United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:15 PM
Darth Vidic

Default Anderson - can he step it up this year?

Quote:
“I’m so happy and excited to be back again after six months without football,” Anderson said. “I’ve been really excited to be back. I’ve been so happy ever since I got back to Carrington and I just can’t wait to play again. I’m feeling good. I’ve been training for two weeks and I’m very happy. I think maybe very soon I’ll come back again and start playing normally with the rest of the team. I have had no problems at all with the injury. I’m just running and training now really hard, so I can come back and train normally with the team. I think the new season will be very difficult because a lot of teams are becoming strong. But in pre-season we have looked very strong and I think we will come again this season and we will aim to win everything.”

This player confuses me.

He comes to a new country, new language, very little 1st team footballing experience behind him, off the back of a serious injury, is played in a new position, and puts in some excellent displays, especially away to Liverpool at Anfield. Some excellent - although at times unnecessarily over-ambitious - passing, a combative nature and some superb surging runs, carrying the ball forward at pace from deep in midfield were a joy to watch.

'If this is what he's like now, surely one day he can be one of, if not the best in the world?'

Except it hasn't really turned out like that. For one thing his shooting is atrocious. For another he doesn't seem to pace himself like a central midfielder, he makes so many lung bursting sprints that its impossible to get back and cover, and he also ball watches.

So why hasn't he become, or looked like becoming, the player we hoped?

Is he being played in the wrong position? For me, I expected him to be played much more further forward, but he hasn't looked that dangerous there - perhaps we just need to perservere with him there?

He doesn't seem to drive forward with the ball that much anymore. Have injuries robbed him of the pace or confidence? Or is he just unwilling to do it given the risks of losing the ball in the position he plays?

The other thing is there's been lots of talk on these forums about his attitude - I can't comment on that, does anyone have any genuine information on this?

In the midst of all this debating/arguing about what signings are needed, it seems we've forgotten that we have a player in our squad who 3 years ago was one of the brightest prospects in the world

In his first seasons, he showed signs of that potential. Have people given up on him or do some still think he can make it? I don't mean as an average or 'good' first team player at United, but as the genuine world class - or world's best - player we hoped he would become?

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:17 PM
Switching Off

Default Re: Anderson - can he step it up this year?

Yes.

Will he? Hope so.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:18 PM
thenorthwillriseagain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Vidic
The other thing is there's been lots of talk on these forums about his attitude - I can't comment on that, does anyone have any genuine information on this?
look at his quotes you've posted, seems like a fantastic attitude to me, a bit more perseverance will do him and united good in the end

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:22 PM
carlosartorial

Not this again.

He's a £#%&!ing waster.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Hugh Jardon

oh £#%&!ing yawn - here we go again

he is absolute dogshite

i hope he never pulls the shirt on again

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:29 PM
Cream

you say, DV, that he makes wasteful, lung busting runs but that he doesn't seem to be making forward runs from midfield anymore...

Probs been told about the former but not yet worked out when it is appropriate to make the runs. See Scholes the other night against Newcastle, he knows how to 'pace himself' etc, as you put it.

Probably just inexperience and maybe a bit of balooning on the side. Lots of potential, still. Up to him whether or not he looks at scholes and giggs and decides to follow their lead.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Crumps

Could be class, he said himself that his leg break caused issues with his confidence when it came to running with the ball. If he can add the old side of his game to the experience he gained in his first year we'll have a proper box to box midfielder with a very high skill level. His shooting has been £#%&! but again that's an issue of confidence imo as he's proved that he can finish. Yet again on the internet it's a case of too many too willing to write off a young player. I think the main reason there was no big signing in centre mid was that Fergie still has faith he'll come good and so do I. If we sold him now I reckon we'd regret it as we watched him develop in to one hell of a player elsewhere.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
Not this again.

He's a £#%&!ing waster.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Jardon
oh £#%&!ing yawn - here we go again

he is absolute dogshite

i hope he never pulls the shirt on again

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:39 PM
dunk

Thumbs up Re: Anderson - can he step it up this year?

It'll be good to have him back and he will be a valuable member of the team and squad.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:40 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It'll be good to have him back and he will be a valuable member of the team and squad.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:42 PM
carlosartorial

Over the last 3 years I can safely say I've spent more time reading about how great Anderson could be/might be/is definitely gonna be than actually watching him play well in football matches. All this talk of 'potential' is wishful thinking, ffs - anyone with a head and all their limbs intact has 'potential'. He's made about as much of an impression at United as Kleberson did.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:42 PM
DerMot

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Not quite good enough to be a United midfielder. Always looks like everything is an effort.

The opposite of effortlessly is how he plays.

You know how some players look comfortable on the ball. He is exactly unlike that.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:45 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMot
Not quite good enough to be a United midfielder. Always looks like everything is an effort.

You know how some players look comfortable on the ball. He is exactly unlike that.
Yes, but he has great potential!

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:47 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerMot

Basically what you're saying is he's uncomfortable on the ball?

Remember his miskick against Barcelona in Rome. Just one instance but it summed up that night and his contribution.

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:47 PM
dunk

We shall see....

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:52 PM
dodger

Sonny Anderson?

Unread 18-08-2010, 01:54 PM
Sullingtons

Viv?

Unread 18-08-2010, 02:05 PM
elephantstone

they should put him out on loan to see how he gets on, I would even consider sending him to a championship side. If he doesnt apply himself and do the business just get rid.

Unread 18-08-2010, 02:06 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by elephantstone
they should put him out on loan to see how he gets on, I would even consider sending him to a championship side. If he doesnt apply himself and do the business just get rid.
Blackpool would be ideal

Unread 18-08-2010, 02:17 PM
History

A step up anything would help, A kerb, Stairs, or even a ladder the fat @#%&!.
Closed Thread