United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 19-02-2019, 10:54 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownbones
He was excellent against Mitrovic too. Two big handfuls he's dealt with in the last couple of weeks. All after a longish lay off.

He gets far too much stick on here. Easily our most consistent defender and seems to complement the ever improving Lindelof quite nicely.
looked a pairing last night. I don't think smalling had too much thinking to do, which probably helped. (oh... and shaw making a couple of goal-stopping tackles probably helped.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
He's always been a physical defender. Been cited by a few strikers as a nightmare to play against.

Been a victim of the constant defensive confusion of the last few years.
this. always been physically our best defender, especially in the air.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Duckworth
ole just putting his arm around people again

the guy is a brilliant tactician.
I think smalling might be a brilliant tactician, too. always putting his arms round people. shirt grabbing to the point of ripping louise's shirt and then lucky rudiger was backing in and leaping like a salmon when he had him in a wrestling hold.

I thought var might stop him doing this, but he's riding his luck. if we lose to a cheap penalty against liverpool, I will wonder why he hasn't been instructed to play smarter.

Unread 19-02-2019, 10:56 AM
wiganste

Decent night that. Haven’t seen united fans take the piss outside of Stamford bridge like that before.

Glad I’ve booked today off work

Unread 19-02-2019, 10:56 AM
windy waffles

Seems to have improved ever since he decided to start wearing braids.

No coincidence.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:02 AM
My Name is Heath

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles
Seems to have improved ever since he decided to start wearing braids.

No coincidence.
This.

Genuinely think watching Black Panther has brought him back up to speed.

His Killmonger haircut and swagger is a huge plus for us. Genuinely expect him to score v Liverpool then pull out his bottom lip to reveal he is Wakandan.

Probably my favourite United player IRL too.

Vegan. Dog lover. Centre Back.

He's a star and I reckon he and Lindelof can gel like the crew looking after hair on 'Grease'. Imagine that. Our CB situation is all of a sudden not too bad...Bailly and Jones as back up.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:13 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
I'd never in a million years have imagined him giving Higuain a hard time. Hardly gave him any breathing space. Really put his weight into challenges too. Still a shit @#%&! but there's a modicum of fight in him which is good to see.
Why?

He has had better players than a fat, past prime, Higuaín in his pocket down the years. Smalling, flaws and all is and has been one of the best pure defenders in the league for years.

Amazing that our defenders are back to looking like a capable group when they are not being called shit every week by their manager, and there is evidence of some coaching and organization.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:16 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Why?

He has had better players than a fat, past prime, Higuaín in his pocket down the years. Smalling, flaws and all is and has been one of the best pure defenders in the league for years.

Amazing that our defenders are back to looking like a capable group when they are not being called shit every week by their manager, and there is evidence of some coaching and organization.

Every single one of them has put in an impressive performance since Ole returned

Well, except Rojo, obviously, and the apparently decrepit Valencia..

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:22 AM
Tiberian

Quote:

Every single one of them has put in an impressive performance since Ole returned

The response last night was the impressive part. Poor performances under Mou tended to lead to another. They were awful against PSG, looked to freeze on the big stage, but came right back with one of the better team performances in some time, everyone putting a shift in, organized, determined.

Valencia looked physically gone Gary Neville style last time he played.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:25 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
The response last night was the impressive part. Poor performances under Mou tended to lead to another. They were awful against PSG, looked to freeze on the big stage, but came right back with one of the better team performances in some time, everyone putting a shift in, organized, determined.

Valencia looked physically gone Gary Neville style last time he played.
Honestly thought first half against PSG was OK Would've been interesting to see them go in at HT without losing 2 players to see what would've occurred second half. The lack of experience at that level is always going to lead to them being tense early doors.

Was a hell of a response though nqat

Against Newcastle? Looked like he'd forgotten how to move another one that looks to have spent far too much time in the gym and has compromised his mobility.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:41 AM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Honestly thought first half against PSG was OK Would've been interesting to see them go in at HT without losing 2 players to see what would've occurred second half. The lack of experience at that level is always going to lead to them being tense early doors.

