United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:08 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
I’m delighted with what we’ve got and disappointed with what we haven’t, and who we’ve failed to sell.

We know the Glazers are tight. The talk of around £100m net spend looks about on the money. That’s not a lot. It’s what I’d expect from them.

One of the biggest gripes in recent years as been as much about how we go about things, rather than the money we spend: taking ages to sort deals, pissing off selling clubs, then scrambling round on deadline day.

We’ve avoided that this year. We’ve paid good fees and done our business relatively early. We’ve signed players we need at the required standard of quality. Basic stuff we weren’t doing.

Ronaldo was an opportunity we couldn’t pass up and it makes sound business sense too.

The biggest let down has been a lack of midfielder that we desperately need and the lack of sales, and I’ve no doubt the two are linked.

I think we expected the likes of Lingard, Jones and possibly Pogba to leave and free up funds for a fourth or fifth signing.

If we had another £100m to throw around, I’ve no doubt Declan Rice would be here now too.

The lack of sales is a fall out from this ridiculous policy of renewing shit@#%&!s contracts, but hopefully it’s something we’ll put to bed now. Let’s hope some of the loan players out now will not be returning.

Overall, there’s a giant midfield hole that will bite us in the arse this season, but I think we’re all universally happy and excited by the three signings we have and we’ve done it in a far more encouraging way than recent years.

It’s changes nothing about the Glazers.
Ole could have bought a midfielder instead of spending £75m on yet another wide attacker. Greenwood. Rashford. Martial. Pogba (who's clearly better on the left). Diallo. James. Mata. The Uruguayan kid he bought. How many players does he need to cover 2 positions?

And even if he'd bought a midfielder, there's no guarantee he'd ever play the @#%&! anyway, the absolute nutter.

You just have to assume that he didn't see it as a top priority.

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:22 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Ole could have bought a midfielder instead of spending £75m on yet another wide attacker. Greenwood. Rashford. Martial. Pogba (who's clearly better on the left). Diallo. James. Mata. The Uruguayan kid he bought. How many players does he need to cover 2 positions?

And even if he'd bought a midfielder, there's no guarantee he'd ever play the @#%&! anyway, the absolute nutter.

We’ve needed a proper right sided attacker for several years now. Someone who doesn’t have to cut inside. It was a top priority along with midfield. It would have been done last summer too if the club didn’t #@&%! about, so we were unlikely to not revisit it.

Right side, CB and CM were all top priority. Sancho and Varane were doable and if we didn’t do it this summer, we’d have likely not got them.

I don’t think it’s clear that it’s not a top priority, more than that we don’t have budget for all of it. Something had to give. It’s the same every window. We need 4-5 or, we get 2-3.

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:25 AM
NedKelly

Quote:
We’ve needed a proper right sided attacker for several years now. Someone who doesn’t have to cut inside. It was a top priority along with midfield. It would have been done last summer too if the club didn’t #@&%! about, so we were unlikely to not revisit it.

Right side, CB and CM were all top priority. Sancho and Varane were doable and if we didn’t do it this summer, we’d have likely not got them.

I don’t think it’s clear that it’s not a top priority, more than that we don’t have budget for all of it. Something had to give. It’s the same every window. We need 4-5 or, we get 2-3.
Still started him on the left didn’t he? Scary to think it was only a few years ago we had no actual right back, and the player we put there was our only right winger this club; I love us, but it isn’t always easy.

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:26 AM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

We have needed a proper right sided attacker for years. Then Greenwood happened. Hes been brilliant in that role, and would get better and better.

I like Sancho. Wouldn't have been a priority for me though Jeff.

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:27 AM
jem

can't take any post that says united "don’t have budget for all of it" seriously. getting some credible dms in should be an absolute priority for a club looking to compete or even be taken seriously.

we can afford the piss in the ocean of £100mio on two decent midfielders. but our business plan doesn't require us to compete.

