was of fergie thinking the fledglings were the answer in 89. Ole knows the issues and knows what he needs to do to fix them in terms of sales and purchases. If he impresses, the most he’ll be is a cheap back up striker for a year or two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar
Anyone got the dossier on this guy? No f***ing clue how they've unearthed him.
Likely desperation for a certain type of backup striker as time was running out and ole’s agent telling him about this other client he has.

Is it true van gaal wanted to buy him when he was at Watford, or is that made up PR bullshit?

Unread 01-02-2020, 01:59 PM
Buck

Can't be worse than Falcao

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:00 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
£20 bet. To charity of our choice?
Sure thing

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:03 PM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Liverpool have done this over the past few years and their stop gaps turned into handy squad players. I still think Origi is utter **** but now hes an important member of their squad (yes, hes younger). Klopp still uses Lallana - hes never been any good but popped up against us to get them a lucky draw. He also comes on here and there as a decent squad player for them. Klopps had a few stop gaps that have helped to build what he has now.

My point is, its better to have someone than nobody. Let's be honest, those last 20 minutes against City, I'd have killed to have Ighalo up front. Something we just haven't got as a plan B.
I agree.

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:10 PM
Albert Tatlock

When does this fella arrive ?

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:12 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
When does this fella arrive ?
April.

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:13 PM
Cream

Neo spot on. Lukaku was mentally weak and a whinger.

Don't want that self pitying shite around our club.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

https://twitter.com/ron16mrl/status/...479158785?s=21
Was reading that he also played in Norway?

Josh King is Norwegian?

Haaland played in Norway...

Ole looking to bring lads in who know what a boss he is in his own land. I get it.

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:15 PM
puressence

Has the magnificent man spoke yet

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:16 PM
utd99

We would not have gotten a back up player of this potential for that price had it not been for the problems the Chinese League is having right now. We’ve done well to address a big hole in the squad, albeit temporarily, for the modern equivalent of two shillings and sixpence.

Forget the hysterical agendas and ignore the noise; they’d find a way to slag us off if we bought Messi.

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:19 PM
Curtis

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
Liverpool have done this over the past few years and their stop gaps turned into handy squad players. I still think Origi is utter **** but now hes an important member of their squad (yes, hes younger).
Also worth noting that they had him in France for a season on loan, during which time Le Quipe rated him as the worst player in the entire league. Now he’s scoring important goals and being really annoyingly handy.
You just can’t say for sure what will trigger someone into their best form. I’m not expecting Ighalo to pull up trees but a dream move to his supported club? I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t at least “f***in’ run around a bit” for the team. Maybe wake some of our sleepy c***s up while he’s at it.

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:44 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

Exactly.

Ighalo isn't replacing Lukaku. Rashford is.

Lukaku is the main man if he plays for you. He has good enough attributes to do that if his style suits. Like Inter.

He doesn't suit Ole. His game isn't flexible enough to adapt and he isn't going to be a squad player.

He had to go.

Rashford became our main man and then the issue was finding a back up striker.

We didn't do it in the summer. We should have and now we're in a position where the squad is thin and needs an instant boost.

He's not the answer to anything other than what he's supposed to be - a six month, short term bit of help.

It doesn't reflect on the long term targets and there's virtually no risk.

It's not him or Lukaku. Its him or nobody.

Unread 01-02-2020, 02:46 PM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I know i'm a bit of a doomlord and we all laugh at the "fold the club" bants on here...

but £#%&!ing hell the various window lickers and assembled mongs on Sky talking about this 6 month loan like we've just signed someone from the dog n duck on a 10 year deal and given them 100k a week..

"Desperation" "shows that they're not at the top any more"

Who exactly else were we supposed to sign as a striker? Not exactly a world of short-term options out there.

Charlie Nicholas called it "alarming" and Klingon headed bert Joleon Lescott says "we're doing everything for the short term"...

Literally one day after we signed a 24 yr old portugal international.

What a load of hysterical shite.
True, but it shows how utterly piss poor the planning was in the summer, when everyone knew we needed a striker. And we also signed a player we were linked to all summer. It is a joke that these two positions were not addressed then rather than 20 odd league games in.
Closed Thread