Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:08 AM
dunk

Default 6 behind with a game in hand...

...form improving all the time.

Paul Scholes back to fitness at any time

Ronaldo European Player Of The Year

Rafael's Emergence, Fabio'll be fit soon

Possebon, Evans, Welbeck, Campbell, to name but a few...

A new winger on the way (Tosic)

Fergie's never going to retire

Reigning English and European Champions

Snow on the ground, only 3 weeks of work left

World Championships in a minute

Damn it feels good to be a Mancster......

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:18 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk

Wrong. We've been £#%&!ing shocking this season. Ain't you 'eard?

I for one am surprised by this fluctuation in fortunes over a long season. Never happened before.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Crumps

I'd be extremely worried if we did it any other way tbh. If we had started well we'd be crap by Easter.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Torquemada

Most of our difficult away ties have been played now, so we can look forward to us picking up a few points, and the others in the top 5 dropping a few. Arsenal are too erratic to be serious contenders. Chelski definitely have a new found soft underbelly, and the Murderers have a very thin squad, and aren't very good anyway. Reasons to be cheerful...

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:30 AM
dunk

City 2 points off the drop zone

Grilled Bacon and tomato sandwiches for breakfast

(feel free to add your own!)

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:32 AM
sweetleftfoot

Skaus booing off their own team last night

I just wish they'd give Benitez that new contract today before the board see through him...

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:35 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada
Most of our difficult away ties have been played now, so we can look forward to us picking up a few points, and the others in the top 5 dropping a few. Arsenal are too erratic to be serious contenders. Chelski definitely have a new found soft underbelly, and the Murderers have a very thin squad, and aren't very good anyway. Reasons to be cheerful...
Sound logic, but football doesn't always work like that. I'm always amazed at how little people learn from years of watching football (this isn't aimed at you, Torque). Arsenal are a good example. Completely written off against us after poor form. A dangerous thing to do with a good side. And somewhat predictably, they enjoyed being the underdog and were able to express themselves. So what happens when they play Chelsea? Does anyone consider the last time they were in this situation? Nope! Written off again.

Point is, the season is a long old haul. Form is form and some people can't see past it. Odd results are thrown up: Nobody would've thought that Liverpool and Chelsea would fail to register a single goal against Newcastle, Fulham and West Ham at home. That's what makes it great. We've benefitted from it, but we may be the victims of it next time. We will drop points in those games we now consider to be easier away fixtures. We may lose a couple. We may not. This is why I was always happy for our points difference to remain manageable going in the New Year. It appears that will be the case.

But the extreme reaction based purely on the moment always amazes me: Liverpool fans have claimed for years that they would be happy to just be involved in a title race and keep it competitive past Christmas. They're going to get that wish....but then they boo their team when they go from 2nd to 1st because it wasn't a win.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:37 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
City 2 points off the drop zone

Grilled Bacon and tomato sandwiches for breakfast

(feel free to add your own!)
By myself at home today. Gonna treat myself to a great big dump with the bathroom door wide open. Now, THAT is luxury, my friend.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:38 AM
denis lawless

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Return of JC
Sound logic, but football doesn't always work like that. I'm always amazed at how little people learn from years of watching football (this isn't aimed at you, Torque). Arsenal are a good example. Completely written off against us after poor form. A dangerous thing to do with a good side. And somewhat predictably, they enjoyed being the underdog and were able to express themselves. So what happens when they play Chelsea? Does anyone consider the last time they were in this situation? Nope! Written off again.

Point is, the season is a long old haul. Form is form and some people can't see past it. Odd results are thrown up: Nobody would've thought that Liverpool and Chelsea would fail to register a single goal against Newcastle, Fulham and West Ham at home. That's what makes it great. We've benefitted from it, but we may be the victims of it next time. We will drop points in those games we now consider to be easier away fixtures. We may lose a couple. We may not. This is why I was always happy for our points difference to remain manageable going in the New Year. It appears that will be the case.

But the extreme reaction based purely on the moment always amazes me: Liverpool fans have claimed for years that they would be happy to just be involved in a title race and keep it competitive past Christmas. They're going to get that wish....but then they boo their team when they go from 2nd to 1st because it wasn't a win.
words of wisdom mate...WORDS OF WISDOM

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:43 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:

When is Rafael 2: Revenge of the Killer Rafael actually gonna be fit? He seems to have been nearly fit for about a month. I know it's a shoulder injury, but don't know how he got it or when he's expected back.