Was a hell of a response though nqat

Against Newcastle? Looked like he'd forgotten how to move another one that looks to have spent far too much time in the gym and has compromised his mobility.
With you on this dunk, especially the loss of Ant&Jess and it was psg ffs, not brighton.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:44 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
With you on this dunk, especially the loss of Ant&Jess and it was psg ffs, not brighton.
Even 2nd half, we had a ropey 10 minutes in which they bagged twice and could've had another couple, then we re-grouped and just lacked cutting edge as much as anything. Tail remained up and they never stopped working. Just lacked quality and pace in the final third and CM.

It wasn't great, but nowhere near as bad as painted, for me..

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:46 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Even 2nd half, we had a ropey 10 minutes in which they bagged twice and could've had another couple, then we re-grouped and just lacked cutting edge as much as anything. Tail remained up and they never stopped working. Just lacked quality and pace in the final third and CM.

It came down to fine margins and PSG punished us badly in their good spell.

It was testament to them. They improved massively second half. There wasn't much in it second half.

Play that game from fresh and I'd fancy us to do much better.

Just one of those nights.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:48 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:

Agree about the first half. It didn’t go as well as hoped but it wasn’t a disaster. The response to the PSG upturn in performance was disappointing though. For us to lose 2-0 at home without creating much at all second half is always a bad night.

Unread 19-02-2019, 11:48 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
If I’d not watched United for the past 10 years until last night, I’d be saying looks like we’ve found a real defender in smalling. He was impressive.

That hugging on corners though. Any chance you can be a little more subtle Chris?
Was convinced he'd give a pen away through VAR, it's something he'll have to watch if it comes into every game. Clear tactic of theirs was basically falling to the ground at the hint of a touch when a corner was coming in, knowing VAR was in play. Rudiger did it about 5 times the @#%&!.

Unread 19-02-2019, 12:04 PM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Was convinced he'd give a pen away through VAR, it's something he'll have to watch if it comes into every game. Clear tactic of theirs was basically falling to the ground at the hint of a touch when a corner was coming in, knowing VAR was in play. Rudiger did it about 5 times the @#%&!.
Pedro blatantly dived twice right in front of the ref who waved play on but didn't book him. Then he proceeded to give a free kick every time Hazard fell over regardless of whether or not he was fouled.

They still didn't lay on glove on us.

Unread 19-02-2019, 01:12 PM
jem

Quote:

just wait.

Unread 19-02-2019, 01:22 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
If rudiger hadn't have been such a drama queen throwing himself into Smalling, I think a pen would have been given. I don't know the specifics of the rules, but would imagine bear hugging the opposition is not allowed.

Unread 19-02-2019, 04:04 PM
Sparky***

Hazard must be desperate to leave. He disappeared 2nd half and had such a limited impact on the game.

I'd have him here tomorrow tbh, but I seriously doubt they'd sell him to us.

Unread 19-02-2019, 04:29 PM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
If rudiger hadn't have been such a drama queen throwing himself into Smalling, I think a pen would have been given. I don't know the specifics of the rules, but would imagine bear hugging the opposition is not allowed.
Yeah think you're right. Was obvious he was looking to go down and £#%&!ed himself over. Smalling does it all the time though, ripped Luiz's shirt in the first half he had hold of him that tight

Unread 19-02-2019, 04:31 PM
Lazlo Panaflex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Hazard must be desperate to leave. He disappeared 2nd half and had such a limited impact on the game.

I'd have him here tomorrow tbh, but I seriously doubt they'd sell him to us.
delighted if he gets stuck there. £#%&!er had a choice between them, United and city and chose the worst option.

madrid want him anyway.

Unread 19-02-2019, 06:08 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazlo Panaflex
delighted if he gets stuck there. £#%&!er had a choice between them, United and city and chose the worst option.

madrid want him anyway.
didn't know city were after him