United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football
Closed Thread

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:43 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Al
That summer was the start of our decline by doing things on the cheap and now we're playing catchup by overpaying.

False economy's from the gimps
Yes indeed, they couldn't borrow anything so the squad was left to wither on the vine. Andy Mitten (not a great journo I know but someone who doesn't bullshit) reckons United were offered Agüero (Touré too) before City were but passed cos we were skint (and had £#%&!ed 30 mill on berbs a year before)

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Bunker Buster

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragflick
Nope, the market is what it is. Might be overpaying slightly, but we've always done that down the years due to us being who we are, there's nothing new here.
Were over paying by about 30/40m though....

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:45 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Nope, the market is what it is. Might be overpaying slightly, but we've always done that down the years due to us being who we are, there's nothing new here.
Maybe I should of said overspending

I.e. We seem to always need 4 or 5 players rather than just one or two additions that most top clubs need because they added good players to their squads each year while we got scholes out of retirement,Giggs in midfield at £#%&!ing 40 and now shoehorning Rooney into midfield.
On top of that importing other clubs past their sell by date players.

A couple of top players each and every summer will keep the club ticking over at the level we should be at

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:48 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Maybe I should of said overspending

I.e. We seem to always need 4 or 5 players rather than just one or two additions that most top clubs need because they added good players to their squads each year while we got scholes out of retirement,Giggs in midfield at £#%&!ing 40 and now shoehorning Rooney into midfield.
On top of that importing other clubs past their sell by date players.

A couple of top players each and every summer will keep the club ticking over at the level we should be at
Agreed they spent £#%&! all for a few years, and it cost us. Not as much as it should have at the time due to Fergie being a genius (other than letting a certain Frenchman leave for £#%&! all ).

Anyway, just glad we're back at the level we should be- breaking transfer records and signing the best young talent available.

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:49 AM
Red Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by doudou
Yes indeed, they couldn't borrow anything so the squad was left to wither on the vine. Andy Mitten (not a great journo I know but someone who doesn't bullshit) reckons United were offered Agüero (Touré too) before City were but passed cos we were skint (and had £#%&!ed 30 mill on berbs a year before)

30 million on berbs and 60 million on debt servicing (or the club buying itself for the glazers)

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:50 AM
andyroo

Quote:
That was when the interest payments were really biting due to those ill-advised PIK loans. The subsequent refinancing and huge increases in incomes (telly money, better sponsorship deals etc) mean we're not under the same constraints now.

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:52 AM
doudou

Quote:
30 million on berbs and 60 million on debt servicing (or the club buying itself for the glazers)
value

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:55 AM
dragflick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunker Buster
Were over paying by about 30/40m though....
Which is the new 10/15m from 10 years ago...

Ridsdale was seen to be rinsing us at the time for Rio, Kenwright for Rooney. It's always happened. Transfer fees are going one way, look at some of the other prices this summer

Get it £#%&!ing paid, and him in the side. We can afford it. No point signing all of these @#%&!ing sponsorship deals unless it's going towards the best young players in the world.

Unread 25-07-2016, 09:56 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickman
Doesn't make the management of the situation any better no matter how many times you trot that out. He was vindicated and then some for parting ways with us.
he hasn't been vindicated in the slightest. no-one doubted his ability.

Quote:
Nearly every transfer you end up over paying. We paid over 28 for Fellaini when earlier in the summer he had a release clause ffs. If we get Poggers, it is in no way a failed summer. All 4 of Mou's main targets wrapped up before the start of August and the season? Pretty successful if you ask me.
the transfer fee asked for pogba is ridiculous. the agent's fee is an absolute joke. i hope united don't pay either, and certainly the latter. the going rate is what you are prepared to pay.

Quote:
That summer was the start of our decline by doing things on the cheap and now we're playing catchup by overpaying.

False economy's from the gimps
united's decline started when fergie retired after winning his 13th league title by a landslide. the competition increased in the years leading up to that. united - including the players - £#%&!ed up the transition.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:00 AM
doudou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumescent Throb
united's decline started when fergie retired after winning his 13th league title by a landslide. the competition increased in the years leading up to that. united - including the players - £#%&!ed up the transition.
If you look at the way the squad developed you can see that the decline was well under way by then; the title was merely a salve that let us believe otherwise.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:01 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
he hasn't been vindicated in the slightest. no-one doubted his ability.

the transfer fee asked for pogba is ridiculous. the agent's fee is an absolute joke. i hope united don't pay either, and certainly the latter. the going rate is what you are prepared to pay.

