United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:06 AM
tedster1999

Default Re: More outrage as SAF disgraces himself and league integrity

Whats the point of having 25 man squad?
SAF picks the best side for Man Utd match by match.In that instance , resting players for an upcoming European Cup final means playing fringe players
If I was Fergie, I'd put the reserves out and just say Rio, Vidic, Rooney etc were injured

3 match ban for Evra

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:08 AM
silv

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedster1999
Whats the point of having 25 man squad?
SAF picks the best side for Man Utd match by match.In that instance , resting players for an upcoming European Cup final means playing fringe players
If I was Fergie, I'd put the reserves out and just say Rio, Vidic, Rooney etc were injured

3 match ban for Evra
the tedster speaks sense

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:09 AM
DuanePipe

Guys who can bench the most in the gym sessions can determine 'strongest'.

In which case, the league's strongest left back is Big George.

I'd love to know how the FA could make a legal determination on 'strongest'. @#%&!s.

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:14 AM
ScholesScoresGoals2

Quote:
Originally Posted by no fun
after the strokes they've pulled this season, the FA can £#%&! off

if 19 is secured, my team would be ;

albert the kit man
martin edwards
#1 south stand sikh
#2 south stand sikh
little bloke with a tache sat in front of pepe guardiola v schalke
bebe
obertan
gedthemull
#3 south stand sikh
#4 south stand sikh
foe's corpse

and lets not forget some suit from the FA will be presenting the trophy

boo the @#%&!
Thought I might have got a look in over #4 sikh or Bebe

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:15 AM
Zorg

The point about 'squad' players wanting to play for a place in the final is spot on, Duane.

Of course, the FA haven't actually said anything and this is just yet another pile of shite article, but such piles of shite have often dictated FA policy this season.

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:16 AM
beansy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorg
What about bloke in pea costume? Never lets the side down, never complains when he's left out.
that was bebe

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Chorlton74

didn't get blackpool get nailed for this earlier in the season? made 11 changes to Villa away i think, and only lost 3-2 to a last minute goal. 20k fine and Holloway said he'd quit.

im sure holloway won't mind if fergie makes `wholesale` changes a week sunday.

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:51 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuanePipe
I don't see how a rule can be a good one if it's as ambiguous as this is.

'Strongest'. Who decides?

If the league's top scorer is benched for a game, there's an argument that the 'strongest' team is not fielded.

If a manager decides to make 6 changes because he thinks the players will be fresher, can he not argue that he felt that was his 'strongest' team for that specific fixture?

A rule should be explicit. This one isn't.
the spirit of the rule is obvious, and fully appropriate because football is 'traditionally' bent. maybe it needs updating a bit, but basically everyone from managers, players, fans right the way down to rent-a-quote £#%&!wits in the media knows the difference between on the one hand resting a few players for footballing reasons (like an upcoming cup final) and cherry-picking which matches to take seriously and which matches not to.

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:55 AM
Fartface

Didn't the FSW do the same one year and get roundly applauded for it?

Double standards @#%&!s, the press won't be happy until they have destroyed us.

Unread 11-05-2011, 11:57 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fartface
Didn't the FSW do the same one year and get roundly applauded for it?

Double standards @#%&!s, the press won't be happy until they have destroyed us.
Yeah against Fulham away, with 2 or 3 games to go, resulting in an easy Fulham win when they just happened to fighting relegation not a word said.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:04 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
the spirit of the rule is obvious, and fully appropriate because football is 'traditionally' bent. maybe it needs updating a bit, but basically everyone from managers, players, fans right the way down to rent-a-quote £#%&!wits in the media knows the difference between on the one hand resting a few players for footballing reasons (like an upcoming cup final) and cherry-picking which matches to take seriously and which matches not to.
You say that everyone knows the difference, and yes, I suppose they do in spirit, but how do you define it precisely? Is leaving top-scorer Berbatov on the bench and picking Owen not taking a match seriously? What if a manager wants to use a match to give a young player some experience for the future? Do you stop managers from making more than a set number of changes from match to match, according where their opposition is in the table and what cups they're still in?

You can't really define these things in concrete terms, which means you can't set out a framework for punishment. Unless the FA use their usual framework of 'take action when United are involved'.

So, that's why the rule has to be (and already is) that clubs name their 25-man squad, and for the rest of that season they can pick who the £#%&! they like from that squad. It's up to the manager to decide how and when to best use the 25 players, and if people don't like it it's tough shit.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:05 PM
borsuk

Thumbs up Re: More outrage as SAF disgraces himself and league integrity

no weakened side, eh?

i hope he puts out the same 11 as the cl final and instructs them not to make a single tackle and play at walking pace from the first minute, all the while waving merrily at the fa representatives and lifting their shirts to reveal t-shirts emblazoned with 'i'm forever blowing bubbles' every time blackpool score.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Fuzzy Dunlop

All a bit premature anyway, we're going to need to draw that game to win the league and I can't see SAF just going for a draw either.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:09 PM
dodger

This weakened side? Would that include the leagues top scorer? This seasons breakthrough defender? An aging but accomplished midfielder once courted by the worlds top clubs? 8 or 9 internationals? Blackpool will be looking forward to such an easy game.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:10 PM
borsuk

we should definitely play hargreaves. in nets ideally.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:13 PM
Zorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by borsuk
we should definitely play hargreaves. in nets ideally.
Or Bebe with Hargreaves on his shoulders, wearing a big overcoat and massive gloves.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:21 PM
jaffo

Quote:
Or Bebe with Hargreaves on his shoulders, wearing a big overcoat and massive gloves.
Like these?

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:21 PM
MJ Ramone

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
ILike Wolves a good bit back wasnt it? Whats the 'criteria' the fa base this on
The criteria is (just like every other form of FA disciplinary action) - 'We'll screw Manchester United because that'll make us popular with the Tabloid Press'

The only reason Wolves were fined is because they rested players against us.
The Papers & Talkshite kicked up a stink so the FA acted. The only shock was that we weren't docked the 3pts that we took in the game.

For a start, we haven't even got a point against Blackburn yet ffs. £#%&!ing abu Journo jumping the gun..trying to get Fergie in trouble before he's even THOUGHT about his team against Blackpool.

£#%&! 'em all.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:24 PM
dunk

Thumbs up Re: More outrage as SAF disgraces himself and league integrity

Quote:
You say that everyone knows the difference, and yes, I suppose they do in spirit, but how do you define it precisely? Is leaving top-scorer Berbatov on the bench and picking Owen not taking a match seriously? What if a manager wants to use a match to give a young player some experience for the future? Do you stop managers from making more than a set number of changes from match to match, according where their opposition is in the table and what cups they're still in?

You can't really define these things in concrete terms, which means you can't set out a framework for punishment. Unless the FA use their usual framework of 'take action when United are involved'.

So, that's why the rule has to be (and already is) that clubs name their 25-man squad, and for the rest of that season they can pick who the £#%&! they like from that squad. It's up to the manager to decide how and when to best use the 25 players, and if people don't like it it's tough shit.
This.

Unread 11-05-2011, 12:28 PM
andyroo

The reason Wolves were fined was because St. Arsene of the Wenger complained.
Closed Thread