United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-03-2016, 11:11 AM
BarryX

I take the middle ground on this one and 100% want to see Giggs stay onboard in some capacity - certainly don't have an issue with him being Jose's number 2.

It's unfair to assume that just because he's been working 'under' an unsuccessful Van Gaal, that he'd definitely fail as a manager. However, it is also just that bit too soon to give him the keys to the top job, on a permanent basis (maybe if he was taking over a successful team I'd feel differently).

We need a proven winner at this stage to turn things around, a name that would attract the very best players in the world. Glory, glory and all that. And yes, tradition is and should always be part of our great club. Bring in Jose, get Ryan to stay on as number 2 and FFS BRING BACK SCHOLES as a coach.

Unread 15-03-2016, 12:30 PM
MJ Ramone

I said when Fergie retired it should be Mourinho (for obvious reasons)
or Giggs.

The fact we ended up with the 2 most boring managers to ever draw breath would be funny if it wasn't so £#%&!ing boring & shit.

I'd rather Giggsy have the job than suffer another second of Van Gaal tbh

Unread 15-03-2016, 01:37 PM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
it's pretty obvious that there is no magic wand...

If the main candidate is mourinho then he's just failed spectacularly at chelsea. the only argument is whether him winning the league last season is enough for you to ignore the mess he's left behind 6 months later...
Not on it's own, no. The countless other titles and two European Cups is though.

Unread 15-03-2016, 01:50 PM
Mr_Ed

I think Giggs has the managerial personality. Anyone who can bang his brothers missus wouldn't think twice about dropping anyone or showing any loyalty to players if they were having a Rooney.

Unread 15-03-2016, 01:59 PM
ScarFace

Quote:
as I say, it's nonsense to say you know giggs would fail, especially when the guy you say you know will succeed has just failed so spectacularly.

mentoring giggs and working towards a dream of the cco92 running United for the next generation is absolutely the right idea.

saying you shouldn't cus it might not work is short-sighted, weasly, weak-minded and pathetic. and if it's none of those then it is just incredibly bitter.
And if we all wanted Giggs,then you'd argue against it. talksport

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:00 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
I think Giggs has the managerial personality. Anyone who can bang his brothers missus wouldn't think twice about dropping anyone or showing any loyalty to players if they were having a Rooney.
Hitler would have made a brilliant manager.

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:00 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
And if we all wanted gigfs,then you'd argue against it. talksport
Tumescent talksport

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:08 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Ed
My major concern is not that he likes a bit of how's your father with the in-laws, but that he comes across as, well, a bit dull to say the least. He might have all the tactical nous in the world, but has he got what it takes to motivate the players? Or handle all those press conferences? £#%&! me, it would be a proper snooze fest. Hence why I think Scholes should get involved - he's properly come out of his shell recently and conveys that fire in his belly really rather well.

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:22 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryX
My major concern is not that he likes a bit of how's your father with the in-laws, but that he comes across as, well, a bit dull to say the least. He might have all the tactical nous in the world, but has he got what it takes to motivate the players? Or handle all those press conferences? £#%&! me, it would be a proper snooze fest. Hence why I think Scholes should get involved - he's properly come out of his shell recently and conveys that fire in his belly really rather well.
How about they go and manage somewhere else first and prove they've got something?

Say what you like about Neville - at least he's actually put balls on the line.

Time for Giggs to stop hiding behind Ferguson's apron. If he wants to manage Man United he should go and prove himself.

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:32 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by atticusgrinch
Time for Giggs to stop hiding behind Ferguson's apron. If he wants to manage Man United he should go and prove himself.
maybe he deliberately hasn't.
Maybe the (romantic) view is that he's the right man to just do it because of who he is.

We've seen so many ex-players 'prove themselves' by managing lower down the Leagues - Ince, Keane, Robbo, Bruce, Hughes, Ole etc.. - maybe if they'd gone straight in at United something might have clicked.

Not saying I necessarily subscribe to this, but the Club might.

