United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 26-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Chorlton74

Question Barcelona vs Man United 1994 (i think)

the one where we got battered 4-0 and had the black kit on without the Viewcam logo.

what was the team that night? i know schmikes and cantona were in the stands that.

ta

Unread 26-08-2008, 02:35 PM
SilverSurfer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chorlton74
the one where we got battered 4-0 and had the black kit on without the Viewcam logo.

what was the team that night? i know schmikes and cantona were in the stands that.

ta
Walsh

Parker Bruce Pallister Irwin

Kanchelskis Butt Keane Ince Giggs

Hughes

http://www.stretfordend.co.uk/seasons/season1995.html

Unread 26-08-2008, 02:54 PM
Ashley's Grime

Thanks for reminding of that- my first and last Euro away.

Unread 26-08-2008, 02:54 PM
believe

I thought May played at RB? I know he did against Gothenburg when Blomquvist ripped him apart.

Unread 26-08-2008, 03:29 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Walsh

Hughes

We often hear that the 94 team would have dominated Europe apart from the foreigner rule.

That is hardly a decimated team, Schmeichel and Cantona were huge yes, but that is 9 of the first choice 11, and they were humiliated. Butt was a kid and Walsh was average but they still should have acquitted themselves better Great domestic team but defensively naive and lacked any real squad depth .

If we lost to the likes of Gothenberg/Galatasary now with most of our best team there would be wide spread shock.

Unread 26-08-2008, 03:40 PM
RedMenace

Wasn't that the night Parker was man marking Romario and he got a hat trick? I was sure May was playing as well but perhaps not.

Unread 26-08-2008, 03:49 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Wasn't that the night Parker was man marking Romario and he got a hat trick? I was sure May was playing as well but perhaps not.
Parker was supposed to mark Romario in the OT Game. Bruce was left out to widespread shock at the time. Looking back, hardly a surprise, one of the great strikers off the last 20 years, against a very slow CB in Bruce. Romario still scored with one of his toe pokes, Bakero as well. Hughes and Sharpe with the back heel after superb play by Ince in a brilliant 2-2.

Somewhat scary how much pointless info you can remember.

Unread 26-08-2008, 03:58 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiberian
Parker was supposed to mark Romario in the OT Game. Bruce was left out to widespread shock at the time. Looking back, hardly a surprise, one of the great strikers off the last 20 years, against a very slow CB in Bruce. Romario still scored with one of his toe pokes, Bakero as well. Hughes and Sharpe with the back heel after superb play by Ince in a brilliant 2-2.

I had bronchitis/pnuemonia virus & was £#%&!ed, hadn't moved in days in my bed or eaten anything, was a state, Sharpey flicks in that back heel & I went ape-shit, amazing thing adrenaline & United

SilverSurfer

Quote:
We often hear that the 94 team would have dominated Europe apart from the foreigner rule.

That is hardly a decimated team, Schmeichel and Cantona were huge yes, but that is 9 of the first choice 11, and they were humiliated. Butt was a kid and Walsh was average but they still should have acquitted themselves better Great domestic team but defensively naive and lacked any real squad depth .

If we lost to the likes of Gothenberg/Galatasary now with most of our best team there would be wide spread shock.
Yeah, that's what surprised me tbh. I'd thought that we were vastly understrength too and I'd got a shock as I typed it. That team in Barca wasn't greatly different to the team that dominated domestically and yet, as you say, utterly outclassed. One of THE most significant matches in Fergie's reign, this one.

RedMenace

Quote:

Ah yeah, I remember that now. Sharpe's back heel was class, much imitated in school the next day!.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:00 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Walsh

Hughes

Is that right - it has five foreigners? Thought we were only allowed three at the time?

Tiberian - I agree about the '94 team. As good as it was, they were well behind the great Milan, Barca, Marseilles and (a year or two earlier) Red Star teams of the time. The CB's especially were very vulnerable to strikers with real pace.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Yeah, that's what surprised me tbh. I'd thought that we were vastly understrength too and I'd got a shock as I typed it. That team in Barca wasn't greatly different to the team that dominated domestically and yet, as you say, utterly outclassed. One of THE most significant matches in Fergie's reign, this one.
Outside the first team, Utd had an old Robson, McClair as both midfield and forward sub, Sharpe, May from 95, and then the Kids. The game has completely changed since the early mid 90's, a first team pool of only 15/16 would be shocking now.

Like when we bought Cole, Hughes had to go, no such thing as having 4/5 strikers, just the 2 and no rotation.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:08 PM
thatsfuctit

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:08 PM
fergieslovechild

My 2nd Euro away after the CWC in Rotterdam (Top Red) stood up in the gods it was like watching ants play. But even from there you could see Stoichkov and Romerio rip dolly and daisy new arseholes.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Chorlton74

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Is that right - it has five foreigners? Thought we were only allowed three at the time?

Tiberian - I agree about the '94 team. As good as it was, they were well behind the great Milan, Barca, Marseilles and (a year or two earlier) Red Star teams of the time. The CB's especially were very vulnerable to strikers with real pace.
i think Hughes and Giggs were classed as `assimilated` players. Kanchelskis, Irwin and Keane being the foreigners.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:14 PM
fergieslovechild

Quote:
i think Hughes and Giggs were classed as `assimilated` players. Kanchelskis, Irwin and Keane being the foreigners.
Yeah Giggs and Hughes were assimilated as they came through our youth system.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:16 PM
The Watcher

Thumbs up

Quote:
Of course. Cheers.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:17 PM
Tiberian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher

Pallister and Bruce were the major weak link, neither were international class let alone World class. Bruce especially was very limited, slow on the turn, very good against the long ball game in England but against the more sophisticated ball playing foreign teams he always looked uncomfortable.

Pallister was a lot classier, quick enough, good on the ball, struggled with injuries to the back, small nimble strikers troubled him.

Vidic and Ferdinand are 2 of the top 10 CB's in the World game, huge difference.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:21 PM
My Name is Keith

I went to it aswell.

Great couple of nights out in Barca but the match was £#%&!ing woeful.

Not sure if it was because I was really pissed, poor eyesight or just that it was very high up but my abiding memory was that my view had a 'Google Earth' property to it.

Can't actually remember seeing the dots that were players actually move about. Just kept hearing that Spanish type roar that you get whilst the goals flew in.

£#%&!ing bobbins match.

Unread 26-08-2008, 04:21 PM
The Watcher

Quote:
Pallister and Bruce were the major weak link, neither were international class let alone World class. Bruce especially was very limited, slow on the turn, very good against the long ball game in England but against the more sophisticated ball playing foreign teams he always looked uncomfortable.

Pallister was a lot classier, quick enough, good on the ball, struggled with injuries to the back, small nimble strikers troubled him.

Vidic and Ferdinand are 2 of the top 10 CB's in the World game, huge difference.
Can't argue with that assesment.

Our current back four are £#%&!ing outstanding. Rarely make mistakes, play long balls for fun and can put up with the best forwards in Europe. Not to mention the offensive capacity of our full backs.

Probably the first time one of Fergie's great teams has a truly world class defence behind them.
Closed Thread