United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:16 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The handball? Or when Bruno played the ball before he was tackled from behind?
Bruno getting scythed.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:20 PM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
This, very much so and seemingly echoed in the media. Dan Burn's "we've always hated man yoo" comments also laughed off and encouraged.

I might have missed it but was there even a momentary discussion about the clear and obvious penalty we weren't given?
Nope. Didn't even warrant more than one replay, and that was shown so Bruno could be scrutinised for diving. The angle needed to show it was either a penalty or a corner, of which we were given neither, was never shown. MOTWYW.

What really £#%&!ed me off wa sthat big galoot Burn trampling all over Rashford's heels, his boot coming off and the ref waving play on, Neville giving it the 'ref is letting the game flow, no soft ones being given' only for Newcastle to collapse and get a FK whenever they felt like it

They were smashing through us every time, we were clearly intimidated by it frustratingly/annoyingly, leaving a foot in etc. then collapsing under the slightest challenge when they had the ball. Ref bought the lot.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:23 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
Nope. Didn't even warrant more than one replay, and that was shown so Bruno could be scrutinised for diving. The angle needed to show it was either a penalty or a corner, of which we were given neither, was never shown. MOTWYW.

What really £#%&!ed me off wa sthat big galoot Burn trampling all over Rashford's heels, his boot coming off and the ref waving play on, Neville giving it the 'ref is letting the game flow, no soft ones being given' only for Newcastle to collapse and get a FK whenever they felt like it

They were smashing through us every time, we were clearly intimidated by it frustratingly/annoyingly, leaving a foot in etc. then collapsing under the slightest challenge when they had the ball. Ref bought the lot.
Yep, Rashford holding his boot might have been a clue for the ref.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:23 PM
dunk

I'm not sure a single player in red put in a tackle worthy of the name all game, or any force into a 50/50 tbh. Just limp and soft throughout the team while they were battering us at every opportunity.

Of course, our players know they'll be booked or sent off at every conceivable opportunity, which makes it more difficult, but you can't let that stop you from competing ffs.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:27 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger
Bruno getting scythed.
got replayed and then quickly forgotten about. I can only imagine what the reaction would be had it been on a newcastle player. i would imagine they'd be wheeling Dermot Gallagher on sky to analyse the injustice of it all. Fair play to the Ten Hag though, he doesn't come out and start picking isolated incidents to cover for terrible performances, he just calls it how it is.

Newcastle are riding the crest of a wave since their takeover and currently everything is pulling in their favour. United, Liverpool, Chelsea and spurs having very up and down league campaigns has left the door open for them and fair enough they've walked through it.

But their over the top enthusiasm gives way to outright giddiness a lot, the scenes yesterday, coupled with the comments from Burn after the game, the huge displays of flags and general Cup final feel of the entire event won't last forever. Everyone gets their turn in the barrel and pretty soon they'll reach their ceiling under Eddie Howe. The fans will now expect this every season, so rather than playing to a fan base who are just happy to not be rubbish any more, they'll be expecting top 4.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:33 PM
puressence

have 3 aways on bounce then spurs at home when we play semi final .. lets see what the situation is like then

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:34 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
I'm not sure a single player in red put in a tackle worthy of the name all game, or any force into a 50/50 tbh. Just limp and soft throughout the team while they were battering us at every opportunity.

Of course, our players know they'll be booked or sent off at every conceivable opportunity, which makes it more difficult, but you can't let that stop you from competing ffs.
I don't think that has any real bearing on it tbh. I just think we weren't organised or pro active enough to get hold of the game. I look at Newcastle's midfield yesterday and was it really better than ours on paper? Joe Willock, Bruno Guimares and Sean Longstaff v The Scottish Player, Sabitzer and Fernandes? No. but they played as an organised unit whereas our midfield were running around like headless chickens.

It's not about putting in crunching tackles, you have to be brave on the ball and pro active without it. Our forwards were wasteful, the midfielders were all running around like headless chickens leaving gaps everywhere and at no point did Weghorst even remotely get near touching the ball so we could even build something.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:35 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
got replayed and then quickly forgotten about. I can only imagine what the reaction would be had it been on a newcastle player. i would imagine they'd be wheeling Dermot Gallagher on sky to analyse the injustice of it all. Fair play to the Ten Hag though, he doesn't come out and start picking isolated incidents to cover for terrible performances, he just calls it how it is.

