United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:15 PM
magic_cantona

Default Ref Watch 23/24

First up, our penalty vs Spurs. Unsurprisingly, Dermot Gallagher says "Right decision to not award it":

Absolute %@#$&!s imo.

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:17 PM
armchair

worse from the other angle. No contact.

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:19 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
I'm still absolutely stunned that people behind monitors, replayed that lots of times and still give it. No possible explanation for it

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:20 PM
armchair

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
I'm still absolutely stunned that people behind monitors, replayed that lots of times and still give it. No possible explanation for it
Not sure var even reviewed it.

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:31 PM
jem

the only thing gallagher got right was that 100% we will not get an apology.

refs are £#%&!ing idiots. the onana one was never a penalty (even though onana did his best to concede one); the proximity point is irrelevant if you spread yourself like a keeper; the liverpool penalty was correct.

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:42 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

corruption laaa! demot gallagher's bin man is kenny dagleash's neighbour!

let it go man. the team needs to play better. decisions will even themselves out over a long period of time.

who gives a toss about liverpool players diving that one time

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:45 PM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

let it go man. the team needs to play better. decisions will even themselves out over a long period of time.

It's a discussion about refereeing in general

Unread 21-08-2023, 12:49 PM
Gypsum Fantastic

fair enough but everyone's got the same refs. they're all human and there's going to be some inconsistent decisions, even with var.

they'll try and get better and it will ebb and flow but all teams are playing in the same competition with the same rules and set of officials so overall it will even itself out.

the end.

or are you going to highlight every questionable decision by every ref in every game this season? if so, I will bid you good day sir...

Unread 21-08-2023, 01:43 PM
Dr Stranger

Making it up, decision by decision. He also said the Spain women’s penalty was correct, despite the proximity being roughly the same as our’s.

I don’t think it’s anything as nefarious as corruption, but they are inept and they do have a tendency to balance things out. The frustration is as much about the coverage as the decisions and what that coverage then does to resulting decisions.

Many have said all week: after the ridiculous coverage the Onana non-penalty received, we were going to end up on the wrong end of the next few decisions. So it was no surprise to see a stick on penalty waved away this weekend and excused away on Monday.

And the idea things even themselves out makes no sense. Why would everything always perfect balance out just because we all play the same number of games? Some decisions are more impacting than others. Some happen in the bigger games. Some happen at more critical moments. You’ll get some that go for and some that go against over the course of the season, but that doesn’t mean they balance out.

Unread 21-08-2023, 06:42 PM
armchair

Liverpool are appealing Mac Allister's red card. Just looked at it and you'd think it was harsh if it was us. Seen them given but we all know the ref has given it to even up on the earlier pen decision.

Unread 21-08-2023, 08:45 PM
lenin

M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsum Fantastic

Biggest lie in football

Unread 22-08-2023, 08:42 AM
shenwen

Quote:
Liverpool are appealing Mac Allister's red card. Just looked at it and you'd think it was harsh if it was us. Seen them given but we all know the ref has given it to even up on the earlier pen decision.
The one against Arsenal tonight looked weak as well. I guess as it was a second yellow then VAR can't get involved, but he didn't touch him.

Unread 22-08-2023, 08:50 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
The one against Arsenal tonight looked weak as well. I guess as it was a second yellow then VAR can't get involved, but he didn't touch him.
That was a shocker.

Unread 22-08-2023, 09:58 AM
Big Norm

Quote:
Originally Posted by shenwen
The first yellow was for taking 8 seconds to take a throw in.

After they went down to 10 Havertz took 15 seconds over a throw in and the ref did nothing. (this was highlighted in commentary in case you think I'm the sort of weirdo who has a stopwatch going on throw ins when I'm watching a match on the telly).

Unread 22-08-2023, 10:08 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm

After they went down to 10 Havertz took 15 seconds over a throw in and the ref did nothing. (this was highlighted in commentary in case you think I'm the sort of weirdo who has a stopwatch going on throw ins when I'm watching a match on the telly).

It's the absolute double standards isn't it?

That was a couple of seasons ago where Shaw got the ball belted at him from a yard away and it was given. The second was a Boro player handling a ball against us to help him score and it was given. But the same shit happens every week. So inconsistent. There's more cameras, more people involved, more hyping up of VAR and its still ruining the game. Can't see how it ever gets to a working, decent level.

Unread 22-08-2023, 10:17 AM
Stickman

The boro one wasn’t given on some warped technicality he provided the assist as opposed to scoring himself

The Shaw one v West Ham was stonewall.

Unread 22-08-2023, 10:19 AM
magic_cantona

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
The boro one wasn’t given on some warped technicality he provided the assist as opposed to scoring himself

The Shaw one v West Ham was stonewall.
How do you mean, Stonewall? Stonewall that it was a penalty? iirc the cross was fired in from a couple of yards away from him.

And the Boro one was given

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/expl...4d61381815f881

Unread 22-08-2023, 10:30 AM
jem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Norm

I was only half paying attention for that, but I thought havertz had taken 15 secs, threw the ball to tomiyasu, who then took 8 secs. he effectively got the card for the lot.

not given

given

Unread 22-08-2023, 10:35 AM
Stickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic_cantona
How do you mean, Stonewall? Stonewall that it was a penalty? iirc the cross was fired in from a couple of yards away from him.

And the Boro one was given

https://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/expl...4d61381815f881
I mean handball wasn’t given.

The Shaw one v West Ham was a blatant pen I thought. Completely blocked a cross.

Unread 22-08-2023, 06:30 PM
thatsfuctit

Quote:
Overturned

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/66588200