United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 19-08-2014, 03:15 AM
RedMenace

Default Smalling and Jones

Was just reading the latest UWS and according to them LVG was happy enough to £#%&! one of them off to Arsenal to get Vermaelen, they mention Jones in particular, but the players didn't want to go. Very strange given our lack of defenders.

Unread 19-08-2014, 03:35 AM
Stickman

Jones going in the other direction would have been questionable in order to attain Vermaleans services.

Smalling though...

I don't think any of the 3 players in question are top quality anyway so it's all swings and mehs from me.

Unread 19-08-2014, 03:42 AM
Clarkie

Jones and Smalling are very overrated IMO.

I loved Smalling but, for whatever reason, he hasn't really kicked on. Especially after the way he seemed to be developing.

Jones....Meh.

Unread 19-08-2014, 06:42 AM
teflon_terry

Alas Smalling and Jones.

Unread 19-08-2014, 06:44 AM
vangaalsbigballs

They were bought just because they were english. :shakehead: :shakehead:

People sneering at us paying 16m for a player who started for a team in World cup final but who were giddy when we paid 17m for a player from relegated club

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:22 AM
ryanMUFC

I don't know anyone that rates them highly apart from the odd match going goon who probably think fletchers united quality. Their athletic ability can't compensate for their footballing talent. Blackett looks more comfortable than both of them.

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:27 AM
ZiggyStardust

Jones has the potential to develop into a top class centre half however Smalling just doesn't have the footballing ability to be any better than he is now

Can't see Smalling at Utd next season as his complete fear of the ball when it is at his feet is not something LvG will tolerate in a centre half in his team

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:45 AM
Tumescent Throb

it was bad enough when smalling was first reserve

not only is he a shit-out, he's also likely to knock off at any moment

good with the game in front of him and that's about it - positionally just not good enough, technically average, wears blinkers; just a terrible player

and to think, the big joke last season was moyes citing jagielka to try and teach this @#%&! the basics

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:49 AM
barca99

Jones has better potential (obviously) and has done ok in parts when he has an experienced head next to him. The two of them together is a £#%&!ing disaster

Never thought id say this, we need evans back asap!

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedMenace
Was just reading the latest UWS and according to them LVG was happy enough to £#%&! one of them off to Arsenal to get Vermaelen, they mention Jones in particular, but the players didn't want to go. Very strange given our lack of defenders.
If there's any truth whatsoever to that story, Jones and Smalling are both on their way out of the club at some point.

Also begs the question: why didn't it happen?

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Baron

Obviously they need a season of actually playing regularly. I don't know any young player that really progresses from a bit part involvement.

If they play & aren't good enough, £#%&! 'em off. If they play & get confidence, more nous & leadership qualities then great. Evans was a different player after a long run in the side, he's still fragile which doesn't help but mentally & physically he was a world apart from the kid who got beasted by Carlton Cole at West Ham away.

I'd still rather Hummels of course.

Unread 19-08-2014, 09:59 AM
Luffy

I think both can become good players, still very young really, lots of development to be done. Bear in mind they've never had a top midfield protecting them.

Smalling is clearly a form and confidence player. He has stints where he looked good on the ball as right back but I'd say his confidence has been low 90% of his time here. He needs to be more assured, has more technique than say a Wes brown but panics. May never blossom into a world class first choice cos of it.

Jones needs to mature and get some calmness and composure and he'll be good. Too much headless chicken but that's quite typical of CBs his age.

Be good to see them both used as CBs exclusively for awhile.

I still believe!

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:03 AM
The Watcher

@#%&!ing Jones around at full back and midfield in the last three seasons hasn't done him any favours.

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:10 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
@#%&!ing Jones around at full back and midfield in the last three seasons hasn't done him any favours.

That seems the general consensus . Il give him this season as a dedicated defender before I'll make my decision. Not seen it so far but fingers crossed.

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:11 AM
That Boy Ronaldo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
Did on Saturday.

All over the place first half.

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:19 AM
The Watcher

Quote:
Originally Posted by That Boy Ronaldo!
Did on Saturday.

All over the place first half.
That was kind of my point pal. His almost complete lack of development since arriving is down to awful management. Should’ve spent the last three years being groomed to take one of the centre back spots (Rio’s in all likelihood). Instead he’s as inexperienced in the role now as he was when he joined.

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:21 AM
DakotaFredsBigShoe

With a world class cb, they would obviously benefit be partnered, together they seem a liability.

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:24 AM
ZiggyStardust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy
I think both can become good players, still very young really, lots of development to be done. Bear in mind they've never had a top midfield protecting them.

Smalling is clearly a form and confidence player. He has stints where he looked good on the ball as right back but I'd say his confidence has been low 90% of his time here. He needs to be more assured, has more technique than say a Wes brown but panics. May never blossom into a world class first choice cos of it.

Jones needs to mature and get some calmness and composure and he'll be good. Too much headless chicken but that's quite typical of CBs his age.

I still believe!
Bullshit

Wes Brown is a much better footballer than Smalling

Unread 19-08-2014, 10:25 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luffy

I still believe!
agreed

Unread 19-08-2014, 02:03 PM
ScarFace

we need to £#%&! off buying english players, they are all shit.
Closed Thread