United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:30 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilvatwins
Lool you think the glazers care whether we challenge for the league or not. They just sold their shares for some cash. No chance they’re going to reinvest after sacking a manager. They will go to interim and use it as an excuse to not sign a jan player
They're not going to sack him any time soon. It's going to have to get very, very bad before they do.

And there'll be nothing left of the season to save by the time that happens.

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:32 PM
tatty

Quote:
Lool you think the glazers care whether we challenge for the league or not. They just sold their shares for some cash. No chance they’re going to reinvest after sacking a manager. They will go to interim and use it as an excuse to not sign a jan player
I'm not talking about challenging for the league.

I'm talking about challenging for top 4.

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:42 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
They're not going to sack him any time soon. It's going to have to get very, very bad before they do.

And there'll be nothing left of the season to save by the time that happens.
This. They’ve painted themselves into a corner on this one by constantly backing him. As long as the season is still mathematically salvageable (with the goals ever changing…. Title challenge…. Top four….still a hope of top four etc) they’ll keep him unless we go on a horrendous run (we won’t) or the dressing room turns (it might, but likely won’t).

The season will have a few death rattles, but will end with a struggle for top four, some painful losses, no trophies and the same excuses.

We have absolutely no excuse for being as bad as we are right now. It’s pretty indefensible.

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:46 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
What this is all going to ultimately show is that "being content with top 4" is a good way of making sure you don't make the top 4 anymore - we even have Arsenal as a previous warning

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:47 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by anon
Cringe
would you have picked a two-man midfield of matic and pogba to play leicester?

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:54 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
would you have picked a two-man midfield of matic and pogba to play leicester?
I wouldn’t hand pick that midfield to play the dog and £#%&!ing duck.

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:56 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
I wouldn’t hand pick that midfield to play the dog and £#%&!ing duck.
There are no two that are capable of anything under this team and the way we play.

Any combo is suicide. Today’s, probably the worst. And he’ll keep doing it. We look like nothing more than a group of good forwards thrown out there. Defenders playing it out and forwards doing whatever they like.

We look utterly lost.

Unread 16-10-2021, 07:58 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
There are no two that are capable of anything under this team and the way we play.

Any combo is suicide. Today’s, probably the worst. And he’ll keep doing it. We look like nothing more than a group of good forwards thrown out there. Defenders playing it out and forwards doing whatever they like.

We look utterly lost.
I feel like a broken record, but we’ve needed 3-4 new midfielders since LvG’s last days. In that time we’ve signed Pogba, Matic and Fred ffs. Oh, and the marvellous mr Beek. One isn’t a midfielder, 1 is drawing his pension, 1 is the worst Brazilian ever to play the game and £#%&! knows what the 4th is. It’s horrendous.

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:

We look utterly lost.
Bruno has to play , I think Bruno would be fine in a three man center mid with maybe VDB next to him to recycle possession and matic/The Scottish Player at the base.

The other option is to go 3-5-2 but to play that well we need good full backs who can attack well: shaw turns up when he wants and AWB can’t cross to save his life

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:01 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I feel like a broken record, but we’ve needed 3-4 new midfielders since LvG’s last days. In that time we’ve signed Pogba, Matic and Fred ffs. Oh, and the marvellous mr Beek. One isn’t a midfielder, 1 is drawing his pension, 1 is the worst Brazilian ever to play the game and £#%&! knows what the 4th is. It’s horrendous.
I know. I don’t think there’s a person on here who doesn’t recognise we need midfielders, but our problems are much deeper than that. They shouldn’t look as bad as this. It’s starting to become an excuse.

It’s not unreasonable to expect better performances than this despite some shortcomings in one area of the pitch.

And even if it is a big issue, we do nothing to protect it.

Teams do a lot better which much worse options. We look awful everywhere on the pitch now. That’s not just Fred’s fault.

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:27 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Far too many players in that front 6 who are defensive liabilities. Lot of talent in the squad but not much balance. Easy to focus on the defenders but they are getting no cover at all.

Ronaldo, well, there is going to be an ongoing discussion over his true value at this stage, his goals against him meaning we effectively play with 10 men out of possession.

Thrilled to see Rashford back, Sancho/Ronaldo and Greenwood is a nightmare for our midfield when the opposition have the ball.

Anyway, see you all next season.
Basically this. What Pogba is saying as well more or less.

