United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive
Closed Thread

Unread 15-01-2020, 03:26 PM
Switching Off

Football Manchester United v Wolves|FA Cup 3rd Round Replay|15 January 2020|19.45|BT Sport: OFFICIAL

[SIZE="7"]TEAM NEWS

United are without Pogba, The Scottish Player and Marcos Rojo. Eric Bailly played a behind closed doors friendly yesterday but is not expected to feature tonight. Jesse Lingard may return from illness while Luke Shaw is nursing a tight hamstring.

Wolves are missing Willy Boly and Diogo Jota, while Patrick Cutrone has £#%&!ed off to Fiorentina. FA Cup keeper John Ruddy is expected to start again.

[SIZE="7"]
MAN IN THE MIDDLE

Kevin Friend. The Leicester-based official will take charge of his third United game of the season, having refereed the Premier League 1-1 draw with Arsenal in September and the 4-1 win against Newcastle in December. Friend will be assisted by Neil Davies and Simon Bennett, with Daniel Robathan in charge of VAR.

[SIZE="7"]
PREDICTED LINEUP

Romero

Wan Bissaka - Lindelof - Maguire - Williams

Fred - Matic

James - Mata - Rashford

Martial

[SIZE="7"]BONUS FUN!

Can you name these two players from tonight's teams? (Answer below)

[SIZE="2"]
Spoiler:
click to showhide
Romain Saiss and Ashley Young
click to showhide

Unread 15-01-2020, 03:28 PM
waynes ear's

Steve Bull and Paul Scholes

Unread 15-01-2020, 03:30 PM
no fun

Derek dougan and Rudd van nistelroy

Unread 15-01-2020, 03:30 PM
andyroo

The one on the right is clearly Harry Maguire

Unread 15-01-2020, 03:35 PM
DuanePipe

Remember that time Mick McCarthy sent a weakened team to Old Trafford in the league (Utd 3-0 Wolves). We got fined £25k by the Premier League for that, even though Mick knew full well the more winnable game was against Burnley on the Sat (Wolves won that one and stayed up). I'm still seething about that fine to this day. Imagine, the Premier League deciding which of your registered, professionally contracted football players you're allowed to pick.

Saiss.

Unread 15-01-2020, 03:47 PM
My Name is Heath

George Berry and one of the Andy Gorams?

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:08 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
Remember that time Mick McCarthy sent a weakened team to Old Trafford in the league (Utd 3-0 Wolves). We got fined £25k by the Premier League for that, even though Mick knew full well the more winnable game was against Burnley on the Sat (Wolves won that one and stayed up). I'm still seething about that fine to this day. Imagine, the Premier League deciding which of your registered, professionally contracted football players you're allowed to pick.

Saiss.
It’s absolute nonsense, surely any player they put out is registered to play in the £#%&!ing thing

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:22 PM
Zorg

Quote:

Saiss.
It's because who you were playing against. Literally anybody else and they wouldn't have even noticed, let alone cared.

It's amazing they have the power to do that

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:24 PM
est.1878

Fergie years (caveat York City) -

Before kick off: utd disrespecting the competition by fielding under strength team!!! National collective seeth

At full time, after easy utd victory:

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by est.1878
Fergie years (caveat York City) -

Before kick off: utd disrespecting the competition by fielding under strength team!!! National collective seeth

At full time, after easy utd victory:
York City beat us 3-0 at home and knocked us out after 2 legs...

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:31 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
York City beat us 3-0 at home and knocked us out after 2 legs...

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:37 PM
DuanePipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
It's because who you were playing against. Literally anybody else and they wouldn't have even noticed, let alone cared.

It's amazing they have the power to do that
Mick spoke about it on a recent podcast. Wolves owner Steve Morgan told Mick he considered sacking him (for real) for doing it. Had we not beat Burnley, he would have been sacked. Far as I see it, good squad management because it worked.

Mick also talked about how much he loved talking to Ferie about football but hated that we would get our bellies rubbed by Utd then Sir Alex would be super nice and gracious over a wine afterwards, explaining how well we'd played, how we were very unlucky to have lost etc. Then we won. Big George Elokobi scored if I remember. Mick said Fergie basically kicked his office door in with a real seethe on: "you lucky £#%&!ing bastards".

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:52 PM
waynes ear's

Quote:
without googling, wasnt that the league cup? Has Windy brainfarted?

Unread 15-01-2020, 04:58 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
It was, and it's a brainfart anyway even if it wasn't. Esters said York was the exception

Unread 15-01-2020, 05:06 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by waynes ear's
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
It was, and it's a brainfart anyway even if it wasn't. Esters said York was the exception
He actually said:

Fergie years (caveat York City.

Ok I see what he meant now.

Unread 15-01-2020, 05:29 PM
NegativeNorris

I watched the highlights to the York Coca Cola Cup game recently. They had a perfectly good goal disallowed too, which would've made it 4-0. I went to the second leg at Bootham Crescent, as it's only round the corner from where I lived, Nd it's still one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at any ground.

2-1 Wolves.

Unread 15-01-2020, 05:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeNorris
I watched the highlights to the York Coca Cola Cup game recently. They had a perfectly good goal disallowed too, which would've made it 4-0. I went to the second leg at Bootham Crescent, as it's only round the corner from where I lived, Nd it's still one of the best atmospheres I've ever experienced at any ground.

2-1 Wolves.
Scholes scored twice if i rememeber then followed it up with a goal at Portman Road the following week on his league debut. I was also at Portman Road that day. Top red.

Unread 15-01-2020, 05:49 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by NegativeNorris

2-1 Wolves.
I went to that too, remember that guy in the United end facing the wrong way shouting 'come on you lads' and 'city are bums'.
Then we saw him again at Roker Park in the cup a couple of months later, doing the same thing.

Unread 15-01-2020, 05:55 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:

Saiss.
Made a change from United being slagged for it tbh.

Unread 15-01-2020, 06:10 PM
NegativeNorris

Quote:
I went to that too, remember that guy in the United end facing the wrong way shouting 'come on you lads' and 'city are bums'.
Then we saw him again at Roker Park in the cup a couple of months later, doing the same thing.
I was at that game at Roker Park too. Scholes and Cole scored I think.

I could hardly see anything on that terrace at York. I was only about 8. It was absolutely packed though, I loved it.
I wish I could've experienced the terraces in the 80's.
Closed Thread