United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-05-2023, 03:35 PM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
Last post on this from me to try and articulate what my original point was.

We had a terrible season last season, and we've now reverted to more or less the average of where we've been for 10 years. Clearly that's a season on season improvement.

But it's not that special and we saw the same thing under LVG, mourinho and ole. I haven't seen enough to be convinced that this is any different or that we will be any closer to City next season
But they’re two different things though. “Is this better than at any point during the last 10 years” is not the same question as “is this progress”.

Progress can only be judged on what’s gone immediately before you. And it is very clearly progress from that. You can talk about “reverting” which implies things would just have gone back to this level anyway. Football doesn’t work like that. When you’re shit, it’s very easy to get even shitter. Look at the first 2 games of the season. If he hadn’t turned things around we could have been in for an even worse time than last year. It’s happened to many clubs.

Is it guaranteed that progress is going to continue next year, and we’ll be even better? Course not. That remains to be seen. But I think the foundations are certainly there for us to continue improving.

Unread 15-05-2023, 03:42 PM
believe

A quick read through this first page should give you an idea of where I’m trying to come from

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showt...ght=Officially

Unread 15-05-2023, 03:50 PM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
A quick read through this first page should give you an idea of where I’m trying to come from

But isn't it possible that what was considered progress then is different to what is progress now? No-one is saying it's certain that we will continue to improve but I was heavily pro-Mou for a time and this feels like it has much more of a foundation than the previous progress.

Comparing what fans said five years ago to now seems a little strange, you may well be correct that there are similarities but why is that important? There will always be a section of fans who are optimistic, it's not even the same fans who were optimistic in 2018 that are optimistic now.

It may even be broadly correct to say that the progress now isn't hugely dismillar to previous progress, though I would argue that top 4 and a trophy or two is better than whatever came before, especially as we are still able to reach our previous high points total. But even discarding that, can you accept that the progress ETH has made has been in much tougher circumstances than we faced previously?

Unread 15-05-2023, 04:01 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:

Jesus, didn't remember Marlo being a Mou loyalist

You must recognise that posters, yes even on here, will have biases. And they'll interpret events through the prism of those biases?

Some will be mindless drones, who'll back any £#%&!er who's the manager as long as he remains the manager. The followers.

Some will dislike one manager or another, and will be completely unable or unwilling to apply a rational critique to that manager's tenure. The discontents.

Some will be like you and me, completely neutral with an almost god-like ability to assess events with complete objectivity. The omniscients.

Unread 15-05-2023, 04:05 PM
believe

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Jesus, didn't remember Marlo being a Mou loyalist

You must recognise that posters, yes even on here, will have biases. And they'll interpret events through the prism of those biases?

Some will be mindless drones, who'll back any £#%&!er who's the manager as long as he remains the manager. The followers.

Some will dislike one manager or another, and will be completely unable or unwilling to apply a rational critique to that manager's tenure. The discontents.

Some will be like you and me, completely neutral with an almost god-like ability to assess events with complete objectivity. The omniscients.

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo View Post
things haven't been perfect, but in two seasons we've gone from being the top 4 hopefuls to the 2nd best team in the league, we don't lose much at home which is a Mourinho sides signature. (2 in the last 2 years).

this is the progress needed.... we are now in a strong position going into the next season while most likely wining the fa cup.

so thats fa cup, europa league and league cup in two seasons and we are the only team in the league to beat every single side in the league this season.
Quote:
Unread 15-05-2023, 04:08 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Quote:
while most likely wining the fa cup.
Closed Thread