United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 16-10-2021, 11:16 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Not buying that.

Conte or Zidane would get a tune out of this squad nqat and although it’ll be short term (2-3 seasons), in that time I fancy either of them to get us a league title.

Where as with Van Gaal and Mourinho we expected them to rebuild the squad, that won’t be the case for the next man because of the job Ole has done. One or two tweaks maybe but the last thing we need to do is rip up the entire squad we’ve assembled and start again.

Im confident either of them wins the league here in the next few seasons with a this squad and a couple of midfielders and by which time they leave there’ll be more options available.

We can’t just stick with what’s going on because we don’t fancy the managers available. Just don’t allow them to come in and want to rip the lot up, have a plan etc.

We need to capitalise on having one of the strongest squads in the league while we can, because before we know it we’ll have to start thinking about replacing Maguire, Ronaldo, De Gea, Pogba, Bruno etc and around we go again.
Zidane would do £#%&! all.

Conte would be trying to buy shite like Sanchez, Young etc. and set us way back.

Inter @#%&!ted at Lazio tonight.

Unread 16-10-2021, 11:26 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Zidane would do £#%&! all.

Conte would be trying to buy shite like Sanchez, Young etc. and set us way back.

Inter @#%&!ted at Lazio tonight.
Maybe they should get Conte back

Unread 16-10-2021, 11:28 PM
MUFC One Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
You can look at what someone has done, but you’ve got to be aware of the direction the team appears to be going.

We had a horrendous start to last season, pulled it round mid season, but ended poorly. Not just right at the end either. We lost that FA Cup tie, we hobbled through the league campaign and put all our eggs in the Europa final and produced an insipid gutless display.

Does he deserve to be sacked for that? No.
Ultimately, the league position was better, the points total better and we reached a final where we hadn’t before.

You couldn’t objectively say that the season was better than the previous,

But that trajectory has to continue, because it wasn’t the pinnacle of where we want to be. The next step is a title push and to win a trophy.

To do that, we needed to address obvious deficiencies:

The midfield
Consistency of performances
Game management
Set pieces
Individual errors
Playing well throughout games and not just in spells

These all reared their head several times last season.

Not a single one has improved and most have become worse.

The league campaign already looks a mess. We’ve won half our games despite favourable fixtures and 3 of those were in the first 4 games. We’re out of the LC and already lost in the champions league.

We’re conceding more than ever and we’re barely creating chances. We’ve mustered a handful of chances today, against Villa, Everton and Villarreal.

The performances look less coherent by the week,

Quite simply, we’re getting worse.

When a manager has been in a job for a while and the team starts to look worse over 3-6 month periods, that is a big concern.

And this is after adding Varane, Sancho and Ronaldo. Three quality players.
This.

Unread 16-10-2021, 11:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
Maybe they should get Conte back
He has a tantrum and £#%&!ed off because they wouldn’t let him buy the rest of our cast offs.

Unread 16-10-2021, 11:47 PM
Zorg

Quote:
He has a tantrum and £#%&!ed off because they wouldn’t let him buy the rest of our cast offs.
The potential candidates are £#%&!, nqat. He’s probably the best of them.

We’re in a right £#%&!ing mess.

Unread 17-10-2021, 12:25 AM
Stickman

Conte isn’t for me either but it’s horses for courses re his signings at Inter. I’m sure if he could have bought the likes of Varane and Sancho for them he would have. Inter aren’t really shopping quite at the same end of the market as United, City, Chelsea and Liverpool.

Further to that though, if we’re going to dig him out for buying shit players, then shouldn’t there be credit due for delivering a league title with shit?

Unread 17-10-2021, 12:31 AM
tatty

I don't get the argument that we shouldn't give Conte the job because he plays shit-on-a-stick football. He'd drill this squad in to a hard to beat team and then no doubt add at least one dcm which would totally change the way we play.

Ole can't even get the shit on to the stick.

