United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:57 PM
Vic Mackey

Default Rooney misses too many one-on-ones

At the end of the day, its only the FA Cup and I'm not going to go on and on about it.

Several players missed very good chances today and we could easily have scored 2 or 3. BUT, Rooney missed another presentable chance at 0-0. He just misses far too many one-on-ones.

His workrate is commendable and the team is more creative with him in it, but I'm getting frustrated at the number of chances he misses.

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM
keano's love

your thread title would be more accurate if it went like this....

ROoney misses too many chances.

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:58 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Mackey
At the end of the day, its only the FA Cup and I'm not going to go on and on about it.

Several players missed very good chances today and we could easily have scored 2 or 3. BUT, Rooney missed another presentable chance at 0-0. He just misses far too many one-on-ones.

His workrate is commendable and the team is more creative with him in it, but I'm getting frustrated at the number of chances he misses.
only the fa cup. i quite happen to like this competition and value it.

But then i can remember when it was all we had to look forward to of a season.

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Tronics

So what do you want?

You want Defoe?

SMH

Unread 08-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Whalefish

Still think it was the only trophy we were going to win tbh so I'm not sure I agree with the 'only' sentiment.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:01 PM
S/Side.Red

It's very strange. He was such a composed and clinical finisher for the first year or two here. These days he goes through on goal and you're just not confident at all. Also couldn't understand why, when we're chasing the game with ten men, Wazza was running around the halfway line looking to receive the ball.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:06 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
It's very strange. He was such a composed and clinical finisher for the first year or two here. These days he goes through on goal and you're just not confident at all. Also couldn't understand why, when we're chasing the game with ten men, Wazza was running around the halfway line looking to receive the ball.
probably because fergie told him to do that. I doubt rooney was going to score with 11 men behind the ball when he could score with one behind it.

at least he was playing in a position where he could do some help and is good at. picking out men with good passes.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:11 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
your thread title would be more accurate if it went like this....

ROoney misses too many chances.
Yeah I guess that could be said.

At the moment he's creative but not clinical. But its been like that for a while now.

Nearly cost us in Lyon.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:14 PM
keano's love

Is he the new Andy Cole? Or would that be an insult to Andy Cole. But then again even though Andy Cole missed few chances, not this many. I am surprised hansen/hoddle haven't come up with a quote for rooney

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM
Vic Mackey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
Still think it was the only trophy we were going to win tbh so I'm not sure I agree with the 'only' sentiment.
Well I'm talking about its importance relative to the league and the Champions League.

The referree really pissed me off today, and I didnt think Portsmouth played that well. They had some massive slices of luck.

However, we should have taken it out of the referee's hand and gone out and won the game. Rooney has been one of the worst culprits for missed chances this season. Tevez was missing quite a few earlier in the season (City, Portsmouth) but he has improved this part of his play.

Rooney in my mind as been finishing poorly for 18 months.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:15 PM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by keano's love
probably because fergie told him to do that. I doubt rooney was going to score with 11 men behind the ball when he could score with one behind it.

at least he was playing in a position where he could do some help and is good at. picking out men with good passes.
We had Scholes, Carrick and Anderson in midfield. How many passers do you want?

I doubt it was an instruction from Fergie. I think it was more down to Rooney's determination to contribute, but he really does us no favours chasing the ball and leaving the attacking third empty.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:16 PM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Too many times this season he's been waseful in goal, perfect example was Newcastle at Home, he should have had a hatrick in the first 20 mins of the game.

Eventually it was going to cost us but today the chance in the first half eventually cost us, Campbell did well to get back but Rooney was so £#%&!ing laid back, and tried to go for the perfect goal again.

JUST BLAST THE £#%&!ING THING

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Tronics

Rooney out, Saha in!

LOL

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:17 PM
Ether

Yes, he missed a chance. But he also made 3 chances for other players that should have resulted in goals.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:18 PM
Rhodzy

It was a shit pass by Tevez, one of plenty by him.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:19 PM
keano's love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronics
Rooney out, Saha in!

LOL
saha will break while trying to go in!!

jem

Default rooney played extremely well

and the only chance he missed, he went round the keeper and the defender got back well on his blind side.

he has missed too many agains the keeper recently, but not today.

That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ether
Yes, he missed a chance. But he also made 3 chances for other players that should have resulted in goals.
I agree but he's our main striker, and he's wasteful in front of goal.

He's in the team to score goals.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:20 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Also couldn't understand why, when we're chasing the game with ten men, Wazza was running around the halfway line looking to receive the ball.
Once we'd gone behind, we didn't really look like we wanted to get a goal back imo. At times there was no one upfront, we were knocking it about in our own half and there was just a lot of fannying about. No urgency at all. The players just looked like they couldn't be arsed with a replay.

Unread 08-03-2008, 04:24 PM
Ether

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
I agree but he's our main striker, and he's wasteful in front of goal.

He's in the team to score goals.
He's not a main striker though. And he's not just in the team to score goals. If you want that type of forward bring Ruud back ffs.
Closed Thread