United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 06-03-2023, 11:07 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
Over it already.

Roll on Thursday.
This...

Absolute freak result. Utterly disgusting performance, but an outlier in terms of the season as a whole. Providing it's learned from - and there's nothing to suggest it won't be given the response after other shitty results this season - I don't think i'll be panicking and calling for the managers head just yet

The title was always a bit of a pipe dream. If we end up 2nd/3rd come the end of the season and with a trophy or two anyone would have taken that in the summer.

Have we seen progress? Obviously yes. Knee jerk reactions aren't helpful.

Move on.

Unread 06-03-2023, 11:09 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
No it's not. It'll be there in the record books but carved in skin? .

Maybe you're right. Maybe if we end the season in top 4, ahead of Liverpool with a couple of cups in the bag, the only part of the season I will remember forever is this result.

Maybe.
It’s an expression.

I’m not saying it’s the only thing that will be remembered. In fact, I’ve specifically said I don’t think it will change the trajectory of the season. In isolation, it will be remembered.

Quote:
No it's not. It'll be there in the record books but carved in skin? .

Maybe you're right. Maybe if we end the season in top 4, ahead of Liverpool with a couple of cups in the bag, the only part of the season I will remember forever is this result.

Maybe.

Poor lad's been going crazy with the run of results we've had. Now he's talking about the 7-0 being a "trend"

How's Dasilva doing? Anyone checked?
Ah, so now we’re just being disingenuous across the board. Cool.

Plenty of positivity around this season. Not much I can do if only the negative stuff is engaged with.

Unread 06-03-2023, 11:34 AM
Sparky***

Yeah that last 25-30 minutes will go down as the most bizarre i've seen in football. It was like when you used to play FIFA and the scripting kicked in suddenly you'd concede goals out of nothing while your defenders just did inexplicably ridiculous things.

I honestly thought the days of us witnessing these ridiculous 45 minute collapses was behind us but obviously i was wrong, they've still got it in there. The lack of leadership on the pitch for United was the most glaringly obvious thing and i don't think Ten Hag will appreciate his captain having what amounted to a hysterical tantrum for the last 20 mins where he brought nothing but petulance to the table.

I think the complete lack of game management away from home and inability to stop a game sliding into a farce is something we've had for a long time and it's going to take more than 6 months and couple of bargain january loans to sort out. I think what summed up our utter brainless approach to the game for me was in the 90th minute sending up everyone for a free kick whilst 7-0 down, putting in yet another dogshit cross only for Liverpool to break (yet again) and almost bag an 8th. Seriously lads.

Urgh what an utterly abhorrent end to a week where we've been on such a high.

Unread 06-03-2023, 11:39 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
The lack of leadership on the pitch for United was the most glaringly obvious thing and i don't think Ten Hag will appreciate his captain having what amounted to a hysterical tantrum for the last 20 mins where he brought nothing but petulance to the table.
This, by far for me, was the biggest take away from yesterday.

Usually Bruno's heart on his sleeve approach pays dividends. But yesterday was the very worst environment to have that.

The problem is i'm not sure who else is captain material. Both Casemiro and Martinez, the 2 names that immediately come to mind, were not good yesterday.

Surely Casemiro though with his experience is the only choice? Are there any up and coming Roy Keane type players out there to buy? And don't say Declan Rice.

Unread 06-03-2023, 11:39 AM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparky***
Yeah that last 25-30 minutes will go down as the most bizarre i've seen in football. It was like when you used to play FIFA and the scripting kicked in suddenly you'd concede goals out of nothing while your defenders just did inexplicably ridiculous things.

I honestly thought the days of us witnessing these ridiculous 45 minute collapses was behind us but obviously i was wrong, they've still got it in there. The lack of leadership on the pitch for United was the most glaringly obvious thing and i don't think Ten Hag will appreciate his captain having what amounted to a hysterical tantrum for the last 20 mins where he brought nothing but petulance to the table.

I think the complete lack of game management away from home and inability to stop a game sliding into a farce is something we've had for a long time and it's going to take more than 6 months and couple of bargain january loans to sort out. I think what summed up our utter brainless approach to the game for me was in the 90th minute sending up everyone for a free kick whilst 7-0 down, putting in yet another dogshit cross only for Liverpool to break (yet again) and almost bag an 8th. Seriously lads.

Urgh what an utterly abhorrent end to a week where we've been on such a high.

It’s bizarre that it’s come at the end of this week. This whole spell. Through in the Europa. Winning a trophy a week ago. Last minute win in midweek and then THAT.

An anomaly in the context of recent games, yet less so in the context of long-standing issues (as you’ve mentioned above)

A bizarre and horrendous game.

Regardless of what it means for the rest of the season, the next game can’t come quickly enough. I hope the players feel the same way*

*called into training early this morning, apparently.

Unread 06-03-2023, 11:45 AM
AK14

It was a complete freak

The prime example of one team shitting the bed with the explosive diarrhoea and the other having every single bounce and hit of good fortune.

Pretty sure a few goals were from treble and quadruple deflections ffs.

Results like this have happened before (villa v Liverpool, us and city, us and arsenal a couple of times). But this one was utterly bizarre.

Burn the thread and move on and imo.

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:37 PM
magic_cantona

First goal was Dalot totally going MIA, second and third were schoolboy, scabby goals. Then, we gave up - that's the hardest thing to take. But, if it's just a smack in the face which wakes us up and we progress, £#%&! it.

If it impacts the rest of the season.....

The biggest problem we have is having no genuine centre forward. We're hamstrung every game but we normally get by. £#%&!ing Martial. I can't wait til Osimhen or someone else who has the balls for a fight and wants to be number one comes in. £#%&!ing shambles.

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:38 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
It’s an expression.

I’m not saying it’s the only thing that will be remembered. In fact, I’ve specifically said I don’t think it will change the trajectory of the season. In isolation, it will be remembered.

Ah, so now we’re just being disingenuous across the board. Cool.

Plenty of positivity around this season. Not much I can do if only the negative stuff is engaged with.
I'm not being disingenuous

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:39 PM
Baron

Honestly can't recall a game like that, ever, 8 shots ffs & 7 go in - the margins at the top are small but I put this in the same statistical bracket as our home draws in the cups - the odds on that run is given as 1024/1, it's improbable but it happens.

Same as yesterday. Improbable, close to impossible. But it happened, brutally happened.

I believe in ETH & this side, they'll bounce back. I'm not sure if he will dish out some proper slaps & drop a couple or trust them to make it right. Either way, I think we'll be alright.

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:45 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
I'm not being disingenuous
Ah right. So, you’ve simply misunderstood then. Gotcha 👍

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:46 PM
WackTheJack99

It's a one in a generation kicking and no mistake, this will smart for a long long time, but it's 3 points. We got smashed 5-0 and 6-3 away at Newcastle in quick succession and then I think Chelsea did us at home back in 96/97 but we steadied the ship, won silverware and set the tone for future seasons, including the treble 2 years later. This all hinges on whether we have the mental strength to keep our progression going and how ETH deals with the aftermath. I think we'll be fine, especially if we can get rid of the Glazers sharpish.

I didn't get too down when the Geordies and Saints smashed us all over the park and I won't now. That season ended with them winning £#%&! all and us winning a trophy. The same is very likely to happen with the scousers this season. Move on and learn from it.

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:52 PM
jem

we can only hope it gets a reaction and 10h lays down the law.

it's more likely to have a lasting effect on liverpool. too much to hope that bournemouth beat them and bring them straight back down to earth. the worst thing that could happen is for real madrid to play like we did in the second half.

Unread 06-03-2023, 12:59 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
we can only hope it gets a reaction and 10h lays down the law.

it's more likely to have a lasting effect on liverpool. too much to hope that bournemouth beat them and bring them straight back down to earth. the worst thing that could happen is for real madrid to play like we did in the second half.
Surely …. SURELY not….

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:07 PM
Lodestar

One other observation but the last few games its been getting crazy emotional after the games. Fair enough some big results after lean times, but remember Brazil in 2014? Meltdown against Germany.

Bruno's emotional outbursts also returned.

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:21 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stranger
Ah right. So, you’ve simply misunderstood then. Gotcha 👍
No, i understood perfectly. You wrote that it was a trend rather than a freak result. Not than complicated.

You even provided data

Which part do you assume I misunderstood?

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:26 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
No, i understood perfectly. You wrote that it was a trend rather than a freak result. Not than complicated.

You even provided data

You said I said that 7-0 is a trend. I didn’t say that.

I said that our falling apart in halves of football is a trend.

The difference being that saying that I said losing 7-0 is a trend backs up an argument of overreaction.

It’s not that complicated, no. Which is why I suggested you were being disingenuous, because it was unlikely you wouldn’t misunderstand the difference, but apparently not.

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:26 PM
NedKelly

Quote:

You even provided data

If anything we’ve actually kept our heads more often than not this season - look at the Barca game literally less than two weeks ago. This time last year we’d have capitulated from that moment on. We’ve done it several times this season, but apparently that’s not a trend.

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:29 PM
est.1878

Proposal : thread starter perma banned from match thread starting.

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:30 PM
Dr Stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
If anything we’ve actually kept our heads more often than not this season - look at the Barca game literally less than two weeks ago. This time last year we’d have capitulated from that moment on. We’ve done it several times this season, but apparently that’s not a trend.
That’s a trend too. One we’ve been praised for and one that we’ve pointed out. We can talk about that too on the times I or others bring it up, but those times don’t really get mentioned.

Unread 06-03-2023, 01:33 PM
Ethers

Falling apart in halves of football is a trend?! What?