United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Hall of Fame

Unread 28-03-2018, 09:18 PM
My Name is Keith

Said the same at the time - was our best player in 99. His best ever season for us. Always maintain the England stuff in 98 pushed him on to achieving everything he could with us. Getting a standing ovation every corner he took.

Thanks West Ham fans et al - you were the making of him and helped us win the treble

Unread 28-03-2018, 09:33 PM
sa7

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
Won’t watch I have the memories of being there
No you don’t.

Unread 28-03-2018, 10:24 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster

Won us the treble imo
Yep. A big £#%&! you to all those @#%&!s booing him after the World Cup.

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:12 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by flixton
Beckham was outstanding that season. So many goals from his crossings.

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:17 PM
S/Side.Red

Becks blatantly mugged out of the Ballon d'Or that season too. Rivaldo got it for being Brazilian iirc.

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:20 PM
dunk

We were so £#%&!ing good

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:36 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
We were so f***ing good
It was a great era for the competition. The PL was struggling badly to make an impact, Utd the only ones competitive but still had that mental barrier to get past, not helped by ties like Dortmund and Monaco which were fairly devastating.

Just a pity that Utd could never get the back 4 up to the level of the rest of the team at that point, it is what held them back from repeating. Schmeichel was poor by his standards in 98/99 but was not replaced until VDS, GNev was much better in the mid 00's than at the start, Johnsen and Berg were mediocre at that level, Irwin was winding down and Pip was a squad player.

Loved the fact that instead of sitting back and trying to protect a vulnerable back line they went in the entirely opposite direction and just looked to overwhelm teams offensively. 2008 might have been the better team but I could never love them as I did that 99 side, youth and domestic players in the main, tremendous camaraderie and the feeling they were on a journey to Fergie's Holy Grail. That midfield plus Cole and Yorke, don't get chemistry like that very often.

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:39 PM
£#%&! KFC

was at every one of those games can't believe it was almost 20 years ago

Juve away remains my favourite ever United European game ...... 2-0 down as well, incredible atmosphere that night, Fergie bloody hell

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:44 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
It was a great era for the competition. The PL was struggling badly to make an impact, Utd the only ones competitive but still had that mental barrier to get past, not helped by ties like Dortmund and Monaco which were fairly devastating.

Just a pity that Utd could never get the back 4 up to the level of the rest of the team at that point, it is what held them back from repeating. Schmeichel was poor by his standards in 98/99 but was not replaced until VDS, GNev was much better in the mid 00's than at the start, Johnsen and Berg were mediocre at that level, Irwin was winding down and Pip was a squad player.

Loved the fact that instead of sitting back and trying to protect a vulnerable back line they went in the entirely opposite direction and just looked to overwhelm teams offensively. 2008 might have been the better team but I could never love them as I did that 99 side, youth and domestic players in the main, tremendous camaraderie and the feeling they were on a journey to Fergie's Holy Grail. That midfield plus Cole and Yorke, don't get chemistry like that very often.
Only ever one intention. Lost count of the amount of times they just tore out of the traps at OT and battered the living daylights out of the opposition. Doubt any of us had ever even heard of pragmatism

Absolutely loved Ronnie Johnson in the main tbh. Was absolutely brilliant in CM against Juve amongst others during his time with us and was a great foil for Stam at CB. Another player we were cruelly robbed of the best of by injuries

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:52 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by f*** KFC

Juve away remains my favourite ever United European game ...... 2-0 down as well, incredible atmosphere that night, Fergie bloody hell
To do it against Juve, too. The side who had set the standard for most of the mid-late '90s. They were in a bit of turmoil at the time but they showed in the first leg that they were still a great side on their day. We stopped them getting to a 4th consecutive final.

