out 17 17.35%
in 81 82.65%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Unread 22-09-2021, 10:38 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanMUFC
Pretty sure Saffers wants United to do well more than most on here tbf.

When people start pretending trophies don’t matter, I think it’s right to question whether they want there team to do well.

Cringey as £#%&! that people are going on about the league table after about 5 games. It’s almost like an accomplishment that we’re not points behind yet.
Do you not thing it’s a good thing that we’re having our best start to a season for about 4/5 years? What’s cringey about mentioning that?

I don’t think someone who wants United to do well would find it cringey tbh.

Unread 22-09-2021, 10:44 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Squad rotation doesn’t have to involve a different 11. He could have played Greenwood tonight. Could he have started Bruno tonight and squeezed VDB into the starting 11 against Villa on Saturday?

It felt like he used tonight like one of those behind closed doors matches to get players playing time rather than focusing on getting through to the next round.

He’s been here for 3 seasons now. He should hold some responsibility for managing the squad.
If cavani was fit we would have won. We didn’t need 3/4 first teamers. It’s the league cup. Players like lingard and Sancho have let him down. There were times lingard should have passed but he shot.

Sancho is still finding his feet, and martial is just dog shite. Think it will be a blessing that we play a little less. Longer break in October and the Xmas run in now

Unread 22-09-2021, 10:52 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
If cavani was fit we would have won. We didn’t need 3/4 first teamers. It’s the league cup. Players like lingard and Sancho have let him down. There were times lingard should have passed but he shot.

Sancho is still finding his feet, and martial is just dog shite. Think it will be a blessing that we play a little less. Longer break in October and the Christmas run in now
He’s a football manager. You can’t get by on the excuse that your players let you down, pal.

We’d still have Moyes in charge if people bought those kind of excuses..

Unread 22-09-2021, 10:58 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Squad rotation doesn’t have to involve a different 11. He could have played Greenwood tonight. Could he have started Bruno tonight and squeezed VDB into the starting 11 against Villa on Saturday?

It felt like he used tonight like one of those behind closed doors matches to get players playing time rather than focusing on getting through to the next round.

He’s been here for 3 seasons now. He should hold some responsibility for managing the squad.

We’re joint top after 5 games. Joint with Liverpool and Chelsea who have played each other.

People have took the piss out of scousers for getting carried away with this plenty of times over the years..
Who’s getting carried away with it?

It’s just a fact, this is the best we’ve started for a fair few years. That’s a good sign, surely? Why is pointing that out cringey?

Unread 22-09-2021, 11:03 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Who’s getting carried away with it?

It’s just a fact, this is the best we’ve started for a fair few years. That’s a good sign, surely? Why is pointing that out cringey?
It’s factual but it doesn’t really have much relevance when there’s 33 more league games to play. Cringey in the sense that it suggests that people are getting excited over it.

Each to their own anyway..

Unread 22-09-2021, 11:05 PM
atticusgrinch

It was worth going out tonight to see sparky switch back to doom mode. I was worried for his sanity.

Unread 22-09-2021, 11:06 PM
Hyman_Roth

Quote:
It’s factual but it doesn’t really have much relevance when there’s 33 more league games to play. Cringey in the sense that it suggests that people are getting excited over it.

Each to their own anyway..
Well let’s see how those league matches play out? Too early to call it one way or the other. But certainly too early to suggest it’s £#%&!ed.

Unread 22-09-2021, 11:15 PM
ryanMUFC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyman_Roth
Well let’s see how those league matches play out? Too early to call it one way or the other. But certainly too early to suggest it’s £#%&!ed.
I think anyone that would suggest that our chances of the league are £#%&!ed.. are probably a bit £#%&!ed. The point I’m making is that we have Ronaldo for 1-2 seasons (realistically) and it’s probably our best chance of winning the league in years.

You’d hope that the club are responsible on who they let manage the club during these seasons especially if their are signs of our chances of trophies slipping away. Solskjaer isn’t a new manager, he’s been given money to spend and time to prove himself as a manager.

In my opinion.. it shouldn’t be a non negotiable that he stays until the end of the season. I think it would be embarrassing seeing Ronaldo doing a lap of honour with Ole on the last game of the season after winning nothing as much as it was losing to Young Boys. Almost over tonight’s result anyway, thanks lads.

