United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 14-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Pique really isn't that good tbh
I was never a huge fan of Pique, and a lot of his deficiencies were masked by the excellence of Puyol at both club and international level, but he has undoubtedly improved tenfold over the last couple of seasons.

He was exceptional last year, and was arguably the best centre-back in the world.

Unread 15-09-2015, 04:19 PM
Darmian_fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
I was never a huge fan of Pique, and a lot of his deficiencies were masked by the excellence of Puyol at both club and international level, but he has undoubtedly improved tenfold over the last couple of seasons.

He was exceptional last year, and was arguably the best centre-back in the world.
Every defender has his weakness, especially in this era of eagle-eyed conservative refereeing. In this era defenders can't raise a foot off the ground, let alone plant it on the attacker, which wasn't the case in the era of Maldini, Baresi or even Nesta and Cannavaro. This meant defenders cannot overcome their weaknesses through risky tackles which the defenders of previous era could.

@jem

What are you on? So you think signing Stones would be as difficult as signing Messi, Ronaldo and Müller? Is he already one of the best in the world or is Everton one of the biggest club in the world?

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:47 PM
Vedder

Classy as £#%&! again today. Would love to see him in midfield with Poggers

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:52 PM
S/Side.Red

No idea how anyone can not rate Blind tbh.

I say that as someone who was sceptical when he arrived. Saw his last game for Ajax at the Arena and he was all over the shop

Superb player.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:56 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darmian_fan
The underrating of Rojo is baffling. Honestly speaking, I can only see Real Madrid(Ramos), Barcelona(Pique) having the better defenders than what we have. I think if we sign John Stones next season, we will sort it as I expect Mcnair to be a really top class CB over the next decade.
well that went as hoped...

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:56 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Superb player.
Agreed, 100%. I'd still like us to pick up Fonte, but would love to see Blind and Bailly develop into a dominant pairing.

Unread 14-08-2016, 07:57 PM
Billy Redface

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red

I say that as someone who was sceptical when he arrived. Saw his last game for Ajax at the Arena and he was all over the shop

Superb player.

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:06 PM
Neo

Would love to see Blind as the long-term choice at centre-back, just for his distribution alone, but he is basically the opposite of a Mourinho type centre-back.

The lad needs to start rocking up to Carrington like Bart when he's auditioning for the Radioactive Man film.

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:09 PM
dunk

He looked ropey as £#%&! at CB at times last season, usually got away with being criticised as everyone laid in to the other players, but he did look good today. You'd have to think a Mourinho midfield will do a much better job of protecting him, and having the pace of Shaw and Bailly next to him will help no end. Still expect Smalling to be back in, but would prefer an experienced CB capable of defending, organising and heading the ball tbh..

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Billy Redface

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
Would love to see Blind as the long-term choice at centre-back, just for his distribution alone, but he is basically the opposite of a Mourinho type centre-back.

The lad needs to start rocking up to Carrington like Bart when he's auditioning for the Radioactive Man film.

Congratulations, Daley. You're our next centre half! ......that's what I'd be saying to you if you weren't an inch too short.

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:11 PM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

POS pre injury, getting instantly better each game since....if it wasn't for Dave he'd have it sewn up, looks like he's played here all his career, a solid player a football purist. He literally does everything right, his positional sense and ball play is very very good....

He can drop into any defensive role, good in the air, not afraid to have a shot...

He does makes himself look the grey man, but imagine next year when any little first season nerves have dropped. He's played at the top of his game for years now and he's a perfect fit for us....

People will compare him to carrick and let him go unnoticed as he isn't one to stand out.

Live and if you give him a watch HES a £#%&!ing great footballer....

A steal at the price and hope he stays and starts for years to come.

He's my poster boy of hope.

He's just a great footballer.....

Worried mourhino may drop him for amalling but he's a future captain for me.
Absolute class.

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:13 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He looked ropey as £#%&! at CB at times last season, usually got away with being criticised as everyone laid in to the other players, but he did look good today. You'd have to think a Mourinho midfield will do a much better job of protecting him, and having the pace of Shaw and Bailly next to him will help no end. Still expect Smalling to be back in, but would prefer an experienced CB capable of defending, organising and heading the ball tbh..
I would. When's he going to pick one?

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:15 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I would. When's he going to pick one?
You saw a part of it today pal. Big Felli a pillar of steel in the centre

Unread 14-08-2016, 08:32 PM
armchair

was absolute class today

Unread 14-08-2016, 09:10 PM
wiganste

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
was absolute class today
Yep. Liking him & Bailly as a pair.

Unread 14-08-2016, 09:12 PM
no fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiganste
Yep. Liking him & Bailly as a pair.
But what happens when Mike is available ?

Unread 14-08-2016, 09:15 PM
armchair

think smalling may struggle to break up those two. i rate the guy and if anyone can get the best out of him it's jose but he's looking more like an understudy to bailly than a first team starter

Unread 14-08-2016, 09:17 PM
wiganste

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
But what happens when Mike is available ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
think smalling may struggle to break up those two.
As armers says, hardies. Needs to work hard to get back in the team. A £#%&!ing great problem to have after the last 3 years

Unread 14-08-2016, 09:24 PM
Bunker Buster

Plenty of games, ACON, cups, injuries....

There's enough game time to go round, as ste says....it's a nice problem to have...

Blind can play across the back and midfield..

Options

Sessions

Titles

Unread 14-08-2016, 09:25 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Plenty of games, ACON, cups, injuries....

There's enough game time to go round, as ste says....it's a nice problem to have...

Blind can play across the back and midfield..

Options

Sessions

Titles
Yep Jose mentioned that in his presser

It's great to see competition.
Closed Thread