United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:28 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
cos he is world class and unlike the other 2 he scores goals. hope that helps.
Yeah Tevez doesn't score. Must have imagined all those important goals last season.

When we have a midfield capable of supplying the forwards with chances so they're not having to constantly come deep to get the ball we'll see the best of Rooney and Tevez. Their work rate and the space that they create was one of the key factors in Ronaldo's impressive scoring record last season.

Berbatov will score plenty of goals in this team if he comes but I doubt he'll be as important to our style of play as either Wazza or Trevor.

Rooney and Tevez > Berbatov imho.

Unread 26-08-2008, 07:39 AM
Whip Hubley

/mike sits back and watches his fellow reds argue over 2 of the worlds best centre forwards

rooney was absolutely superb last night. tevez was very good. rooney did score - it's just not official and it was an excellent finish

sometimes the above sentence has the names reversed.

both are needed to push for trophies

the end.

Unread 26-08-2008, 07:46 AM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
I woud say Rooney's performance tonight was decent if not good - but that was unusual I would say, and he never looks like a natural out and out striker - and thats always a worry. Strikers need to be making the right runs at the right times like clockwork otherwise you run into brick walls.
Tevez is better in the key areas of the deep lying striker role, his touch in tight areas and ability to shield the ball under pressure, turn and open up the play is markedly superior to Rooney at the moment.

Rooney physically worries me, he looks heavy, clumsy at times, and his running which used to be powerful and dynamic looks laboured. He missed 2 weeks with his virus, but I am to sure that is the whole reason.

The pity for him tonight was that he scored a great goal, touch and quick take from a very tight angle, type of thing he needs.

As to the point of the original post, Berbatov can play either off or as the main striker, superb technique makes him an excellent target man. Good to have options, and Rooney will still be first choice as much for the leadership he brings.

Unread 26-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Whalefish

Rooney had a perfectly good goal disallowed tonight, played very well too.

Tevez is superb also.

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:03 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Rooney had a perfectly good goal disallowed tonight, played very well too.
and it was some £#%&!ing finish too, if it had been allowed the £#%&!wits would have been slagging off Tevez for not producing a goal

cant £#%&!ing win with this lot

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:06 AM
Whalefish

Both played really well last night. We got three points from a ground we've always struggled at in recent years. May have only been 1-0 but so what. Crack on, looking forward to Friday now.

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:08 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Crack on, looking forward to Friday now.
fly out at 8am me, looking forward to it myself. should be a right larf!!

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Jez Quigley

Thumbs up I think

there will be games this season where the Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov Triangle of Terror will be lauded in the press as the new Best, Law and Charlton. The new Steed, Gambit and Purdey. The new Rod, Jane and Freddy.

Incidentally, an anagram of that trio would "Boozy, Brave, Even 'otter"

I think that says it better than any mere Quigster ever could.

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley
there will be games this season where the Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov Triangle of Terror will be lauded in the press as the new Best, Law and Charlton. The new Steed, Gambit and Purdey. The new Rod, Jane and Freddy.

Incidentally, an anagram of that trio would "Boozy, Brave, Even 'otter"

I think that says it better than any mere Quigster ever could.
I am aware you work in the Oil game but for the love of god man avoid the fumes.

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Jez Quigley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps
I am aware you work in the Oil game but for the love of god man avoid the fumes.

I'm sitting here with my underpants on my head, 2 pencils up my nose and reminiscing about the battle of Umboto Gorge

Seriously, never taken a drug in my life (or sniffed anything - apart from Japanese schoolgirl's underwear from a Tokyo vending machine) as I do worry what nonsense would come out......

Good memory by the way! Incidentally, met a Libyan doctor last weekend. Soon as he saw I was from Manchester - my golly, he wouldn't shut up! When's Hargreaves back? Will Utd sign Berbatov? Is Ronaldo staying? Really is amazing - Utd really are something special.

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jez Quigley

I'm sitting here with my underpants on my head, 2 pencils up my nose and reminiscing about the battle of Umboto Gorge

Seriously, never taken a drug in my life (or sniffed anything - apart from Japanese schoolgirl's underwear from a Tokyo vending machine) as I do worry what nonsense would come out......

Good memory by the way! Incidentally, met a Libyan doctor last weekend. Soon as he saw I was from Manchester - my golly, he wouldn't shut up! When's Hargreaves back? Will Utd sign Berbatov? Is Ronaldo staying? Really is amazing - Utd really are something special.

