Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2010, 12:07 AM
Liu Jian

Default Re: Anyway according to SAF midfield is not a problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
i did compare it

7 defeats isn't good enough, but it's been the constant maze of injuries that has hit us hard - players being forced to play on through fatigue because all the alternatives are unavailable has been a key aspect

the point is that we're 'traditionally' affected by post european blues, but unlike in previous seasons we haven't been able to cope. the stats bear this out:

10 european games played have been followed by 3 wins (one scrambled and one with 2 pens and some shit finishing by the home side at Portsmouth), 2 draws (0-0 the other day and a scrambled 2-2 v Sunderland), and 5 defeats, generally fully deserved
For me we lack of quality attacking options and this has hurt us...aswell as some shit performances in midfield.

What really pissed me off were the 5 defeats before Christmas and not a single goal scored in those games. The defensive injuries are only part of the problem - we were gutless at Turf Moor and Anfield.

Like you say, post European matches have hurt us - Chelsea seem to have been more resistant to this despite an apparently 'old' squad.

Unread 15-04-2010, 12:09 AM
dinger

Silva must be at least 25 now, hardly a youngster.

Unread 15-04-2010, 12:42 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liu Jian
For me we lack of quality attacking options and this has hurt us...aswell as some shit performances in midfield.

What really pissed me off were the 5 defeats before Christmas and not a single goal scored in those games. The defensive injuries are only part of the problem - we were gutless at Turf Moor and Anfield.

Like you say, post European matches have hurt us - Chelsea seem to have been more resistant to this despite an apparently 'old' squad.
no idea what chelsea's fitness and availablity of players has been post European games this season tbh. i only know that United's has been a problem.

our second highest scoring forward has 12 goals, which no doubt stacks up pretty well against most of our rivals

we don't have anyone in midfield who can match Lampard or Fabregas as far as goal return goes. but then we couldn't in any of the last 3 seasons either, and we won the league in each of those seasons. admittedly we had Ronaldo then, but discounting his goals our midfield has contributed an improved number of goals this time around compared to last season methinks.

people seem to want to question United's creativity and imagination. we play some great football, but imo a major area of the team's potential that has been most weakened this season - and which we often underestimate - is in goals from dead balls. how many goals have we scored from free-kicks? how many corners have we scored from? how many goals have our defenders scored? and how many of those were from set plays? pretty sure the ratio is well down on previous campaigns, and these goals are often crucial to unlocking tight games.

Unread 15-04-2010, 08:43 AM
Appletango

You're right about the set plays.

I can't remember Vidic, Evans or Rio scoring this season tbh. Our delivery is generally poor though, especially from corners.

Th other issue is goals from midfield. Valencia is our highest scoring midfielder with 5. The only sides in the league who's highest scoring midfielder has less than his are Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Sunderland, West Ham, Wigan and Wolves. All teams at the bottom of the league. I am not suggesting we are going to find a Lampard banging in 20 a season, however, we need someone who is going to get into double figures.

Chelsea have scored 40 goals from midfield, Arsenal 47(although 9 of them are from Arshavin who has operated upfront from time to time), We have 20 goals from midfield. That amount of goals is a massive difference. Even if you take out Lampard and Fabregas they have more scored more than us.

Unread 15-04-2010, 08:45 AM
Whalefish

I'd say we need a couple to be honest but do think, given a few more games, Gibson could be one of them.

Also think the wide players should be looking at 10/12 goals a season - certainly the first choice two (Nani and Valencia).

However for a central midfielder to be banging in double figures for a season I think we could do with altering the tactics slightly. Move away from being passive (and overly) patient in our central play, playing right to left (and back again) too often, and sitting too deep to even have a good strike on goal or make a run into the box.

Finally, and I keep going on about this, the final ball needs to improve considerably. Utd have got behind defences a fair bit this season but too often the cross in, or pass, has been poor or the wrong option chosen.

Unread 15-04-2010, 08:48 AM
SNAFU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Appletango
You're right about the set plays.

I can't remember Vidic, Evans or Rio scoring this season tbh. Our delivery is generally poor though, especially from corners.

Th other issue is goals from midfield. Valencia is our highest scoring midfielder with 5. The only sides in the league who's highest scoring midfielder has less than his are Burnley, Pompey, Stoke, Sunderland, West Ham, Wigan and Wolves. All teams at the bottom of the league. I am not suggesting we are going to find a Lampard banging in 20 a season, however, we need someone who is going to get into double figures.

Chelsea have scored 40 goals from midfield, Arsenal 47(although 9 of them are from Arshavin who has operated upfront from time to time), We have 20 goals from midfield. That amount of goals is a massive difference. Even if you take out Lampard and Fabregas they have more scored more than us.
well..SAF is glad we have gibson

Unread 15-04-2010, 08:53 AM
Whalefish

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAFU
well..SAF is glad we have gibson
As one of the midfielders in a three man midfield he will do just fine IMO.

Unread 15-04-2010, 10:09 AM
Liu Jian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whalefish
As one of the midfielders in a three man midfield he will do just fine IMO.
In other news, it looks like City are signing that kid Boateng. Presumably he's better than his brother:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/foo...e-Boateng.html
Closed Thread