United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 02-07-2017, 05:06 PM
gigi1744

Default George Best BBC2 9PM

Documentary tonight

"The story of the reserved young prodigy from Northern Ireland who became a global superstar. This is the feature-length documentary exploring the remarkable life of the footballer George Best"

Unread 02-07-2017, 05:24 PM
red in cumbria

Thumbs up

Cheers, intend to watch.

Unread 02-07-2017, 06:15 PM
Neo

Good player IMO.

Unread 02-07-2017, 07:00 PM
believe

Bled the club dry and should have spent his years in decline cleaning players boots.

Unread 02-07-2017, 07:09 PM
puressence

Big spoiler ...

Unread 02-07-2017, 09:21 PM
sub three hours

How come Northern Ireland were referred to as Ireland in the BBC commentaries during the home championships?

Unread 02-07-2017, 10:33 PM
beersexchipsgravy

Well that was depressing. Anyone fancy a pint?

Unread 02-07-2017, 10:39 PM
gigi1744

Was a tough watch mate , footballers now would be given every possible bit of help to deal with drink and depression etc , especially one with his talent. The American just club sacking him for getting drunk

Unread 02-07-2017, 11:14 PM
The taste of...

Greatest I've ever seen.

Not even sure Sir Farter could have kept him in check like he managed Giggs though

Unread 02-07-2017, 11:16 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub three hours
How come Northern Ireland were referred to as Ireland in the BBC commentaries during the home championships?
Their official name was still the "Irish Football Association" or similar?

Unread 03-07-2017, 09:03 AM
sub three hours

Quote:
Originally Posted by red in cumbria
Their official name was still the "Irish Football Association" or similar?

Thanks RIC, tremendous knowledge there by the way. I did try googling the answer, but to no avail.

I found it bizzare watching the footage of Besty playing in the home championships for Northern Ireland yet the team were called Ireland.

Surely the team in the south of the Island would also have been called Ireland too!

Also I can't imagine the Protestant, Unionist, pro British supporting Northern Irish would have been particularly pleased with having their team called Ireland would they?

Unread 03-07-2017, 09:46 AM
bobbledinho

Quote:
Thanks RIC, tremendous knowledge there by the way. I did try googling the answer, but to no avail.

I found it bizzare watching the footage of Besty playing in the home championships for Northern Ireland yet the team were called Ireland.

Surely the team in the south of the Island would also have been called Ireland too!

Also I can't imagine the Protestant, Unionist, pro British supporting Northern Irish would have been particularly pleased with having their team called Ireland would they?

Don't think it would have bothered anyone back then.

Unread 03-07-2017, 09:54 AM
Throw

Taped it and watched the middle bit. Seemed nothing new, same old footage and interviews from George, some new talking heads bits. Any new stuff at the end?

Unread 03-07-2017, 10:00 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throw
Taped it and watched the middle bit. Seemed nothing new, same old footage and interviews from George, some new talking heads bits. Any new stuff at the end?
thought it was a really good film tbh. told the story better than most previous films. they'd also spliced sections that you don't normally see togetber in previous efforts for licensing reasons or whatever and there was some stuff I'd never seen before - and I've seen a lot of best films!

Unread 03-07-2017, 10:01 AM
no fun

Quote:
Couple of united clips I've not seen before

Unread 03-07-2017, 10:17 AM
jem

Quote:
Seemed nothing new, same old footage and interviews from George

Unread 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Denis Irwell

Quote:

Don't know about official name but they were always referred to as Northern Ireland during home championships. But always remember reading Best saying something about "as an Irishman....." he was pleased about something he'd done . Can't remember what but he did say it.

Mid sixties. Not as divisive then - until it all kicked off a few years later.

Unread 03-07-2017, 10:28 AM
Mr_Ed

His wife at the time... "why didn't he choose not to have a drink that day. Simple" or words to that effect...

Unread 03-07-2017, 10:59 AM
Throw

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
Go on...

Unread 03-07-2017, 11:12 AM
jem

Quote:
Go on...
um.... he hasn't done any new interviews for a while?
Closed Thread