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:32 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
can't take any post that says united "don’t have budget for all of it" seriously. getting some credible dms in should be an absolute priority for a club looking to compete or even be taken seriously.

we can afford the piss in the ocean of £100mio on two decent midfielders. but our business plan doesn't require us to compete.
Oh we have that money, we just aren’t willing to spend it. This is why the glazers deserve £#%&! all credit (I’m sure Sky will be praising them and telling us all to shut up). They’re doing what they always do, which is spend enough to make it look like they’re serious, without being serious.

They magically found £70m down the back of their sofa for Ronaldo and his wages because it’s a “special case”. Yeah, one where you make a killing on merchandise. Rats.

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:33 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Screams of false economy to me. We’re going to have to buy 2-3 midfielders next summer, deferring that expenditure until next year when it likely costs in performance and probably success/income this season is daft. Prices will likely have gone up next year as well

I wouldn’t mind, but they’re paying for everyone on the never never anyway

Unread 31-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
We have needed a proper right sided attacker for years. Then Greenwood happened. Hes been brilliant in that role, and would get better and better.

I like Sancho. Wouldn't have been a priority for me though Jeff.
I think we’d all have different views on the ranking of priorities and It’ll shift depending on how we do at any given time, but the point was more that we simply aren’t able to get everthing we need, but I don’t think that means we aren’t looking for it.

It’s a case of availability too. If he’s identified Varane, Sancho and, let’s say, Rice as targets, then the other two might be simply more gettable this summer. The groundwork was done with Sancho last summer and Varane was a now or never deal. As was Ronaldo.

I’ll be amazed if we aren’t in for a top £50m+ midfielder next summer

Unread 31-08-2021, 12:31 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

Not sure private messages on instagram is going to change anything, pal.

Unread 31-08-2021, 12:42 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by windy waffles

Unread 31-08-2021, 12:49 PM
believe

Quote:
:tapsnose:

Unread 31-08-2021, 06:03 PM
saffers

Quote:

Big big questions marks about his spending.

Not even brought up Bissakka for £55m and already halfway through last season talking to Trippier who would come in as 1st choice.

Diallo for £40m as a prospect when we have huge priorities elsewhere. VdB for £35m when he barely plays.

Varane and Bruno absolute slam dunks though. I suspect Sancho will also be. With his talent it is on us if he doesnt succeed.

Unread 31-08-2021, 06:58 PM
browser

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

Not even brought up Bissakka for £55m and already halfway through last season talking to Trippier who would come in as 1st choice.

Diallo for £40m as a prospect when we have huge priorities elsewhere. VdB for £35m when he barely plays.

Varane and Bruno absolute slam dunks though. I suspect Sancho will also be. With his talent it is on us if he doesnt succeed.
Diallo was 18m with potential for 15m add ons if he goes on to be a world beater, though I know that doesn’t fit the narrative as well for some

Unread 31-08-2021, 07:28 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by browser
Diallo was 18m with potential for 15m add ons if he goes on to be a world beater, though I know that doesn’t fit the narrative as well for some
Wan wasn't £55m either, but there's £#%&! all point engaging with him.

Unread 31-08-2021, 07:50 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I've only been on here in bits and bobs lately, but is this guy a WUM?
Probably from Red Cafe tbh.

Unread 01-09-2021, 10:24 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers

From what I've seen so far, I think Sancho is going to be underwhelming.

Mkhitaryan mk II.

Unread 01-09-2021, 10:26 AM
silv

Quote:

Mkhitaryan mk II.
Not had much luck with our Dortmund signings

Unread 01-09-2021, 10:27 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:

Mkhitaryan mk II.
Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
Not had much luck with our Dortmund signings

Thick as clotted cream

Unread 01-09-2021, 10:30 AM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
Thick as clotted cream
Why am I wrong?

Mhiki's stats in Germany were also fantastic - came over here and stunk the place out.

Unread 01-09-2021, 10:30 AM
dunk

Sancho will need a bit of time, but he’ll be fantastic imo.
Closed Thread