Newcastle are riding the crest of a wave since their takeover and currently everything is pulling in their favour. United, Liverpool, Chelsea and spurs having very up and down league campaigns has left the door open for them and fair enough they've walked through it.

But their over the top enthusiasm gives way to outright giddiness a lot, the scenes yesterday, coupled with the comments from Burn after the game, the huge displays of flags and general Cup final feel of the entire event won't last forever. Everyone gets their turn in the barrel and pretty soon they'll reach their ceiling under Eddie Howe. The fans will now expect this every season, so rather than playing to a fan base who are just happy to not be rubbish any more, they'll be expecting top 4.
They’re a weird contrast.

They have a ridiculously high opinion of themselves, yet their behaviour is small time. Laps of honour, gawping at London like yank tourists, those bellies and you even had Shay Given talking about the club giving the city a real lift like they’re some sleepy rural village on a remarkable cup run.

They’re average as £#%&! too. Well drilled and intense, but no real quality. If they do make top four (which I’m far from convinced they will) it’ll be largely due to the failings of others. They’ll never get chelsea and Liverpool as shit as this in the same season again.

Let them have their moment. They lose the main one and I’d still bet decent money we’ll finish above them this season.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:36 PM
dunk

Tbf, Guimaraes and Longstaff are much, much better midfielders than the 3 'midfielders' we had on the pitch.

Bruno and Sabitzer are number 10's who can run around a bit and I've no idea what The Scottish Player is at this point.

Newcastle overpowered us and put in crunching tackles at every opportunity. You need to meet it and earn the chance to play. We don't.

Unread 03-04-2023, 12:37 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
have 3 aways on bounce then spurs at home when we play semi final .. lets see what the situation is like then
West Ham and Brentford away next for them. They’ll
Have a job winning both of those. They don’t do well with two games in a week.

If we can grind out a couple of wins this week, we’ll be right on track again with players to come back.

A shit run of form for us, but we’re still well placed and I think we’re a better side overall than both them
And Spurs.

Unread 03-04-2023, 01:13 PM
Stickman

Quote:
We’re playing out from the back because de Gea can’t £#%&!ing kick it with any sort of distance or accuracy consistently.
I’d still rather our attackers challenged for second balls than our defenders.

Unread 03-04-2023, 01:17 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

Quote:
Tbf, Guimaraes and Longstaff are much, much better midfielders than the 3 'midfielders' we had on the pitch.

Bruno and Sabitzer are number 10's who can run around a bit and I've no idea what The Scottish Player is at this point.

Newcastle overpowered us and put in crunching tackles at every opportunity. You need to meet it and earn the chance to play. We don't.
Yep. Really rate Guimaraes. Excellent player.

Unread 03-04-2023, 01:20 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic
Yep. Really rate Guimaraes. Excellent player.
A piece of scouting we would NEVER do.

Unread 03-04-2023, 01:28 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
A piece of scouting we would NEVER do.
What?

Unread 03-04-2023, 01:32 PM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
What?
He was a smart buy, especially at 40m. Couldn’t imagine our set up identifying that type of signing.

Unread 03-04-2023, 02:14 PM
jem

bruno fernandes cost £47mio. we'd never do that.

happy if we get palhinha for that.

Unread 03-04-2023, 02:44 PM
Tuco

Move on to the next game, I never want to see that Scottish clown in our team again. If Erik picks him Wednesday night it is very worrying, utter shitehouse of a player.

Unread 03-04-2023, 06:38 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:

I genuinely hate Gary Neville now. It's ok being impartial, no problem but he's always negative and snide when it comes to us. £#%&!ing £#%&!er he is.

Unread 03-04-2023, 06:47 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I genuinely hate Gary Neville now. It's ok being impartial, no problem but he's always negative and snide when it comes to us. £#%&!ing £#%&!er he is.
He was thoroughly enjoying himself yesterday on commentary.

Him and Martin Tyler sounded like they were sat there with black and white shirts on, practically egging newcastle on the whole game.

Unread 03-04-2023, 07:00 PM
believe

I’m starting to think Neville knows exactly what he’s doing. There’s no way he can believe half the things he says and does. Even his Instagram post advertising the game was a picture under a “howay the lads” sign.