United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:14 AM
ZiggyStardust

Football Stamford Bridge redevelopment plans

Hate to say it but it looks really good

The outside exterior seems to be mostly made of stone which is very different to the boring new glass and steel stadiums that are common place these days

Not that it's going to happen but OT seriously needs a face lift as it's looking very dated especially the monstrosity of a roof on North, East and West stands

Quote:
Chelsea owner Roman Abramovich will unveil his remarkable vision for the future of the Premier League champions on Tuesday at the start of a three-day public consultation at Stamford Bridge.

The exhibition for local residents will be the first glimpse for Chelsea fans of Abramovich’s blueprint for a rebuilt 60,000 stadium that he wants to be a cathedral of football, paying homage to the club’s history at their one and only venue.

The design of the four new stands will take their inspiration not from the uniform style of most recent stadiums, but from the buttresses, pillars and gothic architecture of Westminster Abbey in whose diocese Stamford Bridge once stood.

And the history of the club’s surrounding neighbourhood has been studied to the extent that a modern version of Stamford Bridge itself — first mentioned in 1410 to be in need of repairs in the court rolls of Henry IV — will be part of the grand design more than 600 years later, going back to the future.

This attention to detail has even included researching the exact shade of the original Chelsea blue.

The building plan — with no estimated cost at such an early stage but likely to be well in excess of the mooted £500million — is being financed by Abramovich, who is conducting the whole ambitious project as a separate entity run by his people away from Chelsea Football Club business.

He has assembled a professional A-list team comprising a masterplan architect (Lifschutz Davidson Sandilands), stadium architect (Herzog & De Meuron), strategic planners (Aecom), railways and transportation (WSP) and structural engineers (Schlaich Bergermann & Partner) to work on the plan.

It would see Chelsea spend three seasons playing at a temporary home, with Wembley and Twickenham two possibilities.

Abramovich, who bought Chelsea from Ken Bates in 2003, is understood in June 2013 to have finally reached the conclusion that the club should stay at Stamford Bridge and extend there rather than move elsewhere.

This follows a frustrating decade in which Abramovich examined a number of fanciful proposed alternative sites including Earls Court, Battersea Power Station, White City, and Chelsea and Westminster Hospital. But none proved feasible — with the only winners being those who collected the numerous consultancy fees.

Billionaire Abramovich’s eureka moment has led to his handpicked group working for two years towards this first consultancy exercise, which will take place in the East Stand.

The fine detail will see the Chelsea owner and his building team work within the contours of the current site at Stamford Bridge, with the new four stands even following the angles of the old singular North Stand and the shape of the ground as it was in 1939.

Most of the new seating capacity will be in the South Stand and the two hotels on the concourse will be demolished, with Abramovich wanting his new Chelsea to be for football only.

The benefits to the neighbourhood will include long-planned pedestrian walkways above the railway lines that define the boundaries to two sides of the site, plus seats reserved for local residents.

Despite the disruption the building of a new stadium will cause to locals, Chelsea fans can be assured that it will at least guarantee the Abramovich ownership dynasty.

Part of Roman’s reasons for wanting to spend the best part of another billion pounds on Chelsea is to eventually hand over a stadium fit for a European football superpower to his eldest son, 21-year-old Arkadiy, who has inherited his father’s love of the club.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...ty-60-000.html

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:18 AM
Ginners

That looks class tbf

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:19 AM
Baron

Looks sensational. @#%&!s.

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:38 AM
TheFatGoth

Looks shit. £#%&! em.

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:41 AM
BarryX

They forgot to put in floodlights and it looks like a glorified car park

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM
forzagarza

What those photos don't make quite clear is that the toilets will be buckets and all the shit and piss will be thrown out into running sewers surrounding the stadium.

Looks like a 1970s church tbh

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:47 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Looks quality.

Unread 01-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Denis Irwell

The exhibition for local residents will be the first glimpse for Chelsea fans of Abramovich’s blueprint for a rebuilt 60,000 stadium that he wants to be a cathedral of football, paying homage to the club’s history " of their one and only title before they had a £#%&!ing lottery win after spending years in Div 2."

c***s

Unread 01-07-2015, 11:15 AM
dragflick

Yeah, often think the roof looks shit when I'm flying over OT in my microlite tbf...

New renters one looks alright, if it was a prison.

Unread 01-07-2015, 11:16 AM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Yeah, often think the roof looks shit when I'm flying over OT in my microlite tbf...

I'm in the "out" camp tbh it looks £#%&!ing shit

Unread 01-07-2015, 11:37 AM
General Woundwort

Not sure what everyone is basing their opinions on tbh. I can barely make out what it's supposed to look like from those sepia doodles

Unread 01-07-2015, 11:45 AM
Gypsum Fantastic

looks good if you always liked the idea of including a football stadium as part of the bagpuss opening credits.

Unread 01-07-2015, 11:49 AM
Vedder

It's ugly as £#%&!.

Unread 01-07-2015, 12:07 PM
boreez

Looks like an aqueduct meeting an air filter.

Unread 01-07-2015, 12:20 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick

Sort the south stand out and OT is 95,000. Should do it when Louis wins the CL.

Unread 01-07-2015, 12:24 PM
Sparky***

Has it got a rank outside?

They can build whatever they want after demba ba last season.

Not surprised they've gone for an unusual design, it's inkeeping with the image of the area.

I wonder if they'll ever actually move back into the borough of kensington and chelsea.

Unread 01-07-2015, 12:31 PM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch

Sort the south stand out and OT is 95,000. Should do it when Louis wins the CL.
Would be a great chance to rip up the roofs on the other stands and get a level uniform roof around all the stands like it was back in 1994

The current downward slopping roofs we have that block out views of the rest of the ground :shakehead:

Unread 01-07-2015, 01:46 PM
doudou

From a distance it reminds me of the Holocaust memorial in Berlin.

Can't see that going down too well.

Unread 01-07-2015, 01:51 PM
MrBishi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZiggyStardust
Would be a great chance to rip up the roofs on the other stands and get a level uniform roof around all the stands like it was back in 1994

The current downward slopping roofs we have that block out views of the rest of the ground :shakehead:
As much as I'd love to see that happen, it'd be bloody expensive and wouldn't bring in a penny.

My best hope for the future is for the standing 'experiment' at Parkhead to be widely adopted and we rip out the seats in the Stretty lower

Unread 01-07-2015, 01:52 PM
Jack Duckworth

why do the pictures look like something from a 1920s mining community?
Closed Thread