United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-10-2018, 11:59 PM
Sparky***

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/Side.Red
Rashford has scored for us recently, which is something.

Lukaku hasn't scored in his last six games for United, all of which he's played the full 90 minutes as the centre-forward.

Are we allowed to talk about that?

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:00 AM
gasman

Quote:

Lukaku hasn't scored in his last six games for United, all of which he's played the full 90 minutes as the centre-forward.

Could try the Lukaku thread

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:04 AM
TheFatGoth

Quote:

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:15 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasman
Could try the Lukaku thread
Cba to find it pal. If you come across it please post on there that Lukaku has more goals for Belgium than United this season. Thanks.

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:16 AM
Rob J Frankel

I'd prefer neither.

But then again i am in the South Carolina Jewish Hall Of Fame.

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:46 AM
utd99

Quote:
Cba to find it pal. If you come across it please post on there that Lukaku has more goals for Belgium than United this season. Thanks.
Why are you so afraid to admit that Rashford might never be good enough at the top level? None of us want that to be the case, but at least we’re realistic. Every time someone brings it up you start deflecting onto someone else who’s underperforming, though quite what that has to do with anything I’m not sure.

Sometimes young prospects just don’t make it. Rashford would be neither the first nor the last.

Unread 13-10-2018, 01:21 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by utd99
Why are you so afraid to admit that Rashford might never be good enough at the top level? None of us want that to be the case, but at least we’re realistic. Every time someone brings it up you start deflecting onto someone else who’s underperforming, though quite what that has to do with anything I’m not sure.

Sometimes young prospects just don’t make it. Rashford would be neither the first nor the last.
Because I believe he is good enough

And other people brought up Lukaku, not me. Check the thread.

Unread 13-10-2018, 02:46 AM
utd99

Quote:

And other people brought up Lukaku, not me. Check the thread.
What was confusing, the word “might”?

Unread 13-10-2018, 07:28 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck
Charlie Austin had 178 at the same point in his career

Quote:

Yes ofcourse. And we do.

He gets plenty of shit on his own thread. He isn't popular.

The point was merely about him at least being prolific, which he is.

I don't see how Rashford scoring a consolation more recently than Lukaku is much to shout about tbh. I'd wager Lukaku will have more over the next 5, the next 10 and by the end of the season.

Rashford isn't doing enough with the chances he's being given for club and country. Two absolute howlers this week for both and it'll jeopardise his place in both teams.

He needs to do more.

Quote:

And what if you're wrong?

How would that play out?

I'd imagine with the kind of form and finishing we're seeing at the moment.

Unread 13-10-2018, 10:19 AM
Stone Monkey

Rashfords £#%&!. We've seen the best of him. Move on.

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:51 PM
Clownbones

Quote:
Meaning?

Unread 13-10-2018, 12:57 PM
windy waffles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stone Monkey
Rashfords £#%&!. We've seen the best of him. Move on.
When? His debut and goals against Arsenal?

Unread 13-10-2018, 01:15 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Rashers will come through and be a solid in the prem, whether its at utd is another question, but I hope so, we are quickly losing/have lost any identity as it is.

No home growns in the team will be the end.

Unread 13-10-2018, 01:16 PM
TheFatGoth

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Rashers will come through and be a solid in the prem, whether its at utd is another question, but I hope so, we are quickly losing/have lost any identity as it is.

End of what?

Unread 13-10-2018, 01:24 PM
TripDownMiseryLane

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFatGoth
End of what?
not being able to bring anyone through to the first team will mean utd are in trouble at every level, which we probably are

Unread 13-10-2018, 01:34 PM
andyroo

If Rashford must be written off as a failure, and that is premature however badly he's playing at the moment, it needn't be the end of United as a producer rather than importer of talent. What he is is a good player who's struggling. The manager hasn't handled him well and no statistic about game time will change that.

We are in trouble at every level but Rashford is a bit of a canary in a coal mine in that sense.

Unread 13-10-2018, 01:55 PM
utd99

Quote:

But this reasoning is the trouble. “Identity”

Every single one of us would love to have a successful United jam packed with homegrown local kids, but the emphasis has to be on the success bit, not the local bit. The moment we lower our standards to accomodate category over performance we are truly £#%&!ed, because not only will we be shit we’ll be deluded and confused too.

I think we can all agree that no one loved the idea of home growns as much as Fergie, but is anyone really doubting that if he’d had better quality players available, who gave us a better chance to win, that ‘the class of 92’ wouldn’t even be a thing today? He was all about giving chances, that’s it. What they did with that chance was then up to them; the way it should be.

SAF was all about equality of opportunity, not equality of outcome, and I think that’s spot on.

Unread 13-10-2018, 02:04 PM
Ranier Wolfcastle

When was the last time a home grown player broke into our team and became world class/indispensable first team player? No one this century?

Unread 13-10-2018, 02:05 PM
utd99

Quote:
not being able to bring anyone through to the first team will mean utd are in trouble at every level, which we probably are
So that’s it yeah? Rashford is the very last academy player coming off the conveyor belt and if he doesn’t make it we may as well turn the lights off and sack Nicky Butt? What guff.

A better way to think of it would be to ask whose turn to get promotion to the first team Rashford is taking by performing this poorly, and could they be doing better? If it turns out we’re holding a bad hand too long, which prospect are we going to lose to another club because they didn’t get a chance?

Unread 13-10-2018, 02:13 PM
Albert Tatlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
If Rashford must be written off as a failure, and that is premature however badly he's playing at the moment, it needn't be the end of United as a producer rather than importer of talent. What he is is a good player who's struggling. The manager hasn't handled him well and no statistic about game time will change that.

We are in trouble at every level but Rashford is a bit of a canary in a coal mine in that sense.
Rashford has only ever played for us.

Several high profile players have come to us on the back of excellent performances with other clubs, have been mediocre or even useless and then moved on and regained their form. Andy Cole came to us as a prolific goal scorer for Newcastle (and Bristol before ?) and was pretty average for his first season, but we persevered with him and the rest is as they say history. So is the problem us or the player ?
Closed Thread