United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:43 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
He is not our biggest problem by any stretch, but would you say we are any better defensively this season?

I wouldn't.

He isnt miles better. He's marginally better, at best.
word. most defences would struggle with that abomination of a midfield infront of them though and an two kids as full backs.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
word. most defences would struggle with that abomination of a midfield infront of them though and an two kids as full backs.
Indeed.

Each part of the team seems to handicap the rest.

Midfield is shite because the strikers are lazy and dont move. The strikers don't move because the midfield can't find them. Defence needs protecting from the midfield.

In short, bleuuervhfhfhdlflvmpffffft!

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:47 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
He is not our biggest problem by any stretch, but would you say we are any better defensively this season?

I wouldn't.

He isn't a top class defender. Which is what we paid for.

Comparable in fee with De Ligt and VVD and not a patch on either.
I think we are better. Its a settled back 4 - the big difference is the full backs getting forward and leaving gaps and no defensive shield.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:52 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhegemony
Maguire is the least of our worries and miles better than Smalling.
Yes and no.

But only because all of our worries should be midfield and attack based, as they should’ve been last summer

Maguire is shite.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:52 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I think we are better. Its a settled back 4 - the big difference is the full backs getting forward and leaving gaps and no defensive shield.
If by 'settled' you mean its the same set of defenders conceding lots of goals each week, then I agree.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Indeed.

Each part of the team seems to handicap the rest.

Midfield is shite because the strikers are lazy and dont move. The strikers don't move because the midfield can't find them. Defence needs protecting from the midfield.

In short, bleuuervhfhfhdlflvmpffffft!
The noise Jones makes when he gurns.

Unread 02-12-2019, 09:54 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Yes and no.

But only because all of our worries should be midfield and attack based, as they should’ve been last summer

Maguire is shite.
I don't think he's shite but he's certainly not an 80m quid defender. He could turn out to be great. People forget Ferdinand struggled for a couple of years to become the world class defender he became. There's still hope for maguire yet.

18 year old kid at left back who's played half a dozen games, a 21 year old kid at right back with one full season under his belt... no midfield infront of them...

is it any wonder we struggle.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:00 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
I don't think he's shite but he's certainly not an 80m quid defender. He could turn out to be great. People forget Ferdinand struggled for a couple of years to become the world class defender he became. There's still hope for maguire yet.

18 year old kid at left back who's played half a dozen games, a 21 year old kid at right back with one full season under his belt... no midfield infront of them...

He's not coming into the best side, no doubt about that.

He looked utterly pissed off at Sheffield United last week.

Remember,

"Just put it in the £#%&!ing box!"

?

I think he's ok and I'd like to see him next to Tuanzebe more regularly, but I see the same overrated player I've seen for Hull, Leicester England.

I was hoping seeing him week in week out that I would see something I hadn't seen before.

Still waiting.

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:02 PM
dunk

Ferdinand could actually move and turn. Maguire not so much. He’s a lump.

Can’t get my head around this idea he’s good on the ball either looks run of the mill to me.

Agreed on the young full backs, I’ll take the pain with young players (not Young players), not so much on the £80m average 26 year olds..

Unread 02-12-2019, 10:06 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Ferdinand could actually move and turn. Maguire not so much. He’s a lump.

Can’t get my head around this idea he’s good on the ball either looks run of the mill to me.

Agreed on the young full backs, I’ll take the pain with young players (not Young players), not so much on the £80m average 26 year olds..
I think he's comfortable on the ball in the sense that he is control is good, he's happy to receive the ball under the pressure. He's composed, but rarely brings the ball far and I'm yet to see a pass that would be impressive for a CB.

I think we're just used to our usual standard of passing from the back.

No threat so far from set pieces.

Van Dijk seems to score every other £#%&!ing week.

Unread 02-12-2019, 11:25 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He's a vegan too. Probably the best country in the world to be a vegan.
Well, best footballing country (I would say India is maybe even better)

Unread 03-12-2019, 03:46 AM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Well, best footballing country (I would say India is maybe even better)

Unread 03-12-2019, 03:40 PM
David Crank

Quote:
Maguire is the least of our worries and miles better than Smalling.
Wrong. If we're basing it purely on defensive ability, he's worse.

Quote:
Wrong. See above.

Quote:
People forget Ferdinand struggled for a couple of years to become the world class defender he became
Comparing Maguire to Rio. Need I say more? Also Maguire is 26.

Quote:

How many world-class players do we need to add before our "world-class", sorry "world record fee" players are good enough to perform? Isn't the point in spending 80m on a single player that he raises the standards of those around him (like VVD?). 160m on Pogba and Maguire but not their fault because everyone else is shit... Ok.

Unread 03-12-2019, 03:47 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
are you serious? Maguire can pass with both feet and doesn't grapple like Hulk Hogan.

egg pasta and pizza?
Smalling is a better header of the ball and stronger too.

Quote:

Rio won the league with United in his first season.

Unread 03-12-2019, 05:54 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It might be mildly of interest to vegans tbf?

Unread 03-12-2019, 06:00 PM
AK14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiteside onside
Rio won the league with United in his first season.
So did Smalling.

Unread 03-12-2019, 06:18 PM
Whiteside onside

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
So did Smalling.

Unread 30-12-2019, 03:12 PM
waynes ear's

Unread 31-12-2019, 12:29 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Sounds like he's having the time of his life.

They are offering 12 mil so clearly appreciate his talents.

Unread 31-12-2019, 12:59 AM
Whalefish

Thumbs up

Good for Mike
Closed Thread