United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM
Mr_Ed

Default Scholes

Seemingly now in the secondary team for the lesser games, reckon he'll stay another year?

He won't start Sunday nor in the final unless injuries change things.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:28 AM
carlosartorial

Default Re: Scholes

Retiring imo.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
BarryX

I think he will go, and maybe should based on his penchant for getting red cards, but I really, really don't want him to.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:35 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

I love the man, best passer of the ball in the world but tackles like a blind hatchet man.
Won't play Sunday and really can't see him playing at Wembley.

Would love him to stay on one more year and hes perfect for certain games.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:37 AM
Baron

I think he'll retire, I was letting out Ray Wilkins-esque groans of pleasure as Scholes' fired cross field pass, after cross field pass to Big Tony's feet yesterday, but anyone in the midfield walks (doesn't need to run) straight past him, & his tackling is now no longer just hard, but actually petrifying - as his card tally this season attests to.

Like VDS, a PL - CL double would be a magnificent full stop on one of the all time great careers.

Christ I hope we get someone worthy to replace him, as no one else in that current midfield is from the same planet as Scholes.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Withers

Hope he retires.

Gary Neville is all the proof he needs to go this year.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:45 AM
united1878

think he'll be sub at wembley. coming on in extra time to get a 30yard winner.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:48 AM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by united1878
Yep. I hope he is on the bench, his ability to pass the ball under pressure could be crucial late on.

Unread 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by united1878

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:41 AM
Tumescent Throb

would be more surprised to see rooney start the final in the hole than i would to see scholes start the match

if he stays he'll get 20 starts next season.

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:45 AM
ScarFace

He needs to go.

He will be sub but shouldnt be.

PIG
Brazilian
Smalling
Berbatov
Nani
Giggs
Anderson

He'l swap Anderson for Scholes for old times sake.

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:50 AM
Tumescent Throb

scholes was booked last night for standing in the wall, the dirty bastard

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:52 AM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Seemingly now in the secondary team for the lesser games, reckon he'll stay another year?

He won't start Sunday nor in the final unless injuries change things.
there are plenty of big games he can start, he's an excellent option for fergie but needs to be looked after. i wouldn't say he's out of the team, more that he's one of maybe 18 players from which fergie selects his starting sides. the rest is up to form, fitness and tactics imo. he's as much a first-team player as anybody else.

Unread 05-05-2011, 11:55 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
there are plenty of big games he can start, he's an excellent option for fergie but needs to be looked after. i wouldn't say he's out of the team, more that he's one of maybe 16 players from which fergie selects his starting sides. the rest is up to form, fitness and tactics imo. he's as much a first-team player as anybody else.
The problem being that in order to play well from the start in games, he needs to have been playing consistently if possible, same as Owen. He needs 5-6 games to get up to speed and then needs to play regularly these days, it's whether he can do it or not.

I think he'll retire tbh, and it might not be a bad thing if it means we can bring new blood in/freshen that area of the pitch a bit as a result It will be a sad day when he does eventually call time though

Unread 05-05-2011, 12:02 PM
toseeunited

been thinking for a while he'll retire

probably the right thing to do but won't stop any of us from feeling

he played last night like it could be his last game at OT. it felt like that anyway, but as long as the lads do the business on sunday then a draw or better at blackburn then he'll get his last game against blackpool.

gonna miss him.

Unread 05-05-2011, 12:03 PM
borsuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
The problem being that in order to play well from the start in games, he needs to have been playing consistently if possible, same as Owen. He needs 5-6 games to get up to speed and then needs to play regularly these days, it's whether he can do it or not.

I think he'll retire tbh, and it might not be a bad thing if it means we can bring new blood in/freshen that area of the pitch a bit as a result It will be a sad day when he does eventually call time though
he was excellent last night after a couple of weeks off.

it takes him a while to recover from injuries is all.

Unread 05-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Mr_Ed

Depends on whether he wants to play the 20 odd games per season... I think not.

Unread 05-05-2011, 12:15 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
Depends on whether he wants to play the 20 odd games per season... I think not.
Whilst he is a professional and proud man, to boot, he is also a family man is our Scholesy. Maybe he'll say £#%&! it, and take the 70 odd grand a week to majestically kick a ball about (even in lesser games, or as a sub in the bigger ones). Theere are very few that can do what the man can, with the ball....he's still got 'it' this year, and will still have it next.

Unread 05-05-2011, 12:22 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
he was excellent last night after a couple of weeks off.

it takes him a while to recover from injuries is all.
In a game in which he didn't have to worry about being closed down, chased or even defended against, he was, yes. I doubt very much he would look so good against a team with more energy or idea what they were doing.

His passes out to the flanks were amazing, touch, turn, ping... straight to feet. He didn't even need to look. That bit of control with his throat was ace too .

I imagine that we could've stuck Zidane as he is now in the Scholes role last night and been able to marvel at him though such was Schalke's ability.

The other problem with him not retiring is that Fergie may be tempted to pick him in games in which he is plainly going to be overrun and ineffective, as has been done on a good few occasions in recent years, unfortunately.

Unread 05-05-2011, 12:49 PM
TheKitchenSink

With the right people around him on the pitch Scholes could definitely do another year. However, if we win the PL and/or CL he may opt to retire thinking "job done", and I don't think anybody could blame him for that. We'll miss him when he's gone though.
Closed Thread