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:29 PM
dunk

Quote:
Bruno has to play , I think Bruno would be fine in a three man center mid with maybe VDB next to him to recycle possession and matic/The Scottish Player at the base.

The other option is to go 3-5-2 but to play that well we need good full backs who can attack well: shaw turns up when he wants and AWB can’t cross to save his life
He wouldn’t. He’s rarely, if ever in actual midfield. He spends more time as the furthest man forward than he does in the midfield. He needs to be the free man, 2 forwards ahead of him and 3 midfielders behind him. The problem is that the midfielders then have to be much, much better at getting forward and passing the ball forwards as well as covering as the full backs inevitably go forward.

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:39 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
He wouldn’t. He’s rarely, if ever in actual midfield. He spends more time as the furthest man forward than he does in the midfield. He needs to be the free man, 2 forwards ahead of him and 3 midfielders behind him. The problem is that the midfielders then have to be much, much better at getting forward and passing the ball forwards as well as covering as the full backs inevitably go forward.
Well unless we someone sign a mid (we won’t) we are £#%&!ed. Ronaldo has to start in one of the forward positions , Bruno has to start in a number 10.

The options are 4231 where we don’t have the CM.

You can offset that by going 3-4-1-2 , but we don’t have the full backs with good attacking skills ( In shaw maybe but AWB never and we need to be competent on both sides)

You could go 4-4-2 diamond , we then have no width and three of rashford Greenwood ,Sancho and cavani will not be starting . ( you can maybe take cavani out the equation probably isn’t a big deal)

Similar in a 4-3-1-2 lack of width and three of the above won’t be starting , everything comes from the full backs WRT width and they just aren’t good enough . If we are only attacking down the left it will be easy to nullify.

I don’t know if it’s just shit planning , but something has to give. After the performance today I’ve just gone full doom lord

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:42 PM
Mr_Ed

Quote:
Well unless we someone sign a mid (we won’t) we are £#%&!ed. Ronaldo has to start in one of the forward positions , Bruno has to start in a number 10.

You can offset that by going 3-4-1-2 , but we don’t have the full backs with good attacking skills ( In shaw maybe but AWB never and we need to be competent on both sides)

You could go 4-4-2 diamond , we then have no width and three of rashford Greenwood ,Sancho and cavani will not be starting . ( you can maybe take cavani out the equation probably isn’t a big deal)

Similar in a 4-3-1-2 lack of width and three of the above won’t be starting , everything comes from the full backs WRT width and they just aren’t good enough . If we are only attacking down the left it will be easy to nullify.

I don’t know if it’s just shit planning , but something has to give. After the performance today I’ve just gone full doom lord
We signed a mid and paid £35m for him give or take. He gets minutes.

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:44 PM
dunk

Quote:

Pretty much. We all said the same thing: we have to buy a midfielder. We needed more, but without at least 1 we’re picking 2 of Matic, McT and Fred. At a push Pogba and maybe DvdB. Only one of them is a proper CM and he’s creaking horribly. The rest are various versions of the same £#%&!ing player with differing strengths, and none of the strengths are defending.

Unread 16-10-2021, 08:48 PM
Dasilvatwins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
We signed a mid and paid £35m for him give or take. He gets minutes.
Even if he plays him as a number 6 matic/The Scottish Player/Fred/pogba are still big liabilities. Matic probably not as much but he doesn’t have the legs to be in a squad challenging for things across the season.

Unread 16-10-2021, 09:08 PM
Dr Stranger

I’ve only just realised we’ve lost our long unbeaten away record.

What a crack-papering load of shit that was. The worst unbeaten run ever

Unread 16-10-2021, 09:09 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I’ve only just realised we’ve lost our long unbeaten away record.

What a crack-papering load of shit that was. The worst unbeaten run ever
yeah it might have been great if if wasn't for the fact we were pissing points away at home for fun

Unread 16-10-2021, 09:10 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
yeah it might have been great if if wasn't for the fact we were pissing points away at home for fun
I’ll take one loss and ten more wins, thanks.

Unread 16-10-2021, 09:16 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Basically this. What Pogba is saying as well more or less.
pogba talks the talk, but he doesn't walk the walk.

d.on is not the solution to our midfield problems, but it would certainly help.... given the quality of the players available... if we played three.