United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:42 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Withers
It's an average marlo, you do know what an average is don't you?

Or are you suggesting that there will be a rush of goals in everybodies last 7 games which is going to push the average up, in which case congratulations on your ability to see into the future and post this thread two months early just for our enjoyment.
just think its misleading as the others are for full seasons and one is for 31 games.

you have to compare like with like. but then your lack of profession/further education might have you think its ok to compare a stat from 38 games to one of 31.
i dont blame you.

its also worth nothing i mentions the games yesterday? were champions league goals factored into your stat?

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Horst_ Bucholst

sorry just because a team has cottoned on that to win games away from home you have to commit more than one player beyond the halfway line doesn't mean theres a football revolution on the way.
it no different from any other prem league season

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:48 PM
Withers

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlo
just think its misleading as the others are for full seasons and one is for 31 games.

you have to compare like with like. but then your lack of profession/further education might have you think its ok to compare a stat from 38 games to one of 31.
i dont blame you.

its also worth nothing i mentions the games yesterday? were champions league goals factored into your stat?
You are one step away from claiming you don't have a bank account.

Have some pride and admit you made a mistake, it's not even a big or important one.

I will really hate myself if you make me go and work them out after 31 games.

Further education?

I remember when you had to actually qualify for a proper University that only offered proper degrees.

Now any old poly will offer you a degree and in any old %@#$&!s.

Which university did you go to marlo?

Threw away all my old university notes last weekend, they were cluttering up the loft. A sad day.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:51 PM
marlo

Quote:
You are one step away from claiming you don't have a bank account.

Have some pride and admit you made a mistake, it's not even a big or important one.

I will really hate myself if you make me go and work them out after 31 games.

Further education?

I remember when you had to actually qualify for a proper University that only offered proper degrees.

Now any old poly will offer you a degree and in any old %@#$&!s.

Which university did you go to marlo?

Threw away all my old university notes last weekend, they were cluttering up the loft. A sad day.
im not wrong at all.

i didnt specifically say in the league.
if you look i used liverpools results against chelsea , us and real madrid. that would indicate the league and the europe.
for you to just list a inaccurate stat from just the league would be wrong.

i didnt go to university. ive said that before. in proper professions a degree isnt what is needed.

Unread 15-04-2009, 12:58 PM
Withers

Quote:
im not wrong at all.

if you look i used liverpools results against chelsea , us and real madrid. that would indicate the league and the europe.

i didnt go to university. ive said that before. in proper professions a degree isnt what is needed.
Factor in the cups and the Champions league if you want. To get the average to the same level it was in previous years each team will have to average 3 goals more in a cup game than they did in previous season. That's three more per game not three in total. Feel free to do it. Until then we all know you are wrong.

A degree isn't what is needed?

My Dad didn't own an accountancy firm who got me a job in one who then paid for my exams so unfortunately for me a degree was needed.

You seem to be on the right track now though thanks to the chances you have had. You do seem to be making the best of them so well done.

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Billy Baroo

Quote:
im not wrong at all.

so an average across 31 games is not empirical yet observations across a select handful of games is proof positive

what do accounts do now? have a look at one invoice and base the whole annual company accounts on what they reckon this will tell them?

Tumescent Throb

Quote:
what about torres' brilliance in chasing down the ball, forcing the error and his clinical finishing from the half chance?
Vidic let the ball bounce. Torres held back and waited before harrying him, which was good alertness. But the fact is Vidic £#%&!ed that up all by himself.

Quote:
its not just yesterdays game

liverpool are scoring more goals...(4 against us, 6 against madrid) and also chelsea are scoring more goals and conceeding more as a result of it.

the usually defensive teams are coming out and playing as displayed in the game yesterday and a week ago.
Liverpool have scored a few goals, especially against Real, that boosted their confidence. They then got 4 albeit scabby goals against United that boosted their bravado off the scale. They have tried to attack teams off the back of this new hype and reputation ever since, and along with some brilliant finishes, a string of direct plays have found their way into the net. You can't fault them, true enough. But at the same time they played Chelsea twice and Chelsea scored 7 (seven) goals going on 17 (seventeen) in just 1 and a half matches. Benitez can't handle two competitons at the same time. And he can't keep the back door shut when playing his current brand of slightly more attacking football. Liverpool's next game is at home after a weeks' rest, which is a pity. No doubt the hype will continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunk
It could be that Chelsea and Liverpool are being forced to attack as their previously sturdy defences have come unstuck and they have been left with no option, I suppose.

At OT they had 5 shots, scored 4 times from about 36% possession, that is not free flowing attacking football no matter how you look at it.

In the Bernabeau, they got into the Madrid penalty area twice. That is not free flowing attacking football.

At Anfield they are capable of blowing teams away, if they get an early goal and the odd dodgy penalty, as they often do. But the football is always as direct as possible with as little commitment of players forward as possible. That is not free flowing attacking football.

