United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 12-06-2011, 11:20 AM
Albert Tatlock

Default Re: Which transfer has got you the most 'excited'?

Robson or the resigning of Leslie

I think however I was more excited when Mark Robbins got a first team place for a few games. I really had high hopes for the lad. Pity it never worked out

Unread 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
Tumescent Throb

veron

we've won the league again, this time befooooorrrrre it starts

Unread 12-06-2011, 02:34 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by reem
yeah but it was around the time Lazio did a Barcelona on us.
Lazio? Shurely you aren't referring to that meaningless kickabout in Monaco??

If you had instead said most European opponents in the 2000/01 season, you would have had a point.

Unread 12-06-2011, 02:38 PM
Tumescent Throb

Yorke's a good shout as well - once Ole had turned a move away down anyhoo...

that was a happy summer that

Unread 12-06-2011, 02:58 PM
The Mull

Either Eric or Ian dogshit Ure

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:00 PM
The Mull

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Chalten
Anderson.

nft.
Viv?

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
red in cumbria

Quote:
Originally Posted by gedthemull
Either Eric or Ian dogshit Ure
And as if we hadn't learned, signed George Graham a few years later - who stunk the place out by all accounts

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:17 PM
tatty

Shearer in '96 was a sickener.

Him and Cantona together would have ripped the league up on their own.

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:32 PM
Tiberian

Andy Cole, simply for the shock value of it, and getting picked up after school and hearing it on the radio with my Dad is a fond memory.

Veron as a player in his prime from abroad was a sign of how Utd and the PL were now competing with the top European clubs on an equal footing. In hindsight the signing of Veron came very early in Fergies development away from a 4-4-2, and it was hard for him and the team to adapt to each other

He had plenty of good games for Utd though, especially in the first half of his second season, and he was always good in Europe, but too often in domestic games he struggled a little with the tempo and intensity.

If a 27yo Veron signed between 06-10 it may have been easier for him.

The dual signing of Anderson and Nani was a good night as well, I think Anderson was linked a lot, but the signing of Nani came out of the blue, without most of the nonsense that seemed to come with Utd transfers. Anderson was being hyped as a cross between Ronaldinho and Maradona, best young player in the world at the time.

Unread 12-06-2011, 03:43 PM
JakeB

Tevez got me quite excited come to think of it, after all the fuss with his @#%&! of an agent and West Ham.

Unread 12-06-2011, 04:12 PM
atticusgrinch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
I was glad when Ronaldinho fell through. In hindsight, I had a caust there.

When Celio Silva fell through I remember being

Most gutted transfer collapse (seeing what he went on to do with Chelsea) - Robben.

Most gutted at the time - Shearer, no doubt. Thought he was going to force a move to United.
Well he would have done if he'd had even a scintilla of sense.

The £#%&!ing thick Geordie island-headed bastard.

Veron signing got me the giddiest. Shame really - he'd be £#%&!ing ideal now.

Unread 12-06-2011, 08:50 PM
utd99

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripDownMiseryLane
Jordan & McQueen (great shout) - the McQueen quote everyone wants to play for us no matter who they are with, even though we're shit and never win anything
There was something about the amounts back then too. I remember being in awe of the fact that McQueen cost 550,000 and Jordan 350,000, as though it was all the money in the world.

Maybe it's just the prism of time, but you hear things like 35/40 million and not bat an eyelid these days. I remember Cloughie constantly getting the hump because no-one was listening to his ruse of 'only' paying 999,999 for Francis.

Unread 12-06-2011, 09:02 PM
Sloppy

Schmeichel.Reading how far he could throw a ball and thinking wowSeeing him at matt busbys testomonial and seeing how big he was.

Kanchelskis.Even went to the argentina russia friendly at old trafford to see what he was all about.

Unread 19-08-2011, 04:14 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bral
Djemba-Djemba
Your on a wind-up are'nt you

Unread 19-08-2011, 04:24 PM
Gordon Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyroo
I think that's just his bad English, he means Arsenal were the only club who actually asked.
Yes that would be more like the truth.

Unread 19-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Whip Hubley

Yorke, I remember checking teletext every day for a couple of weeks. Turned out to be alright

Veron - absolutely over the moon. I'd watched him for a year or so previous in italian football and knew how good he was. Top £#%&!ing red. As we know though, it never lived up to expectations damn our world beating midfield...
Closed Thread