United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 07-12-2006, 08:54 AM
koppas

Angry I am still yet to see what Carrick brings to the side

Short passes with the occasional good bit of vision. Whoopty do.

I know some people on here rate him but, in my opinion, he brings nothing to the side that we didn't have before. Numebr 16 my arse. Isn't fit to wear that number.

I hope he proves me wrong but I doubt it.

Unread 07-12-2006, 08:55 AM
armchair

I think I'll pass it to...em....Scholes again!

He looked decidedly uefa - especially first half. Did quite well defensively.

Unread 07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
antonin jablonsky

He creates space for the other players to play, shields the defence well, picks out the forwards regularly and rarely gives the ball away. He is incredibly important in the way we play and a primary reason for this seasons good form from Scholes who loves playing alongside him. Oh and no, he isn't Roy Keane.

Unread 07-12-2006, 08:57 AM
Crumps

The ability to keep the game moving, a good range of passing, his teammates have confidence in him (just watch how many times players look and hesitate before passing to Fletcher and O'Shea), creates space for others, he's one of the reasons why Scholesy has been playing so well, he shields the back four very well and he can "Geordie Jeans" in a convincing manner.
[YOUTUBE]9IjWgiKut6c[/YOUTUBE]

Unread 07-12-2006, 08:58 AM
koppas

Exactly armchair. Plays the simple option everytime. I know he didn't command the fee,Fergie obviously rates him but he is average. A good player at best. There are many other good players but they don't all play for UTD.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:00 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Exactly armchair. Plays the simple option everytime. I know he didn't command the fee,Fergie obviously rates him but he is average. A good player at best. There are many other good players but they don't all play for UTD.
9/10 times the simple option is the best option as you retain posession and he has had a hand in a fair few goals this season too.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
armchair

He was hiding first half. I rate him but it's not something I like to see in his game. Sometimes I worry the games are too big for him.

Still it's a big step for him and I'm very happy with the Scholes/Carrick axis in cm even if I expect improvements.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:01 AM
puressence

i feel when a midfield enforcer is brought into the team you will start to see the real carrick ..

ps is it me or does he look like a mongoloid

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:02 AM
koppas

Well fair shouts Antonin and @#%&!y. You pose a good argument. I just don't think he is what we needed though, thats all.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:03 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by puressence
i feel when a midfield enforcer is brought into the team you will start to see the real carrick ..

ps is it me or does he look like a mongoloid
No he doesn't look like a mongoloid at all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mongoloid however he does look like a slack jawed extra on Byker Grove/

antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by @#%&!y Mc@#%&!erson
9/10 times the simple option is the best option as you retain posession and he has had a hand in a fair few goals this season too.
Roy Keane played it simple most of the time. Fact is with every game Carrick gets more assured, he's adding a defensive presence to his game and is the best long passer at the club, although he didn't use it last night. I bet if you asked Scholes, Rooney and our other attacking players what he brings to the side, they'd be able to tell you and would be very positive about it.

armchair

more like a giraffe

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:04 AM
antonin jablonsky

Quote:
Originally Posted by armchair
He was hiding first half. I rate him but it's not something I like to see in his game. Sometimes I worry the games are too big for him.

Still it's a big step for him and I'm very happy with the Scholes/Carrick axis in cm even if I expect improvements.
I agree he didn't have the best first half but I don't worry about games being too big for him, not after Chelsea.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:05 AM
Crumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by koppas
Well fair shouts Antonin and @#%&!y. You pose a good argument. I just don't think he is what we needed though, thats all.
He will be at his best if and when Hargreaves comes as they'll have a Pirlo/Gattuso type relationship.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:07 AM
Crumps

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonin jablonsky
Roy Keane played it simple most of the time. Fact is with every game Carrick gets more assured, he's adding a defensive presence to his game and is the best long passer at the club, although he didn't use it last night. I bet if you asked Scholes, Rooney and our other attacking players what he brings to the side, they'd be able to tell you and would be very positive about it.
Spot on. It's all about keeping the ball and game moving and imo he's very very good at that.

Unread 07-12-2006, 09:14 AM
wiganste

I'm with Bedders and Crumpsall on this. Carrick is a very important player in our team.

Unread 07-12-2006, 10:05 AM
jem

is the hub of the wheel.

and that's all I have to say about that.

except this:

what is wrong with playing simple passes? he doesn't just play simple passes, of course - see the reverse pass to rooney on the wing against celtic or any number of angled balls to players he can't see when he receives the ball, but already knows where they are as he is aware of the movement before the ball is played to him. he's put giggs and rooney through down the middle more than a few times.

he also does pop up with the odd useful tackle - on robben against chelsea and against benfica last night in the area in the first half (I forget who it was that he tackled). he's more of a body in the right place than a great tackler like keano, but at least we should recognise the protection his covering and awareness provides.

he's not worth £18mio (or £14mio) as a player; he might be worth that amount to united for letting the rest of our team shine, though. and god knows if all he does is keep fletch and o'shea out in favour of someone basically competent (although occasionally visionary), that's fine with me.

he's not a great player in his own right, but to say you can't see what he brings to the team is merely to say you haven't been paying attention.

Unread 07-12-2006, 10:08 AM
El Calafate

he keeps Fletcher out of the team, that's what he does. nft.

Unread 07-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Whalefish

Koppas, if you remove your head from Vidic's arse you may see what he brings to the side.

Just a thought.

Unread 07-12-2006, 10:33 AM
S/Side.Red

I wasn't overly impressed with the way he was going on about how a draw would be enough when a I saw him interviewed before the match. It seemed the team came out with that attitude, which was clearly the worst way to appraoch it.

I think Europe exploits our need for another, defensive minded midfielder more than the Premiership does.

Carrick is definitely contributing. He's still got a bit to go, and hasn't done very well in Europe, but he's doing fine I reckon.
Closed Thread