United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:06 PM
MUFC One Love

Default Our team next season....

I expect it to be something like this...

VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Hargreaves
Carrick
Scholes

Ronaldo
Tevez
Rooney

Very good if you ask me, then of course we now have a strong bench to.

A United and Barca European Cup final?

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM
Tiberian

VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Carrick
Hargreaves

Ronaldo
Rooney
Tevez

Saha

With Rooney starting from the left, but interchanging with Tevez.

Giggs
Anderson
Nani
Scholes

Some creative options there.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:15 PM
TreeFiddy

With the likes of Giggs, Nani and Anderson all fighting for a place in the team, I think we could be looking at a lot of squad rotation. Hopefully not too much though. In some ways, knowing our best eleven every game last season helped to provide some consistency.

Edit: Tiberian, Scholes is still far too good to be pushed out the team. I don't think Hargreaves should be starting right away. We can do without him for games against inferior Premiership sides. We'll need him in the big games though.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:19 PM
borsuk

scholes is still the best player at the club, as he has been for the last ten years. he will still be a starter next season.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:25 PM
violater

by january anderson will be starting near eneough every game.

ill "btt" this thread.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:38 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Carrick
Hargreaves

Ronaldo
Rooney
Tevez

Saha

With Rooney starting from the left, but interchanging with Tevez.

Giggs
Anderson
Nani
Scholes

Some creative options there.
If you honestly believe Fergie will start Saha ahead of Scholes you need sectioning.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:46 PM
MJ Ramone

IF the Tevez deal does go through no problem then we'll have plenty of options next season.
But as somebody already said, I hope we don't chop & change too much. We still need continuity.

Tevez & Rooney up front for me with any kind of combination you like behind/alongside them. Ronaldo, Scholesy, Giggs, Nani, Anderson, Carrick, Hargreaves etc..
Pretty impressive to say the least.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:49 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatboy Shrek
If you honestly believe Fergie will start Saha ahead of Scholes you need sectioning.
Put all 3 of Hargreaves, Carrick and Scholes in the same team and we will lack an attacking thrust. All 3 will occupy the same space, Scholes could be asked to push further forward into the role Giggs played last year as the off striker, but for me he would not be effective in that role, lacks the mobility and pace and would be constantly dropping deep to get time on the ball.

Saha is still the closest to a main striker we have in the squad, a player who can stretch defences, hold up the ball and create space for the likes of Rooney, Giggs, Tevez, Ronaldo to play in.

We are going to have to start moving away form Scholes anyway. he had an excellent season last year, but in the big games against teams who could keep the ball and make him run he was something of a defensive liability, that is only going to become more apparent. Carrick and Hargreaves would provide a more solid base.

Our best performance of last season came against Roma with a similar system. Fletcher and Carrick providing a solid base for the attacking 3 of Ronaldo, Giggs and Rooney to play around the pivot of Smith.

Scholes id still an excellent player, but we have to start looking beyond him and we now have the players to do so.

Unread 06-07-2007, 04:56 PM
rubbernecker

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUFC One Love
I expect it to be something like this...

VDS

Neville
Rio
Vidic
Evra

Hargreaves
Carrick
Scholes

Ronaldo
Tevez
Rooney

Very good if you ask me, then of course we now have a strong bench to.

A United and Barca European Cup final?
To leave out giggs is insane.He provides balance and experience that no other player can at the moment

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Rhodzy

Scholes won't play in that front 4

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:03 PM
TreeFiddy

Quote:
Scholes id still an excellent player, but we have to start looking beyond him and we now have the players to do so.
Not yet we don't. He's still our best midfielder. The only negative thing I can say about Scholes from last season is that he looked tired towards the end. But that's not a problem since we'll have plenty of cover and opportunities to rest him this season. He's still got to be one of the first names on the team sheet when fit for an important game.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:10 PM
MUFC

Without wishing to bring doom to the thread, but I think Ronaldo could be 'due' an injury next season. He has had basically 5 seasons with no major injuries and has played a lot of football in that period. So the competition will be very grateful, IF it does happen (which I hope it doesn't).

Alos expect Scholes and Giggs to play against the top 4 teams and 'big' games next season due to their experience. If anything I think it will be Hargreaves/Carrick who would make way.

But what a great change it makes from 2 years ago when the back up was Smith, Fletcher, O'Shea, Giggs, Richardson for the midfield spots.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Part 36 Offer

http://www.utdforum.com/showthread.p...661#post420661

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:14 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Not yet we don't. He's still our best midfielder. The only negative thing I can say about Scholes from last season is that he looked tired towards the end. But that's not a problem since we'll have plenty of cover and opportunities to rest him this season. He's still got to be one of the first names on the team sheet when fit for an important game.
Play Scholes in midfield in the big games and it automatically means that both Carrick and Hargreaves will have to play in midfield to protect Scholes. That is a reality, neither Hargreaves or Carrick is a 25yo Keane who can do 2 mens defensive work and neither is Scholes the 24yo in his physical prime. That is what happened in the big away games last year, with Fletcher/O'Shea as the 3rd midfielder and we were much less of a threat in those games.

Play Tevez, Ronaldo and Rooney, looks great on paper but none of the 3 would be comfortable playing as the main striker, and whomever did would quite likely become isolated. They still need a Saha/Smith type to play around to get the best out of them IMO.

Scholes will stay play a lot of games, but this coming season it is time for Carrick to step up and take on a lot of playmaking responsibility that Scholes normally has.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:16 PM
khmk

[quote=MUFC;423772]Without wishing to bring doom to the thread, but I think Ronaldo could be 'due' an injury next season. He has had basically 5 seasons with no major injuries and has played a lot of football in that period. So the competition will be very grateful, IF it does happen (which I hope it doesn't).

Alos expect Scholes and Giggs to play against the top 4 teams and 'big' games next season due to their experience. If anything I think it will be Hargreaves/Carrick who would make way.

]But what a great change it makes from 2 years ago when the back up was Smith, Fletcher, O'Shea, Giggs, Richardson for the midfield spots.[/QUOTE

Amen

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:40 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Scholes will play 30 prem games next year. Fergie still sees him as our most reliable player, as he should.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Scholes will play 30 prem games next year. Fergie still sees him as our most reliable player, as he should.
Maybe, but against the best he is no longer as effective, the same goes for Giggs, both are still excellent players, but the weaknesses that increase with age are exposed at the highest level.

Can not see us winning the CL with Scholes or Giggs as integral parts to our team, age has caught up with them at that level.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:48 PM
MUFC One Love

I don't see anything wrong with that middle three, if anything Scholes and Carrick will influence games even more and it will allow Scholes to stay further up the field. The front three is frightening.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:52 PM
Fatboy Shrek

Quote:
Maybe, but against the best he is no longer as effective, the same goes for Giggs, both are still excellent players, but the weaknesses that increase with age are exposed at the highest level.

Can not see us winning the CL with Scholes or Giggs as integral parts to our team, age has caught up with them at that level.
I agree they'll be used less in the CL. But Scholes will play all the big home games in the league and most of them away i reckon. Nice little dilemnas to have though i suppose.

Unread 06-07-2007, 05:54 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
I agree they'll be used less in the CL. But Scholes will play all the big home games in the league and most of them away i reckon. Nice little dilemnas to have though i suppose.
That's the main and most encouraging part. Only they're big dilemmas, which makes it better. Let's be honest, Giggs isn't a £#%&!ing bad player to come off the bench of be used in a more bit part way, he got tired last season and was awful for the last few months, he can be used better now and get even more out of him.
Closed Thread