Unread 17-10-2021, 12:38 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK14
Not buying that.

Conte or Zidane would get a tune out of this squad nqat and although it’ll be short term (2-3 seasons), in that time I fancy either of them to get us a league title.

I think we need to get one thing into our heads and the quicker our club starts to get it, the better - "short term" is the norm. That's the norm for the vast majority of the clubs in european football. Managers don't stay at clubs for decades at a time any more.

We need to let go of this delusion that if we fill the club with enough of Ferguson's acolytes that we're going to recreate this dynasty with one man at the helm for 10+ years. Its. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Having one man at the helm for 26 years has absolutely skewed our view of the football landscape to think that changing coaches in 4-5 year periods is somehow not the done thing. Or at least not the done thing at Manchester United. Which is wrong.

We're chasing a ghost. We're harking back to a time that doesn't apply any more. There's a time for certain managers and i think that December 2018 was Ole's time for us, he was the personality to take us out of that rut and now he's taken the job and the team as far as he can. His time here should be coming to an end.

And this mental notion that "there's nobody out there"...well what does that mean? That there's nobody out there who could do better? Or there's nobody out there who is going to turn this team into title winners? Because, if you think that a 3 time back to back european cup winning manager like Zidane couldn't do any better then i think you'd be mistaken. I guarantee nobody here would have wanted someone like Tuchel because he got the boot at PSG.

The fact is there are managers of great pedigree out there, who have experience of managing the best clubs and the best players but apparently they're not going to cut it? I don't buy it.

No manager comes with them the guarantee of success, but what you can do is seriously improve your odds of success by getting in someone of substance who has at least some experience of guiding a team to trophies at the top end of the game. And just because someone like Mourinho didn't work out - that doesn't mean you go completely the other £#%&!ing way and start throwing all your weight behind managerial novices.

Manchester United is not the club where anyone - players, managers or boardroom - should be learning on the £#%&!ing job.

Unread 17-10-2021, 12:46 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
I think we need to get one thing into our heads and the quicker our club starts to get it, the better - "short term" is the norm. That's the norm for the vast majority of the clubs in european football. Managers don't stay at clubs for decades at a time any more.

We need to let go of this delusion that if we fill the club with enough of Ferguson's acolytes that we're going to recreate this dynasty with one man at the helm for 10+ years. Its. Not. Going. To. Happen.

Having one man at the helm for 26 years has absolutely skewed our view of the football landscape to think that changing coaches in 4-5 year periods is somehow not the done thing. Or at least not the done thing at Manchester United. Which is wrong.

We're chasing a ghost. We're harking back to a time that doesn't apply any more. There's a time for certain managers and i think that December 2018 was Ole's time for us, he was the personality to take us out of that rut and now he's taken the job and the team as far as he can. His time here should be coming to an end.

And this mental notion that "there's nobody out there"...well what does that mean? That there's nobody out there who could do better? Or there's nobody out there who is going to turn this team into title winners? Because, if you think that a 3 time back to back european cup winning manager like Zidane couldn't do any better then i think you'd be mistaken. I guarantee nobody here would have wanted someone like Tuchel because he got the boot at PSG.

The fact is there are managers of great pedigree out there, who have experience of managing the best clubs and the best players but apparently they're not going to cut it? I don't buy it.

No manager comes with them the guarantee of success, but what you can do is seriously improve your odds of success by getting in someone of substance who has at least some experience of guiding a team to trophies at the top end of the game. And just because someone like Mourinho didn't work out - that doesn't mean you go completely the other £#%&!ing way and start throwing all your weight behind managerial novices.

Manchester United is not the club where anyone - players, managers or boardroom - should be learning on the £#%&!ing job.
Elite post.

Unread 17-10-2021, 12:59 AM
dunk

%@#$&!s. Pep and Klopp aren’t short term.