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:58 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
To do it against Juve, too. The side who had set the standard for most of the mid-late '90s. They were in a bit of turmoil at the time but they showed in the first leg that they were still a great side on their day. We stopped them getting to a 4th consecutive final.
yep they really were an incredible side and it was an amazing achievement to beat them in Turin, for me it remains better than the final as much as the final was incredible we were very lucky on the night....that night in Turin was when we really believed that team could do the Treble

the first leg v Juve was painful we seemed to be certain to repeat the Monaco and Dortmund experiences from 97 and 98...but I still had a feeling we could get through even though the disappointment in the first leg was huge, thank god for Giggsy's goal at OT

at 2-0 down the fans and the players still believed but even at 3-2 up you still felt Juve would come back at us...scenes at the end

Unread 29-03-2018, 09:58 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Only ever one intention. Lost count of the amount of times they just tore out of the traps at OT and battered the living daylights out of the opposition. Doubt any of us had ever even heard of pragmatism

Absolutely loved Ronnie Johnson in the main tbh. Was absolutely brilliant in CM against Juve amongst others during his time with us and was a great foil for Stam at CB. Another player we were cruelly robbed of the best of by injuries
Berg was a hero in the Inter tie if I remember correctly as well. Ronnie Johnsen had an odd career trajectory, he was 27 at the time he signed and the highest level he had played at was one season in Turkey, before that relative obscurity.

Nature of the time I suppose, instead of most of the best players being concentrated in a few teams they were spread wide and you could still find excellent players who were not that well known.

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:02 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Berg was a hero in the Inter tie if I remember correctly as well. Ronnie Johnsen had an odd career trajectory, he was 27 at the time he signed and the highest level he had played at was one season in Turkey, before that relative obscurity.

Nature of the time I suppose, instead of most of the best players being concentrated in a few teams they were spread wide and you could still find excellent players who were not that well known.
Johnsen was great for us just a shame about the injuries

same goes for Blomqvist ..we should have signed him in 94 but in the Treble season he was sensational particularly in Europe in the group stage but he didn't have the same impact in Turin or the final....and just as well he was poor in the final as it turned out

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:07 PM
dunk

Blomqvist was £#%&!ing tremendous at dribbling, never ever got the credit he deserved. Looked impossible to get the ball off him at times, almost glued to his left peg. Fortunate as he had no right foot at all and could hardly be considered hardy. Great player though.

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:16 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

True but I agree with your earlier point about the defence. It was always highly unlikely we'd replicate that European Cup win until we became more solid as a whole. Only three sides in the whole tournament conceded more goals than us during the group phase

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:18 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Blomqvist was f***ing tremendous at dribbling, never ever got the credit he deserved. Looked impossible to get the ball off him at times, almost glued to his left peg. Fortunate as he had no right foot at all and could hardly be considered hardy. Great player though.
yep he was great at taking people on and his link play with Cole and Yorke was sublime, especially in the Nou Camp 3-3 game ...just a shame he was so lightweight and we only got that season out of him

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
True but I agree with your earlier point about the defence. It was always highly unlikely we'd replicate that European Cup win until we became more solid as a whole. Only three sides in the whole tournament conceded more goals than us during the group phase
yeah but we also scored 20 goals in the group stage we had Bayern and Barca in our group and were unbeaten after some incredible matches...still pissed off about Bayern's late equaliser in Munich

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:27 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by f*** KFC
yep he was great at taking people on and his link play with Cole and Yorke was sublime, especially in the Nou Camp 3-3 game ...just a shame he was so lightweight and we only got that season out of him

yeah but we also scored 20 goals in the group stage we had Bayern and Barca in our group and were unbeaten after some incredible matches...still pissed off about Bayern's late equaliser in Munich
Absolutely. I think United (and Barca during the group phase) were a breath of fresh air as Juve and Bayern were both quite efficient and grinding sides. It was mentioned earlier, but the way United just looked to set the tempo and play quickly lit up the tournament.

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:29 PM
Knockers

Quote:
Blomqvist was £#%&!ing tremendous at dribbling, never ever got the credit he deserved. Looked impossible to get the ball off him at times, almost glued to his left peg. Fortunate as he had no right foot at all and could hardly be considered hardy. Great player though.
Come on . Blommers was shite. Seemed a nice lad. Like watching your thickest son try to do a speech at school assembly.

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:32 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers
Come on . Blommers was shite. Seemed a nice lad. Like watching your thickest son try to do a speech at school assembly.
He really wasn’t.

Unread 29-03-2018, 10:35 PM
£#%&! KFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers