United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:40 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
He was somehow upgraded to free kick duty tonight.
Put a good one in second half tbf

I don't mind what he's doing with Jones.

We've heard for a while now how good he is. The greatest manager and the best footballer Britain has produced both tell us he's a special all-round talent. LvG is putting him under pressure to prove it. Not letting him have it easy, making him take responsibility. If you're such a great footballer, let's see it. Lots being asked of him on the ball, and at the moment he's making a mockery of those who praised him so highly. Shown faith and given responsibility by the manager, tonight he looked like he was wearing the wrong shirt.

I don't think his future is in immediate danger, but if he does get bombed out the club he can have no complaints.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:41 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Put a good one in second half tbf

I don't mind what he's doing with Jones.

We've heard for a while now how good he is. The greatest manager and the best footballer Britain has produced both tell us he's a special all-round talent. LvG is putting him under pressure to prove it. Not letting him have it easy, making him take responsibility. If you're such a great footballer, let's see it. Lots being asked of him on the ball, and at the moment he's making a mockery of those who praised him so highly. Shown faith and given responsibility by the manager, tonight he looked like he was wearing the wrong shi

I don't think his future is in immediate danger, but if he does get bombed out the club he can have no complaints.
He's £#%&!. Absolutely £#%&!.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:45 PM
Barracuda

Dreadful passing from the lad tonight, has to have the heaviest feet in existence - but funnily enough still one of the very few players in the world who are more composed with the ball than without it?

As for the corners, it's just too ridiculous for words...

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Sparky***

He's always been a dreadful £#%&!ing oaf. I can't believe it's taken most people this long to £#%&!ing see it.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:46 PM
Neo

He won't last here as he hasn't got the ability required on the ball for a Van Gaal side. He'll probably end up being a decent centre-back somewhere else, but Van Gaal will go out and buy a player than can play out from the back line, and likely partner him with Rojo.

Compare the distribution of Jones to Rojo, and it's so obvious which one is more comfortable in this system. In fact, I'm not sure there is a player in world football less suited to a Van Gaal team than Phil Jones.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:49 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo
He won't last here as he hasn't got the ability required on the ball for a Van Gaal side. He'll probably end up being a decent centre-back somewhere else, but Van Gaal will go out and buy a player than can play out from the back line, and likely partner him with Rojo.

Compare the distribution of Jones to Rojo, and it's so obvious which one is more comfortable in this system. In fact, I'm not sure there is a player in world football less suited to a Van Gaal team than Phil Jones.
Tonight was a good example of why the complaints about the system are partly misplaced. Even in a back four he will demand the defenders take responsibility. We made excuses for Jones when he was played out of position. He's been strictly a central defender for a while now, asked to distribute from the back and he's got to step up. Doesn't look good at the moment.

I do think the set-up of the side tonight was a bit weird, but the basic mistakes he made in possession were inexcusable.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:51 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neo

All our defenders are shit tbh. I can't see any of them being here in 2 years.

Ps - Rojo's distribution = good. Really?

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:53 PM
andyroo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
All our defenders are shit tbh. I can't see any of them being here in 2 years.

Huh? They'll still be here because they're so shit and we pay them so much we can't shift them. Like all the other @#%&!s.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:55 PM
carlosartorial

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
Huh? They'll still be here because they're so shit and we pay them so much we can't shift them. Like all the other @#%&!s.
There was a huge clearout last summer and it'll be a shock if we don't see similar this summer imo.

Unread 23-01-2015, 11:57 PM
Neo

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosartorial
I didn't say it was good, I just said it's better than the Blackburn Lummox's.

Agreed regarding the shitness of all our defenders, tbh. I blame Fergie for that, too. The job he did replacing Rio and Vidic (and Evra) was shambolic.

We haven't had a consistently good right-back since Gary Neville, either. A mess. :shakehead:

Unread 24-01-2015, 02:31 AM
Grimson

Quote:
We've heard for a while now how good he is. The greatest manager and the best footballer Britain has produced both tell us he's a special all-round talent.
He's been right far, far more often than he's been wrong, but that doesn't mean he's never wrong.

Any day now Jordan Henderson will have to get a new career because of his running style.

Unread 24-01-2015, 02:35 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson
He's been right far, far more often than he's been wrong, but that doesn't mean he's never wrong.

Any day now Jordan Henderson will have to get a new career because of his running style.
Nick Powell is inching ever closer to that England spot too.

Unread 24-01-2015, 02:53 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimson

Oh indeed. But imagine turning up as new AC Milan coach and having Franco Baresi and Arrigo Sacchi saying that one of your younger players is the next £#%&!ing Paolo Maldini. You'd at probably feel you have to absolutely exhaust the possibility.

Corners, more touches than anyone else at times, he is giving Jones every chance to prove he's a footballer

Unread 24-01-2015, 02:58 AM
RedMenace

Quote:
Oh indeed. But imagine turning up as new AC Milan coach and having Franco Baresi and Arrigo Sacchi saying that one of your younger players is the next £#%&!ing Paolo Maldini. You'd at probably feel you have to absolutely exhaust the possibility.

Corners, more touches than anyone else at times, he is giving Jones every chance to prove he's a footballer
I like Jones' attitude though, he doesn't quit even when he's having a shocker unlike say Evans. And imo the defensive side of his game is not that bad. He won't be a LVG defender long term but he's an ok PL level defender at the moment.
Closed Thread