Sorry, but if anything, football is stifling itself more and more, and the occasional game involving injury hit and shattered teams doesn't change this.
aye

Quote:
were we deserved our win against arsenal last season at ot?
yes, we won a brilliant game of football, the best game I saw at OT last season.

marlo

Quote:
Factor in the cups and the Champions league if you want. To get the average to the same level it was in previous years each team will have to average 3 goals more in a cup game than they did in previous season. That's three more per game not three in total. Feel free to do it. Until then we all know you are wrong.

erm...the emphasis is on you to provide me with stats that disagree with my claim. you posted incorrect stats that left our 50% of the data that should be analysed (champions league goals scored) so i cant see how im wrong atm.

Quote:
A degree isn't what is needed?

nope. not needed at all.

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:03 PM
shenwen

Quote:

i dont blame you.

marlo: average. think about it. I thought you worked with numbers? Or is that marlo not on today.

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:05 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
so an average across 31 games is not empirical yet observations across a select handful of games is proof positive

what do accounts do now? have a look at one invoice and base the whole annual company accounts on what they reckon this will tell them?
chelsea liverpool bore draws - ecl
chelsea liverpool free flowing games - ecl

stats provided - average league goals + an imcomplete stat that is being extrapolated.

something not right there.

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:10 PM
Coracao

For what it is worth, i've had £#%&! all to do and have worked out the average goals per game in the champions league from last season and this. This is from group games and to the quarter final stage. The stats for 07/08 and been divided by 8 for the quarters and this seasons by 6, as there are obviously two games to play.

Very little in it;

2007/8: 2.68
2008/9: 2.66

I ain't doing any other £#%&!ing seasons though, can't be £#%&!ed.

Tumescent Throb

Exclamation

one way to look at what's happening with Liverpool right now is by comparison with United in 2003

Playing catch up in the league on both points and goal difference the fixture list didn't look kind, but:

Liverpool at home 4-0
Newcastle away 6-2
Arsenal away 2-2 and robbed blatantly

And in the background?

Galacticos away - outplayed and beaten 3-1
2nd leg thriller, won 4-3 - crashed out in glorious defeat

Be warned!!!

marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
marlo: average. think about it. I thought you worked with numbers? Or is that marlo not on today.
not right to compare the average over 31 games and the average over 38 games.

and also not right to miss out a 50% of the total data that the average should be drawn from.

sometimes its better to wait in the bush until your prey is down and not just jump out unequipped....... mate

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Billy Baroo

so the conclusion is that liverpool have been in decent scoring form since they played us

nothing more

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:12 PM
dodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horst_ Bucholst
sorry just because a team has cottoned on that to win games away from home you have to commit more than one player beyond the halfway line doesn't mean theres a football revolution on the way.
a-£#%&!ing-men

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:15 PM
marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coracao
For what it is worth, i've had £#%&! all to do and have worked out the average goals per game in the champions league from last season and this. This is from group games and to the quarter final stage. The stats for 07/08 and been divided by 8 for the quarters and this seasons by 6, as there are obviously two games to play.

Very little in it;

2007/8: 2.68
2008/9: 2.66

I ain't doing any other £#%&!ing seasons though, can't be £#%&!ed.
have to wait until after todays games to be fair. the stat is incomplete.

unless you left out the two last european games.
those two games were.(http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl...107/index.html)
fernabache 0 - 2 chelsea
arsenal 2 - 4 liverpool

can you subtract those 8 goals and see what you get. just to compare like with like.

marlo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Baroo
so the conclusion is that liverpool have been in decent scoring form since they played us

nothing more
who stole your brain billy?

Withers

Quote:

erm...the emphasis is on you to provide me with stats that disagree with my claim. you posted incorrect stats that left our 50% of the data that should be analysed (champions league goals scored) so i cant see how im wrong atm.

nope. not needed at all.
1 £#%&! off it is. Anyway they are above showing no more goals this year than last in the Champions league.

It's a simple fact that you have spouted %@#$&!s, not the first time nor the last.

So before you start scraping the barrel that is labelled "postal orders" I'm out of this thread.

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:17 PM
dodger

Quote:
not right to compare the average over 31 games and the average over 38 games.
Don't be a dick Marlo, that's why averages exist. They help to show data from different information streams in a neat bundle. For instance a batsman in cricket will be judged on his avergae, if he averges fifty from 80 games he will probaby get in the side ahead of somebody who averages 40 from 30 games

Admittedly averages aren't definitive but they serve a purpose.

But you should know all this already....

Unread 15-04-2009, 01:17 PM
Whalefish

The average isn't going to be affected by any significant amount in the next 7 league games. Unless all teams start winning at a canter, which is unlikely.

Were this a piece of work/report an average to date (31 games) could/should be given with a warning of sorts. A proxy extrapolated from x number of games. You don't always compare like with like so long as a bit of context is given.

Since the average is unlikely to be affected significantly I'd argue a comparison to previous years data is fine.
Closed Thread