'what do you think of 3-5-2 paul?'

'dunno, not arsed really'

Unread 17-01-2015, 05:58 AM
Clarkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff
'what do you think of 3-5-2 paul?'

'dunno, not arsed really'
"I only ever won the Jimmy Murphy young player of the year award...How dare they!!!!!"

He is right though about 3-5-2.....We're a long way from the days of Kan Kan, Sharpe and Giggs sadly

Unread 17-01-2015, 08:52 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Absolutely. Scholes says it's hard to create 1v1 situations but that's a quite basic outlook.
Tbf Scholes having played around 600 games at the highest level and trained all of his life is a lot better placed to make that judgement imo than us supporters on a football forum. He obviously has a granular view of the game too but he has to give a slightly more black and White view so readers knows exactly here he stands on it.

Unread 17-01-2015, 12:17 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
True up to a point. The 2008 team was built on a exceptional defensive unit, great attacking variation and an excellent depth of squad. However if that team was asked to play 3-5-2 I doubt either Vidic or Brown would excel in building the play from the back. Both excellent defenders but mediocre ball players at best. Smalling to his credit is showing signs of at least attempting to develop that side of his game but with his technical deficiencies it is unlikely to ever be natural to him.

The issues with the lack of pace in attack were inevitable as soon as the transfer activity was concluded, LVG is exacerbating that problem with his insistence on 3 at the back.
I'm not sure that's true.

Especially having watched Smalling this season.

Unread 17-01-2015, 06:05 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Tbf Scholes having played around 600 games at the highest level and trained all of his life is a lot better placed to make that judgement imo than us supporters on a football forum. He obviously has a granular view of the game too but he has to give a slightly more black and White view so readers knows exactly here he stands on it.
LvG has managed 800+ games and been in football longer than Scholes has been alive; maybe his judgement is worth a nod too.

But agree that you can't beat an ex pro for laser sharp analysis. Never miss Merse's column in the Daily Star

Unread 17-01-2015, 06:07 PM
Alan

Quote:
LvG has managed 800+ games and been in football longer than Scholes has been alive; maybe his judgement is worth a nod too.

But agree that you can't beat an ex pro for laser sharp analysis. Never miss Merse's column in the Daily Star
How long has vG been managing in this league pal?

Unread 17-01-2015, 06:11 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan
How long has vG been managing in this league pal?
How many times did Scholes play in a team that played 3-5-2, pal?

Unread 17-01-2015, 06:32 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:

Even you have to admit that LvG continuing to play 352 is absolute madness

It clearly doesn't suit the squad and results in us creating hardly any chances throughout the 90 minutes

Either buy players who suit a 352 system or play a system that suits our current squad

If he plays 352 in our next match I will seriously £#%&!ing lose it

Unread 17-01-2015, 06:37 PM
Alan

Quote:
How many times did Scholes play in a team that played 3-5-2, pal?
How many trophies did he win in this country not playing in one?

Unread 17-01-2015, 06:45 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Even you have to admit that LvG continuing to play 352 is absolute madness

It clearly doesn't suit the squad and results in us creating hardly any chances throughout the 90 minutes

Either buy players who suit a 352 system or play a system that suits our current squad

If he plays 352 in our next match I will seriously £#%&!ing lose it
No, I don't think it's madness. The system has overseen an improvement in results. Plus LvG is one of the most tactically astute managers in the world and knows how to build a team, which I respect. I don't have to get it; I trust his decisions.

No system is a perfect one for the current players. I only saw ten minutes today, where it looked like some kind of diamond. No surprise that in that time their right-back had their best chance, as a diamond with Falcao not covering the flank can leave opposition fullbacks with attacking impunity.

Im a 4-3-3 fan. It's how I expect to see us long term. But there's a decent reason for everything LvG does.

Unread 17-01-2015, 07:00 PM
Switching Off

Default Formation watch

What happened today? Didn't see it but from the subs looks like a couple of formation changes.

Unread 17-01-2015, 07:28 PM
Grimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Switching Off
What happened today? Didn't see it but from the subs looks like a couple of formation changes.
Yep.

Unread 17-01-2015, 07:41 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
Yep.
Knew it

Unread 17-01-2015, 08:28 PM
PIMPY

Quote:
With the interval approaching there was unrest among United's followers, with chants of "4-4-2" and "attack, attack, attack" in the face of a performance lacking any creativity
From BBC's match report.

Hope this is the last time we see this 3-5-2 shite. Also play Rooney up top and Di Maria in midfield ffs.

Unread 17-01-2015, 08:39 PM
Neo

Looks like Ziggy is going in hard for S/Side's Sage of the Year title.

Two titans clashing, and the formation argument has completely divided them. This could be epic.

Unread 18-01-2015, 02:07 PM
Swagger

I'm british so 4 at the back is all I understand.

Remember the stupid @#%&!s who also chanted "4-4-2" before we went on to nearly dominate Europe playing 4-5-1 within 3 years?

Footballing luddites.

Unread 18-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Coracao

Quote:
No, I don't think it's madness. The system has overseen an improvement in results. Plus LvG is one of the most tactically astute managers in the world and knows how to build a team, which I respect. I don't have to get it; I trust his decisions.

No system is a perfect one for the current players. I only saw ten minutes today, where it looked like some kind of diamond. No surprise that in that time their right-back had their best chance, as a diamond with Falcao not covering the flank can leave opposition fullbacks with attacking impunity.

Im a 4-3-3 fan. It's how I expect to see us long term. But there's a decent reason for everything LvG does.
You should be thankful. As once again we served up some of the worst football i've seen a United side play. Through a combination of a shit formation, and bizarre player selection and positioning.

People may claim that 3 at the back limits the oppositions opportuntunities (debatable considering how many chances we give away every week), but more importantly, it completely nullifies ourselves. Which is unacceptable for a club of this stature and the philosophy of which United is truly supposed to be about, i.e. attacking football.

Unread 18-01-2015, 02:17 PM
Part 36 Offer

Quote:

Unread 18-01-2015, 02:40 PM
Stickman

Quote:
No, I don't think it's madness. The system has overseen an improvement in results.
An improvement in results for which period?

Unread 18-01-2015, 06:51 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
An improvement in results for which period?
The last time we played with a back four was against Crystal Palace at home. We won 1-0 and the general consensus was it was turgid. Previous to that, we'd won two of our last six games playing a back four, including a win over Everton in which they dominated spells.

LvG switched to a back three for Southampton and since then it's P:12 W:8 D:3 L1

Given that the three draws were Villa, Stoke and Spurs and therefore not awful results, it's really just the Southampton game that has been the big letdown since the switch back to a three. I prefer a back four as I prefer 4-3-3; I just don't go along with the notion that there's no logic or reason behind decisions made by one of the greatest coaches in the world
Closed Thread