I laughed as I was eating my Rice Crispies then and now I have one stuck in my nasal cavity.

I thought that say 'Libyan Dictator' first time round then too.

Unread 26-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Crumps

Unread 26-08-2008, 09:24 AM
antonin jablonsky

Thought Rooney played well tonight up front, was a genuine goal threat all night, coulda had a hat-trick on another night. Tevez, playing much deeper was good too, glad both are United players.

Unread 26-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
I woud say Rooney's performance tonight was decent if not good - but that was unusual I would say, and he never looks like a natural out and out striker - and thats always a worry. Strikers need to be making the right runs at the right times like clockwork otherwise you run into brick walls.

Rooney used to whack a ball with the best of them, you used to think he could score from anywhere within 25 yards, he was like an 18 yr old striker version of Gerrard with the skill of Gazza, touch of Zidane and determination of Keane.

Looking back at some of his earlier games, he was amazing and could finish as cool as you like. There was no fear in his game, as soon as he had an angle on goal he would whack it. He seems afraid now, like somethings haunting him and his confidence is low.

Its not like Tevez who has never been that hot at finishing or shooting from distance, Rooney was much better than he is now and there has to be questions asked as to why that is and how we get back to that level.
Rooney seemed far more potent back then. I wonder if he will turn into a Giggs-like player; someone who scores the occassional nice goal and generally gets into double figures for the season, but lacks conviction in front of goal.

Like you say, he used to blast his shots a lot more often. Now he dallies far too often, either taking too long before he is tackled, or tries going round the keeper only to flop. Seen quite a few shanks aswell.

Contrast this with Tevez who's finishing is improving all the time.

Unread 26-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
Rooney seemed far more potent back then. I wonder if he will turn into a Giggs-like player; someone who scores the occassional nice goal and generally gets into double figures for the season, but lacks conviction in front of goal.

Like you say, he used to blast his shots a lot more often. Now he dallies far too often, either taking too long before he is tackled, or tries going round the keeper only to flop. Seen quite a few shanks aswell.

Contrast this with Tevez who's finishing is improving all the time.
£#%&! me, Tevez is the new Ruud now when it comes to finishing

Rooney scored 18 goals last season, the first time that his scoring record hadn't improved from the previous season.

Tevez scored 1 more.

Rooney needs to improve his finishing, but Tevez isn't much better at all.

We'll see who scores more this season, perhaps we could have a V Bet.

Unread 26-08-2008, 10:49 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crumps

legend

Unread 26-08-2008, 10:50 AM
Whalefish

This Rooney/Tevez debate. File alongside other boring %@#$&!s like will Ronaldo arrive, will Berbatov sign etc.

Be thankful both play for Utd, they're both excellent players.

It's quite possible we'll have three top quality strikers soon and Manucho. All four of them will get (enough) games and different combinations will be used. Don't think another PL club can boast that.

Oh, there's also the small matter of the best player in the PL returning to full fitness.

Can't be arsed with the nitpicking, just enjoy it. It'll be nice to have top quality attacking options. As opposed to Wayne, Tevez and Saha.

Unread 26-08-2008, 10:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

Rooney scored 18 goals last season, the first time that his scoring record hadn't improved from the previous season.

Tevez scored 1 more.

Rooney scored with a superb finish last night, dreadful refereeing decision denied him a goal. Tevez was excellent too.

Unread 26-08-2008, 10:58 AM
antonin jablonsky

Thumbs up

Quote:
This Rooney/Tevez debate. File alongside other boring %@#$&!s like will Ronaldo arrive, will Berbatov sign etc.

Be thankful both play for Utd, they're both excellent players.

It's quite possible we'll have three top quality strikers soon and Manucho. All four of them will get (enough) games and different combinations will be used. Don't think another PL club can boast that.

Oh, there's also the small matter of the best player in the PL returning to full fitness.

Can't be arsed with the nitpicking, just enjoy it. It'll be nice to have top quality attacking options. As opposed to Wayne, Tevez and Saha.
Spot the £#%&! on Whalers.

Unread 26-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao

Tevez scored 1 more.

You're a man whose opinion I respect greatly...but on this occassion I have to disagree. Tevez missed a few chances last year, but Rooney misses more.

Seems to me like Tevez is improving, while Waaza is regressing.
Closed Thread