United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:00 PM
utd99

It’s a tricky one, this. There are so many reasons to say no, and many of them are valid, but we need to remember that this is not about Pogba, Bale, Mandzukic or any other name thrown in the mix; it’s about improving. We need to improve every window, and let’s not forget that before Fergie was known as a manager who promoted youth, he wasn’t averse to a good solid veteran player to get us back on the right course.

We all know what Pobga is capable of, but is a player that’s capable but not producing really much different from a player that’s not? Hope doesn’t bring wins and points.

Ole will know that the long term vision is vital, but he might not even get the chance to see it through if we don’t get the short term results right, and it’s far more likely that young players will succeed if surrounded by the right veterans; so the question is, would we be improved by bringing in some combination of Bale, Mandzukic, Eriksen, Fernandes -players who may actually be gettable in Jan- or letting Pogba stroll through a couple of games, then pretend he’s injured for another 4 months before the whole saga begins again?

I don’t know.

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:10 PM
Alex Jones was Right

I can’t see how someone who doesn’t want to be here and prefers to play golf would be a good influence in the dressing room. We’re supposed to be sorting out that shit, not adding to it.

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:20 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammy Dodger
I can’t see how someone who doesn’t want to be here and prefers to play golf would be a good influence in the dressing room. We’re supposed to be sorting out that shit, not adding to it.
Well we can’t possibly know the truth of it; all we have is what the papers tell us. It’s Ole’s job to know the truth of it. Keeping Pogba probably won’t do much for dressing room spirit either.

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:36 PM
Soviet

Its a no from me for Bale or / and Mandzukic. There simply have to be targets higher up the list than this pair, so why even contemplate bringing either in. We will harm the development of our own players, we'll prolong the transition period, and add another two mercenaries on big contracts when we've been struggling to get a number of them out. The negatives and risks outweigh the potential reward.

Making a case for either having a meaningful impact is clutching at straws and far fetched, idealistic thinking.

It would a clear indication of the abandonment of any vague sense of a plan that was being worked to.

If top targets are not a goer, I say take the pain and get to the summer, possibly bring in Ibrahimovic for 5 months if he's up for it.

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:41 PM
shenwen

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
It’s a tricky one, this. There are so many reasons to say no, and many of them are valid, but we need to remember that this is not about Pogba, Bale, Mandzukic or any other name thrown in the mix; it’s about improving. We need to improve every window, and let’s not forget that before Fergie was known as a manager who promoted youth, he wasn’t averse to a good solid veteran player to get us back on the right course.

We all know what Pobga is capable of, but is a player that’s capable but not producing really much different from a player that’s not? Hope doesn’t bring wins and points.

Ole will know that the long term vision is vital, but he might not even get the chance to see it through if we don’t get the short term results right, and it’s far more likely that young players will succeed if surrounded by the right veterans; so the question is, would we be improved by bringing in some combination of Bale, Mandzukic, Eriksen, Fernandes -players who may actually be gettable in Jan- or letting Pogba stroll through a couple of games, then pretend he’s injured for another 4 months before the whole saga begins again?

I don’t know.
Pretty much my kids on Fifa 20 but they bought Mbappe instead of Bale and won the CL the next season

Seriously though, don’t disagree with any of the above but can be done without it being Bale. Surely even Madrid could offer someone more palatable if they want Pogba so much.

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:52 PM
My Name is Heath

Mandzukic, Eriksen, Fernandes would be immense.

Unread 18-11-2019, 01:58 PM
92ToBury

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Name is Heath
Mandzukic, Eriksen, Fernandes would be immense.
Being able to have a solid midfield 4 with Rashford and Martial up front as a two would be great. Mandzukic to change it around up front, Fernandes on the wing with less pressure on him to begin with and Eriksen in the middle with McTommers. Sounds good to me.

Unread 18-11-2019, 02:00 PM
My Name is Heath

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92ToBury
Being able to have a solid midfield 4 with Rashford and Martial up front as a two would be great. Mandzukic to change it around up front, Fernandes on the wing with less pressure on him to begin with and Eriksen in the middle with McTommers. Sounds good to me.

Always knew you were a sage

Unread 18-11-2019, 02:46 PM
silv

keep Pogba, buy Bale and go balls out for Ronaldo.

is Fellaini available again?

Unread 18-11-2019, 02:52 PM
NedKelly

Quote:
Originally Posted by silv
keep Pogba, buy Bale and go balls out for Ronaldo.

is Fellaini available again?
I love the big man. He did wonderful things for us, won us some incredibly important games and left a hole in the squad that will take some filling. But he’s older now and it just wouldn’t be the same anyway. Why would he come back here?

No, we should be looking for the next Fellaini, not trying to tempt an older and wearier one back.

Unread 18-11-2019, 02:53 PM
redhegemony

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedKelly
I love the big man. He did wonderful things for us, won us some incredibly important games and left a hole in the squad that will take some filling. But he’s older now and it just wouldn’t be the same anyway. Why would he come back here?

No, we should be looking for the next Fellaini, not trying to tempt an older and wearier one back.

Unread 18-11-2019, 03:39 PM
utd99

I’m not arguing either side of this issue because i just don’t know, but it’s not black and white the way some are presenting it. At the moment we know that Pogba is doing absolutely nothing for us, and plans on doing absolutely nothing for us in the future either, so what’s the point of talking about how good he is or can be?

That value can be translated into players who improve us both now and in the future. Immediate impact players and long term investments. They probably aren’t the same people.

Unread 18-11-2019, 04:33 PM
Soviet

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
I’m not arguing either side of this issue because i just don’t know, but it’s not black and white the way some are presenting it. At the moment we know that Pogba is doing absolutely nothing for us, and plans on doing absolutely nothing for us in the future either, so what’s the point of talking about how good he is or can be?

That value can be translated into players who improve us both now and in the future. Immediate impact players and long term investments. They probably aren’t the same people.
When Woody bumps him up to 400k a week, thatll put a spring in his step

Unread 18-11-2019, 07:04 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soviet
When Woody bumps him up to 400k a week, thatll put a spring in his step
Temporarily. Nothing’s coming between fatty and his next 20m commission payment though.

Unread 20-11-2019, 12:50 AM
Stickman

Slightly off topic but supposedly a right moody £#%&!er Bale. Used to be anyway, a good friend of mine knew a girl who used to cook personal dinners for Spurs players for 100 quid a night and had a couple of good stories about him.

Said he was by far the biggest @#%&! she had worked for.

Unread 20-11-2019, 12:56 AM
Chris Quayd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Slightly off topic but supposedly a right moody £#%&!er Bale. Used to be anyway, a good friend of mine knew a girl who used to cook personal dinners for Spurs players for 100 quid a night and had a couple of good stories about him.

Said he was by far the biggest @#%&! she had worked for.
A miserly Welshman, not many of those about.

Unread 20-11-2019, 08:42 AM
Cream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Quayd
A miserly Welshman, not many of those about.
Wow.

You're in for a scolding once Magic, Ak'ers, Vedder and co have finished the morning penny jar count.

Bale scored last night and looks ready to join Ole's project:

Unread 20-11-2019, 08:43 AM
Jethro

Spurs by Friday

Unread 20-11-2019, 08:45 AM
waynes ear's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethro
Spurs by Friday

good.

Unread 20-11-2019, 08:56 AM
redhegemony