United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Everything else > Science & Technology

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:04 PM
BarryX

Question Critical security alert via Google

Has anybody ever had one of these?

Got one today, from the middle of last night, saying that someone with my password had been blocked from entering the account as it looked suspicious. That password is very strong and not one I've shared with anybody. Am also internet savvy enough to have not clicked through on a phishing link, etc, and changed it last year. Obviously have now changed all my passwords, but am perplexed at how anybody could have possibly known what it was, outside of being professional ly hacked via a keylogger or something.

If any of Fredville has ever got a similar message, especially in the last night please let me know, otherwise allow this thread to sink to the bottom. X

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:06 PM
Albert Tatlock

Did it show your password in the alert ?

I'd suspect a phishing attempt

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:09 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Tatlock
Did it show your password in the alert ?

I'd suspect a phishing attempt
No, it didn't. I checked the actual email address (not just what was written for the sender) and also sent screen shots to my best man who worked for a decade at Google. Then, rather than follow the link provided on the email, just to be extra safe, I went to the Google security centre via my web browser. It was someone in Cashmere WA, USA. The fucker actually had my password. I'll post a screenshot.

(edit: just saw that there a number of people were mistakingly sent out a 'new device' log in attempt, last night, but the wording in mine was different and I have a specific IP address. Guessing it's related, but, as bizarre and fucked up as these last few months have been, I was researching the phone hacking scandal just a few hours earlier - my face was all )

Last edited by BarryX; 21-05-2019 at 07:24 PM.

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:24 PM
red in cumbria

Had one about 18 months ago, changed my Google password(s) as a precaution.

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:24 PM
TreeFiddy

Did you use the same password for another online account? If so, it probably got hacked there and used on your gmail.

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:29 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by TreeFiddy
Did you use the same password for another online account? If so, it probably got hacked there and used on your gmail.
I have one for my email accys that I change regularly, and another for other things. The one I use for Fred is unique to here, before the powers that be try and empty my overdraft ridden bank accounts

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:32 PM
red in cumbria

I've got a unique password for Fred as well, the same one I used for the internal mail account in my postgrad course back in 1991

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:38 PM
ScarFace

Do you have 2step? thats a must.

Either via Text or Google Authenticator.

Unread 21-05-2019, 07:47 PM
BarryX

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarFace
Do you have 2step? thats a must.

Either via Text or Google Authenticator.
Just switched to it.

Reading about all the hacking that went on, and hearing directly from someone who told me how easy it was to get files stored on your phone, with a remote device that bypasses a need for a pin code, has been a real eye opener. #staysafefredsters

Last edited by BarryX; 21-05-2019 at 07:50 PM.

Unread 22-05-2019, 08:02 AM
Patty_b

Happened to me last year, same warning and the attempt was (apparently) made in America as well.

It may not mean your password has been compromised, it may just be someone trying to brute force their way in.

A good way of seeing if your password has been compromised is by checking it on haveibeenpwned.com (Sorry, I can't yet insert a proper link).

It basically checks your password and email against any big hacking dumps. Feel free to research the site before using it for obvious reasons, but it is legit, and encrypts any password you enter better than the vast majority of websites you enter passwords on.

It is probably best to change your password regardless just to be safe.