Unread 23-09-2021, 12:39 AM
Weekend Hussler

Edited for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
That you cry like a child every time we win? No need to point that out we already know that

Unread 23-09-2021, 05:05 AM
saffers

Unread 23-09-2021, 05:18 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
People like Castles just ruin the discussion tbh by trying to polarise the argument.

Unread 23-09-2021, 05:28 AM
believe

I find it difficult to believe that the likes of Tuchel, Klopp and Pep disregarding the league cup as too little a trophy to win, even Ferguson prioritized it during leaner periods.

We need to win a trophy it’s as simple as that and remarkably, the more you go out of the less likely it is you’ll win one.

Unread 23-09-2021, 06:13 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
I find it difficult to believe that the likes of Tuchel, Klopp and Pep disregarding the league cup as too little a trophy to win, even Ferguson prioritized it during leaner periods.

We need to win a trophy it’s as simple as that and remarkably, the more you go out of the less likely it is you’ll win one.
Spot on.

Unread 23-09-2021, 06:48 AM
Dr Stranger

25 ‘failed attempts to win a trophy’

Unread 23-09-2021, 06:52 AM
Patty_b

Quote:

It's a waste of time and it's not worth the players energy. The next round of fixtures in the League Cup are slap bang between Liverpool at home and Spurs away, and it would've been against City.

5 big games in a week to compete in a competition that no-one really cares about, and won so early on in the season that come the end of the season it's already forgotten about.

Id rather get knocked out in the first round and not have to think about it again for the rest of the season.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:04 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
It's a waste of time and it's not worth the players energy. The next round of fixtures in the League Cup are slap bang between Liverpool at home and Spurs away, and it would've been against City.

5 big games in a week to compete in a competition that no-one really cares about, and won so early on in the season that come the end of the season it's already forgotten about.

Id rather get knocked out in the first round and not have to think about it again for the rest of the season.
Most of the players who played last night wouldn’t be playing in either of those league games. Last night was a perfect opportunity to look at the overall strength of the squad and it showed that we’re lacking and to be so arrogant and think we could win the league with basically a first eleven having to carry us for a full season is baffling. Especially considering we’ve not been close for nearly ten years.

Winning or not winning the league cup isn’t my frustration, it’s the pure fact that we constantly kill any momentum of the previous game. Can you imagine what could happen to this team if one or two players (Bruno and Ronaldo in particular) were out of the team for a period of time?

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:23 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Most of the players who played last night wouldn’t be playing in either of those league games.
But that's not the point, the 11 that started last night probably wouldn't be the team that played the next round, and if they did then we'd pretty much be throwing it anyway.

Quote:
Last night was a perfect opportunity to look at the overall strength of the squad and it showed that we’re lacking and to be so arrogant and think we could win the league with basically a first eleven having to carry us for a full season is baffling. Especially considering we’ve not been close for nearly ten years.
You're taking that to an extreme. We changed the whole starting 11 last night. We don't have enough depth in the squad to be able to do that every other game in the league, but we have enough to be able to make a couple of changes in games when it's required. And it should be required a lot less now we don't have to worry about the league cup.

And the general consensus is that we should be competing to win the league this year, not sure why that's considered arrogant now

Quote:
Winning or not winning the league cup isn’t my frustration, it’s the pure fact that we constantly kill any momentum of the previous game. Can you imagine what could happen to this team if one or two players (Bruno and Ronaldo in particular) were out of the team for a period of time?
We'd struggle, but that's the depth of the team. And it's a lot better for Bruno and Ronaldo if they don't have to be utilised in irrelevant Cup competitions.

You're sort of proving my point, you're complaining that our squad hasn't got enough quality past the first 11 and we'd struggle if we had to leave out Bruno or Ronaldo, but then complain that we aren't playing even more fixtures in a useless competition.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:26 AM
shenwen

I don't think anyone is disregarding the competition - we put out a decent team on paper and got beat. It's not like we threw in our U23s.

But also not right to say it's a waste of time. If that was true, why try so hard the previous seasons? A decent run would be good for fringe players. And a trophy of any kind is always better than nothing.

But we tried, we got beat and we are out. Time to move on.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:27 AM
75Red

Quote:

Exactly.

Unread 23-09-2021, 07:32 AM
MUFC One Love

If we only won the League Cup this season Ole would still get criticised but he needs a trophy and should have had 1-2 more in the squad last night.
Closed Thread