In fact, the only club that can point to the short term mentality are Chelsea, and they’ve had hit and miss success with it, and have no choice due to how the club is run regarding transfers etc.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:02 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
5 and 6 years in charge respectively.

They won't be in charge of either club in 2 years

Quote:

In fact, the only club that can point to the short term mentality are Chelsea, and they’ve had hit and miss success with it, and have no choice due to how the club is run regarding transfers etc.
They are the most successful club in england over the last 10 years.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:08 AM
dunk

When did they last win the league? 2017? Which was Conte? he £#%&!ed off and it’s taken 4 years to sort the shit he left behind out? Nah. Not for me pal. You like that shit, you know where it is.

The two teams with stable managers have dominated since.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:12 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
When did they last win the league? 2017? Which was Conte, he £#%&!ed off and it’s taken 4 years to sort the shit he left behind out? Nah. Not for me pal. You like that shit, you know where it is.
You're very good at telling everyone what you don't want. Why don't you try telling us what you do want?

What do you think United as a club should do?

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:19 AM
dunk

Quote:
You're very good at telling everyone what you don't want. Why don't you try telling us what you do want?

What do you think United as a club should do?
They should have been keeping an eye on potential successors since they hired him. They should already know the next step and be ready to replace him when required.

They won’t and haven’t, hence the wrong appointment now £#%&!s us further.

There’s nothing they can do now, or we’ll be stuck with another caretaker and, I dare say, the same coaching team, so until the season has gone completely he has to be left where he is.

Ole, for his part, has to make some changes to that side. If he doesn’t we’ll be floating dead in the water by December.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:23 AM
Sparky***

Quote:
They should have been keeping an eye on potential successors since they hired him. They should already know the next step and be ready to replace him when required.

They won’t and haven’t, hence the wrong appointment now £#%&!s us further.

There’s nothing they can do now, or we’ll be stuck with another caretaker and, I dare say, the same coaching team, so until the season has gone completely he has to be left where he is.

Ole, for his part, has to make some changes to that side. If he doesn’t we’ll be floating dead in the water by December.
Well, i think if i was a betting man i'd have money on the fact that they've not even considered looking at a replacement. They've gone all-in on Ole probably because he'll have a lot of cheerleaders in the club like Fergie etc.

Any thing they do will, as usual, be poorly planned.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:25 AM
dunk

Quote:
Well, i think if i was a betting man i'd have money on the fact that they've not even considered looking at a replacement. They've gone all-in on Ole probably because he'll have a lot of cheerleaders in the club like Fergie etc.

Any thing they do will, as usual, poorly planned.
They should’ve been moving for Nagelsman, everyone knew he was the next big thing. They won’t have even looked. There must be another one out there that would fit the bill. It doesn’t have to be an awful @#%&! like Conte.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:26 AM
poppy

Quote:
When did they last win the league? 2017? Which was Conte? he £#%&!ed off and it’s taken 4 years to sort the shit he left behind out? Nah. Not for me pal. You like that shit, you know where it is.

The two teams with stable managers have dominated since.
Steady on a bit. Liverpool have finished above us FIVE times in the last THIRTY seasons, and twice out of the last four. Yes, we’re bobbins and need a real manager in the job, but let’s not rewrite history. Imagine the scenes if Liverpool had finished above us 25 times in the last 30 years!

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:27 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
Steady on a bit. Liverpool have finished above us FIVE times in the last THIRTY seasons, and twice out of the last four. Yes, we’re bobbins and need a real manager in the job, but let’s not rewrite history. Imagine the scenes if Liverpool had finished above us 25 times in the last 30 years!
What?

The dippers are finally benefitting from stability of manager and squad.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:32 AM
poppy

Quote:
What?

The dippers are finally benefitting from stability of manager and squad.
And finished below us last season.

Unread 17-10-2021, 01:36 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy
And finished below us last season.
They weren’t allowed their drugs last season tbf.
Closed Thread