He has been vindicated if his motive for leaving was to play football and be successful.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:08 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
If you look at the way the squad developed you can see that the decline was well under way by then; the title was merely a salve that let us believe otherwise.
you can certainly invent a pattern based on your own opinions on individual players.

the team continued to challenge right at the top right up until fergie quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
He has been vindicated if his motive for leaving was to play football and be successful.
no-one can deny he's played plenty of games for juventus.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:15 AM
Billy Redface

Quote:
you can certainly invent a pattern based on your own opinions on individual players.

the team continued to challenge right at the top right up until fergie quit.

And he's become one of their best players, captained his country, allowing him to command this crazy fee and come back.

It doesn't mean that Fergie wasn't right with his approach to blooding kids. He was. He was good at it and his record speaks for itself, but that doesn't mean he can't make the occasional mistake. And this was one of those mistakes. It happens.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:22 AM
suedeshoes

Quote:
And won Serie A four times.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:26 AM
dunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suedeshoes
And won Serie A four times.
Couple of Cups, European young footballer of the year, played in a few CL semi's and a final.. The £#%&!ing fool, what was he thinking... Just like Pique, he left chasing playing time, and sure, they played a few games, but was it worth it..? None of them count as they weren't for United...

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:30 AM
Red Al

Quote:
No it didn't as I've said before its when we sold Ronnie and didn't re invest the money on 3 top drawer players(which we could have bagged in 2009)

Vidic,Rio,scholes,gigs,evra,Rooney and carrick all should have been replaced by the time froggie retired with top players and i think 2009-2013 we had the same net spend as Stoke.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:43 AM
doudou

Quote:
No it didn't as I've said before its when we sold Ronnie and didn't re invest the money on 3 top drawer players(which we could have bagged in 2009)

Vidic,Rio,scholes,gigs,evra,Rooney and carrick all should have been replaced by the time froggie retired with top players and i think 2009-2013 we had the same net spend as Stoke.
Correct. Another very pertinent point is the decline in quality of British and Irish players. This £#%&!ed United as Ferg always liked a core phalanx of players from the 'home nations'. We wasted time and effort on lads like Evans and Cleverley while Chelsea and City just imported en masse.

Unread 25-07-2016, 10:45 AM
ZiggyStardust

The proposed fee for Pogba does take some getting used to as we've never even gotten close in our entire history to breaking the world transfer record so it's new territory for us

The think the reason so many people are having issues with the fee is that Pogba isn't a forward who scores loads of goals but is an attacking midfielder
The last time the transfer record was broken for someone other than a forward was back in 2001 with Zidane
My big worry with the fee is how it will affect Pogba as it's easier with a forward to get goals to justify the fee but a lot harder for a midfielder

I have to say the fact Juve are going to spend most of the Pogba fee on a near 29 year old Higuain makes me feel a lot better about the Pogba deal

Unread 25-07-2016, 11:13 AM
Alex Jones was Right

Quote:
I don't think he can win now TBH

If we bag poggers then we've overpaid or if we walk away then he's wasted all summer chasing an ungettable target.
Saying that he should have gone in with a bid and if refused then a final take it or leave it bid no more than a week later(all this a month ago)
It's little details which delay deals, not headline figures.

July isn't all summer either.

Quote:
Not saying it isn't it's just that were seem to take a month where other top clubs take a week.
Because we don't follow the deals of other clubs closely. Neither do the English media. Madrid took an age to get Ronaldo and bale.

Quote:
You said we can't win now? If we get all 4 of Mourinho's targets in before the start of August, I'd say that was us winning. £#%&! what he'll cost- we can afford it.
I can handle that kind of 'failure' from Woodward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saffers
They could never sell him without bringing someone in first, or look like selling him without much resistance. Not all top clubs can sell their best player early on in the market and then spend 2 months bringing in Owen on a free, Valencia for £15m and Obertan for £3m.
Whilst having the cheek to blame the lack of a top player signing on the inflated transfer market as a result of the Ronaldo deal.

Unread 25-07-2016, 11:57 AM
Tumescent Throb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Redface
And he's become one of their best players, captained his country, allowing him to command this crazy fee and come back.

It doesn't mean that Fergie wasn't right with his approach to blooding kids. He was. He was good at it and his record speaks for itself, but that doesn't mean he can't make the occasional mistake. And this was one of those mistakes. It happens.
it happens if a player is a #@&%! and walks away because he can't get a pay rise aged 18. on the verge of making united's 1st team at that age would you walk away? it's a rhetorical question btw. the answer is obviously no.

Quote:

utter drivel.

tracing the decline of 2013/14 back to 2009 is also nonsense.

and who gives a £#%&! what stoke's net £#%&!ing spend was
Closed Thread