It would be insanity to miss out on Mourinho this time around though.

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:35 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
Not on it's own, no. The countless other titles and two European Cups is though.
granted he's won stuff in the past, but in the last few seasons he's basically lost 2 dressing rooms and left real and chelsea in the shit...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
And if we all wanted gigfs,then you'd argue against it. talksport
it would be completely bizarre if 500 random people on the internet all had exactly the same opinion.

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:49 PM
Withers

Quote:
granted he's won stuff in the past, but in the last few seasons he's basically lost 2 dressing rooms and left real and chelsea in the shit...

it would be completely bizarre if 500 random people on the internet all had exactly the same opinion.
I think you can ignore Madrid. He is the only manager to ever have had the dressing room in the first place, their managers tend to be inconsequential to everything. The fact he did three years before being sacked is comparable to ten years at any other club.

Chelsea, I'm not sure anyone knows what really happened but as I say I think we can ignore that given everything else.

The reality is everyone has reasons you could use for not picking them. He is our best option atm imo.

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:57 PM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
I think you can ignore Madrid. He is the only manager to ever have had the dressing room in the first place, their managers tend to be inconsequential to everything. The fact he did three years before being sacked is comparable to ten years at any other club.

Chelsea, I'm not sure anyone knows what really happened but as I say I think we can ignore that given everything else.

The reality is everyone has reasons you could use for not picking them. He is our best option atm imo.
all fair, nqat. he's defo our best option for getting under guardiola's skin from the start, raising our own confidence and he could be a fantastic united manager if he was able to keep his shit together...

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:57 PM
believe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
It's a baffling and ridiculous point that people continue to make in regards to Giggs becoming manager. Nobody seems to mention the world-class team that Guardiola inherited with 3 of the best players in the world and probably football history at core of it.

The fact that Guardiola's greatest managerial achievement has already been equaled by his first full-time replacement in Luis Enrique should give you an idea of exactly how hard it was taking over modern day Barcelona.

Still, £#%&! it. Give the job to Giggs, why not, eh? What could possibly go wrong? It's bound to work because you know, Guardiola and that. Because that's exactly how football works. Just get a manager who used to play for your team and that's it, job's a good 'un. I'm sure a man who got Middlesbrough relegated with Ravanelli and Juninho up front knows exactly what it takes to be a successful football manager.
Err martial, Memphis and Lingard

Unread 15-03-2016, 02:58 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJ Ramone
maybe he deliberately hasn't.
Maybe the (romantic) view is that he's the right man to just do it because of who he is.

We've seen so many ex-players 'prove themselves' by managing lower down the Leagues - Ince, Keane, Robbo, Bruce, Hughes, Ole etc.. - maybe if they'd gone straight in at United something might have clicked.

Not saying I necessarily subscribe to this, but the Club might.

It would be insanity to miss out on Mourinho this time around though.

Unread 15-03-2016, 03:04 PM
Sparky***

Quote:

He's the last manager to win a league title at real madrid. His Madrid team scored over 120 goals and amassed 100 points while winning the title in 2012. Won 32 out of 38 games. Managed them for barely 3 years and won 2 trophies.

Basically he's won the league at every club he's ever managed except for União de Leiria who are now playing in the Portuguese 3rd division I believe, who he managed to get to 5th in the Portuguese Premier league.

Unread 15-03-2016, 03:05 PM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Tumescent talksport
ffs.

I like old Talksport, he plays devil's advocate with the best of them.

'No I don't'

Not now Talksport!

Unread 15-03-2016, 03:08 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by believe
Err martial, Memphis and Lingard
And Rooney.

Unread 15-03-2016, 03:09 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
ffs.

'No I don't'

Not now Talksport!

Unread 15-03-2016, 03:14 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cream
ffs.

'No I don't'

Not now Talksport!
"It's a lovely blue sky out today, isn't it talksport."

"Blue? You don't honestly think it's blue, do you? Deary me, you'll believe anything you see with your own two eyes backed up with actual evidence won't you?"
Closed Thread