Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
View Poll Results: Fake crowd noise
yes 42 60.87%
no 27 39.13%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 28-06-2020, 10:30 AM
Pop

Have Sky/BT piped YNWA into any games yet?

Unread 28-06-2020, 11:35 AM
Jeff the Red

I'm waiting for some low paid intern to slip in "Feed the Scoucers" or "You'll Never Get a Job".

Unread 28-06-2020, 11:37 AM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff the Red
I'm waiting for some low paid intern to slip in "Feed the Scoucers" or "You'll Never Get a Job".
Classic Jeffery.

Unread 29-06-2020, 07:25 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Better than the real atmosphere at some grounds.
This is my concern.

Now it's been established as an acceptable way to improve the experience of watching on the telly, how long before some of the more lacklustre games are pepped up a bit by the use of fake crowd noise?

Just another step along the way to making actual supporters in the stadium obsolete.

Unread 29-06-2020, 08:26 AM
Drexl

more immersive without

reminds me of when i actually went to games

Unread 29-06-2020, 08:30 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by red red robbo
This is my concern.

Now it's been established as an acceptable way to improve the experience of watching on the telly, how long before some of the more lacklustre games are pepped up a bit by the use of fake crowd noise?

Just another step along the way to making actual supporters in the stadium obsolete.
Yes pal, making actual supporters in the stadium who still provide a huge chunk of revenue for a lot of clubs obsolete is definitely the aim.

Unread 29-06-2020, 08:35 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Yes pal, making actual supporters in the stadium who still provide a huge chunk of revenue for a lot of clubs obsolete is definitely the aim.
Not for the top clubs they don't.

Maybe obsolete is probably too strong a word, but insignificant maybe.
So still there, but no one gives a shit about them.

Unread 29-06-2020, 08:54 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Not for the top clubs they don't.

Maybe obsolete is probably too strong a word, but insignificant maybe.
So still there, but no one gives a shit about them.
Yes, they do.

United made £110m from match day revenue in 2019, their total revenue was just over £600m.

Unread 29-06-2020, 08:57 AM
Bunker Buster

Jesus robbo

Unread 29-06-2020, 09:07 AM
jem

Quote:
This is my concern.

they already balance the noise so that the vocal away support seems to be filling the stadium, whilst the home fans sit silent (and you can't hear them unless the all make a noise anyway). tv has never had the sound of the stadium.

Unread 29-06-2020, 09:10 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Yes, they do.

United made £110m from match day revenue in 2019, their total revenue was just over £600m.
That's 18%, five or so years ago it was 40% of and five years before that it was over 50%. Spot the trend?

What's the TV income?

EDIT: This shows the decreasing contribution matchday income is making to premier league clubs.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football...atchday%20fans.

Note it's the bigger teams that stand to lose more, the same teams that would benefit most from non-collective negotiation of TV rights. Could United replace the matchday income by negotiating their own world-wide TV deals?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
they already balance the noise so that the vocal away support seems to be filling the stadium, whilst the home fans sit silent (and you can't hear them unless the all make a noise anyway). tv has never had the sound of the stadium.
At least it was real noise recorded at the time. Fake crowd noise is as bad as canned laughter.

Unread 29-06-2020, 10:00 AM
Ethers

Hang on, we’re not talking about trends. You said it wasn’t a big chunk of the revenue for the top clubs.

For United it’s just under a fifth of their total revenue.

You were wrong, it’s cool.

Unread 29-06-2020, 10:30 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Hang on, we’re not talking about trends. You said it wasn’t a big chunk of the revenue for the top clubs.

For United it’s just under a fifth of their total revenue.

You were wrong, it’s cool.
I disputed your claim that it is a "huge chunk" of their revenue. For half the premier league teams it is less than 10% of their income. That's not a huge chunk, it would be nice as a pay rise, but if it halved it's unlikely that any of them would go out of business.

My argument was about the trend for bums on seats becoming less important to clubs and if fake crowd noise makes the "product" still acceptable to the TV customers then that will continue.

Unread 29-06-2020, 11:42 AM
Red Santos

It's fake. i hate it.

kinda reminds me of this commentator in escape to victory

Unread 29-06-2020, 01:15 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Santos
It's fake. i hate it.

kinda reminds me of this commentator in escape to victory
Top red.

Pele and big Sky Stallone soon shut him up (and John Wark of course)

Unread 29-06-2020, 01:37 PM
Ethers

Quote:
I disputed your claim that it is a "huge chunk" of their revenue. For half the premier league teams it is less than 10% of their income. That's not a huge chunk, it would be nice as a pay rise, but if it halved it's unlikely that any of them would go out of business.

My argument was about the trend for bums on seats becoming less important to clubs and if fake crowd noise makes the "product" still acceptable to the TV customers then that will continue.
Classic Robbo, changing what he said again

“Not for the top clubs they don't”

Then you literally post a link that shows it’s the top clubs that have matchday revenue as a higher percentage of their income than the smaller clubs

The top clubs are all around the 20% mark. That’s a huge chunk of their income by any standards, and would be the difference between them making a profit or not.

Unread 29-06-2020, 01:47 PM
red red robbo

Quote:
Classic Robbo, changing what he said again

“Not for the top clubs they don't”

Then you literally post a link that shows it’s the top clubs that have matchday revenue as a higher percentage of their income than the smaller clubs

The top clubs are all around the 20% mark. That’s a huge chunk of their income by any standards, and would be the difference between them making a profit or not.
Yeah, I'll give you that.

But then my argument was that the top clubs could more easily replace that revenue (or some of it, there's no way the stadia will be empty) with individually negotiated TV deals.

It doesn't negate my basic premise which is that crowds at games are losing their importance, no matter how poorly I argued it

Unread 29-06-2020, 03:09 PM
jem

ethers 1 (rrr o.g.) - 0 rrr

Unread 29-06-2020, 03:24 PM
est.1878

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
ethers 1 (rrr o.g.) - 0 rrr

: pipedcrowdcelebration:

Unread 29-06-2020, 03:35 PM
red red robbo

Quote: