United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Manchester United Match Thread Archive

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:26 AM
Coracao

It's almost like some of these signings will give us different options and we won't pick the same 11 every week.

If Amrabat comes in, he will play plenty of games alongside Casemiro. We tend to have a gaping hole in our midfield away from home against anyone decent.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:29 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patty_b
We probably won't have a first eleven next year, it's going to have to be a squad effort. No-one here is going to turn down another midfielder if we can get one, we've needed about 3 of them for a few years now. That includes someone like Mount and someone like Amrabat, rather than either/or.

And I have no issues with attacking players at Man United. I don't remember "DEFEND! DEFEND! DEFEND DEFEND DEFEND!' echoing around Old Trafford at any point.
I don't have a problem with buying mount, although he was expensive and unnecessary, provided we get the other players too. my response to mount is just meh. I hope he is better than anything I've ever seen from him, but it seems unlikely. I'm not even impressed with his pressing.

squad effort, eh? thanks for the insight.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:29 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
It's almost like some of these signings will give us different options and we won't pick the same 11 every week.

If Amrabat comes in, he will play plenty of games alongside Casemiro. We tend to have a gaping hole in our midfield away from home against anyone decent.
You’d think, but the manager seemed very reluctant to play Fred or McT alongside Cas last season, or even Sabitzer, when it was clear Eriksen was £#%&!ed. Granted that may have been down to the quality of his options, but he seemed to steadfastly stick with Eriksen alongside Bruno whenever he was available.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:30 AM
jem

Quote:
uh-oh.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:31 AM
pedr0

definitely a squad game and we will need 15-16 reliable options.

but if we're in a major cup final next season, and everyone is fit, and we've signed Amrabat, I think we would start:

onana, AWB, Shaw, varane, Martinez, casemiro, Amrabat, Bruno, mount, rashford, garnacho

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:33 AM
Coracao

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
You’d think, but the manager seemed very reluctant to play Fred or McT alongside Cas last season, or even Sabitzer, when it was clear Eriksen was £#%&!ed. Granted that may have been down to the quality of his options, but he seemed to steadfastly stick with Eriksen alongside Bruno whenever he was available.
They are both useless and better in an attacking phase anyway.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:34 AM
dunk

Quote:
They are both useless and better in an attacking phase anyway.
Fair.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:37 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pedr0
definitely a squad game and we will need 15-16 reliable options.

but if we're in a major cup final next season, and everyone is fit, and we've signed Amrabat, I think we would start:

onana, AWB, Shaw, varane, Martinez, casemiro, Amrabat, Bruno, mount, rashford, garnacho
no rasmus?

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:39 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I don't have a problem with buying mount, although he was expensive and unnecessary, provided we get the other players too. my response to mount is just meh. I hope he is better than anything I've ever seen from him, but it seems unlikely. I'm not even impressed with his pressing.

He wasn't though.

You think Mount is unnecessary because we have loads of attacking players already, never mind that not all them play through the middle, some can barely move and some are wingers rather than midfielders.

By your logic Amrabat is unnecessary as well, because we have defensive players like Fred, The Scottish Player, Casemiro, Lindelof, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Dalot, AWB and Malacia. Amrabat would just be an unnecessary waste of money with that many defensive options available.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:43 AM
jem

Quote:
He wasn't though.

You think Mount is unnecessary because we have loads of attacking players already, never mind that not all them play through the middle, some can barely move and some are wingers rather than midfielders.

By your logic Amrabat is unnecessary as well, because we have defensive players like Fred, The Scottish Player, Casemiro, Lindelof, Varane, Maguire, Shaw, Dalot, AWB and Malacia. Amrabat would just be an unnecessary waste of money with that many defensive options available.
I think mount is unnecessary because he's not significantly better than some of the other options.

if you think amrabat isn't better than the options to play alongside cass, you haven't seen him play. and the slot next to cass has been a longstanding problem, unlike the attacking midfield. at the moment, we have only the prospect of mainoo.

I'd like palhinha as well. I expect 10h would, too, if he were available at a sensible price. which he isn't.

Unread 07-08-2023, 10:47 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem
I think mount is unnecessary because he's not significantly better than some of the other options.

if you think amrabat isn't better than the options to play alongside cass, you haven't seen him play. and the slot next to cass has been a longstanding problem, unlike the attacking midfield. at the moment, we have only the prospect of mainoo.
What other options? Bruno and... If you want to rely on Erikson, even as backup for the majority of the season then we're £#%&!ed. And whenever Erikson was missing from the team last season where he would've been starting alongside Bruno we looked worse. Just Mount or just Amrabat probably wouldn't be enough either way, ideally we need both while offloading as much crap as we can at the same time.

Unread 07-08-2023, 11:03 AM
jem

Quote:
What other options? Bruno and... If you want to rely on Erikson, even as backup for the majority of the season then we're £#%&!ed. And whenever Erikson was missing from the team last season where he would've been starting alongside Bruno we looked worse. Just Mount or just Amrabat probably wouldn't be enough either way, ideally we need both while offloading as much crap as we can at the same time.
we wouldn't be having this conversation if we'd bought bellingham.

we bought mount.

Unread 07-08-2023, 11:11 AM
Patty_b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

we bought mount.
No argument here! Think he was pretty set on Madrid though. Harsh on any midfielder to compare them with Bellingham though.

Unread 07-08-2023, 11:35 AM
Whip Hubley

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

we bought mount.
yeah and only if we'd bought mbappe instead of Hojlund eh

Unread 07-08-2023, 11:36 AM
Ethers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jem

“I don’t have a problem with buying Mount, but I’ve just spent the last month whingeing about it and pointing out how unnecessary it was at the slightest opportunity”

Ok pal.

Unread 07-08-2023, 12:00 PM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whip Hubley
yeah and only if we'd bought mbappe instead of Hojlund eh
hojlund is not a meh signing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
“I don’t have a problem with buying Mount, but I’ve just spent the last month whingeing about it and pointing out how unnecessary it was at the slightest opportunity”

Ok pal.
I have responded to some stupid comments. as I have done again, here.

incidentally...

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=19

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...1&postcount=24

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...0&postcount=40

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=43

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...6&postcount=64

https://www.utdforum.com/forum/showp...&postcount=132

etc.