On the subject of Tosic. SSN said that Fergie said Tosic will join in January and will 'immediately compete for a first team place'. Glad we aren't just signing him and then shipping him off for two years.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
wiganste

Quote:
When is Rafael 2: Revenge of the Killer Rafael actually gonna be fit? He seems to have been nearly fit for about a month. I know it's a shoulder injury, but don't know how he got it or when he's expected back.

On the subject of Tosic. SSN said that Fergie said Tosic will join in January and will 'immediately compete for a first team place'. Glad we aren't just signing him and then shipping him off for two years.
That says to me Nani's place is in danger....

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:45 AM
dunk

Quote:
He had an operation on said shoulder and is well into his recovery, I believe, I would imagine he'll be back in a month tops.

Quote:
£#%&!ing good news IMO. Hope we get the other lad too. We could do with an attacking threat from the middle of midfield, no matter the age

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
Fountz

Quote:

Perfect. Agree with all of that.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:46 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
That says to me Nani's place is in danger....
Nah, replacement for Giggs, allows Ronaldo to move more central

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:48 AM
wiganste

Quote:
Nah, replacement for Giggs, allows Ronaldo to move more central
We'll see.

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Torquemada

Fully aware of that JC but I think we've had our wobble. Sure, there will be a game here and there we fail to win, which should have been a safe banker, but our squad is coming together nicely now. Hargreaves aside, our injury list isn't too worrying, and we have a wealth of options in virtually every position.

Our defence, in particular, is looking imperious, especially when you consider the attacking options Rafael and Evra give us. We also have Evans and Brown as cover who would make most premiership side's first team. Our midfield is stuffed full of talent, and with Scholes coming back, we can also add experience to that. A new winger can only add even further options. Only up front can it really be said that we have stuttered a little, but quality always shines through, and between Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Manucho, Wellbeck and (if he is recallled) Campbell, we have strength in depth and some raw talent. I'm cautiously optimistic...

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:50 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
He had an operation on said shoulder and is well into his recovery, I believe, I would imagine he'll be back in a month tops.

£#%&!ing good news IMO. Hope we get the other lad too. We could do with an attacking threat from the middle of midfield, no matter the age
Erm, Big Dazza

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:53 AM
fergieslovechild

Robinho (current city captain) calling his team mates losers in the press, I'm sure something similar happened at another club recently......hmmm who was that and what happened next.....

Unread 02-12-2008, 10:56 AM
The Return of JC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torquemada
Fully aware of that JC but I think we've had our wobble. Sure, there will be a game here and there we fail to win, which should have been a safe banker, but our squad is coming together nicely now. Hargreaves aside, our injury list isn't too worrying, and we have a wealth of options in virtually every position.

Our defence, in particular, is looking imperious, especially when you consider the attacking options Rafael and Evra give us. We also have Evans and Brown as cover who would make most premiership side's first team. Our midfield is stuffed full of talent, and with Scholes coming back, we can also add experience to that. A new winger can only add even further options. Only up front can it really be said that we have stuttered a little, but quality always shines through, and between Rooney, Berbatov, Tevez, Manucho, Wellbeck and (if he is recallled) Campbell, we have strength in depth and some raw talent. I'm cautiously optimistic...

Absolutely agree with every point. My point is not to dampen the optimism - we've every right to feel optimistic. My concern is remaining vigilante against thinking some games are a given and that it will only get easier from here. It's like a run-in, how often does the team who has the supposedly easier run-in end up not winning it? More than you'd expect.

I'm sure the players and staff are aware of this, I just hope the majority of fans are. The gap could get bigger before it gets smaller. We just need to look at the bigger picture if it does. Ideally, we'd kick on with a series of wins and get that gap to 3 points. But, say we don't win at Spurs and the gap goes back to 8, then we just shouldn't freak out too much, is my point.

On Friday, almost everyone was a gloomy @#%&!. Today, it's all coming up roses. A good weekend, that's all it took. Fickle £#%&!ers, aren't we?

Unread 02-12-2008, 11:05 AM
The taste of...

Those belooded £#%&!ing idiots thinking that signing a team of mercanaries is gonna change things
Closed Thread