United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 21-09-2019, 11:25 AM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by TravellingRed
Industrial stuff is usually 3 phase over here, I'm a maintenance fitter so I deal with it now and again but usually get a sparky. As I understand it there are 3 lives, a neutral and earth.
Thats the one. I tried to educate myself on the subject via Wikipedia and youtube and as usual I followed the links on everything that interested me. I thought that I understood earth and neutral connections and that the neutral wire was harmless...until I came across this little gem...

Quote:
In a polyphase (usually three-phase) AC system, the neutral conductor is intended to have similar voltages to each of the other circuit conductors, but may carry very little current if the phases are balanced.
I decided that, although the topic was fascinating, I won't be doing any electrical DIY.

Unread 21-09-2019, 11:47 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexl
for Uncle Michael My Uncle Joe picked me up (I was 3) and told me to touch my dead great grandad who was lying in his open coffin in the front parlour. Obvs he went RAHH! as I touched him.

Quote:
Whenever the wife is changing a light bulb I never tire of shouting "bang" when she first touches it or switches it on. Never gets old.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Where I live was old farmland before they converted it to housing, so my house like many don't have a 220v supply. We have 380 volt, three phase directly into the house and then we have our own equipment to split the phases... using all three for the cooker. Sometimes, to install something new or whatever, you have to wire it with two live wires "across the phase" instead of a live and neutral. You open up some sockets or these two way/three way light switches on the landing and find 5 wires inside. Never really understood it or risked it myself and always called in a local leccie
Lucky you.

You can get all kinds of used machinery on the relative cheap. Well, you can over here.

I'm sure there's other advantages regarding installs of something or other. Oh yeah, high powered electric car chargers.

You've hit the jackpot.

Unread 21-09-2019, 11:57 AM
silv

Iíve had an electric shock before, stood on a live cable after our pet rabbit had chewed through it

Wasnít pleasant

Unread 21-09-2019, 12:13 PM
Switching Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
i've got a bit of tiling to do too but unlike the electrical stuff i don't fear i'll die.
Respeck

Drilling through tiles, cutting them exact etc is difficult.

Unread 21-09-2019, 04:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatty
Almost word for word from my favourite feel good film and #3 on my all-time list.

The Day After.
The f***ing nuclear war film??

Unread 21-09-2019, 05:06 PM
My Name is Heath

I had my 3 phases measured this week

110, 140, 215

No wonder I was getting non stop power cuts ffs.

Looks like Iím going to have to bung the local leccy chief to get it sorted too :-(

Unread 21-09-2019, 06:09 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Dad was a Sparky
no one even wants to take this. not even someone sliding it at the back post. fair enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Iíve had an electric shock before, stood on a live cable after our pet rabbit had chewed through it

Wasnít pleasant
I had one when fixing a washing machine when some c**** switched the mains back on and I hadn't realised. it's like being kicked by a horse. it's almost nice not to die, though. you can't really feel too bad about the pain. worse than giving birth I'd imagine.

* me

Unread 21-09-2019, 06:25 PM
Sapien

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
no one even wants to take this. not even someone sliding it at the back post. fair enough.
Thought about it ('so he's not a Jaffa after all' etc) but decided it was a bit tight.

Unread 21-09-2019, 07:53 PM
TravellingRed

Quote:
Thats the one. I tried to educate myself on the subject via Wikipedia and youtube and as usual I followed the links on everything that interested me. I thought that I understood earth and neutral connections and that the neutral wire was harmless...until I came across this little gem...

I decided that, although the topic was fascinating, I won't be doing any electrical DIY.
Neutral is dangerous as it can show 0v on a multi meter even though it's live. We have meters at work that just alarm if it's live so knuckle heads like me don't kill ourselves on live equipment.

Unread 23-09-2019, 10:38 AM
red red robbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Don't get leaks in the same way though..
Actually, you can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
Dad was a Sparky for some time and I worked with him for a while. Electricity doesn't scare me, the careless thick c***s who wire it in do though. You'll get quite a few literal shocks because people label the 'cooker' as 'shower' and vice versa. They even managed to f*** up the wiring in our new(ish) build
Never pay any attention to the labels, unless you did them yourself. And even then, check, check and check again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dueling Banjos
Was a spark for 30 years in the UK/IOM and am now doing it in the US. If you're scared about leccy over there you want to see the abortions they consider normal over here. Holding wires together with the equivalent of toothpaste caps is de rigueur everywhere. I've seriously had to lower my standards of what I consider a good job, you can get away with so much bodge it and scarper it's unreal. It's been a real eye opener but the pay is pretty good so hey-ho.
They can get away with more because they only use 110V. Much less likely to kill you.

Quote:
Where I live was old farmland before they converted it to housing, so my house like many don't have a 220v supply. We have 380 volt, three phase directly into the house and then we have our own equipment to split the phases... using all three for the cooker. Sometimes, to install something new or whatever, you have to wire it with two live wires "across the phase" instead of a live and neutral. You open up some sockets or these two way/three way light switches on the landing and find 5 wires inside. Never really understood it or risked it myself and always called in a local leccie
I'm surprised you're allowed 3-phase into a residential property, you can properly kill yourself with that shit

Quote:
Neutral is dangerous as it can show 0v on a multi meter even though it's live. We have meters at work that just alarm if it's live so knuckle heads like me don't kill ourselves on live equipment.
Especially on a centre tapped system like we used to have in our electronics lab where I used to work. Pulled the fuse out of the bit of kit i was working on then touched an exposed neutral connection and got a belt. Not happy at all

Never let software engineers near anything dangerous