United Forum
Go Back   United Forum > Manchester United > Football

Unread 13-08-2019, 11:31 PM
Ethers

Watched the post-match analysis/reaction tonight on YouTube, and thought he was quite insightful and interesting to listen to tbf.

Thought it was quite noticeable how simple he put everything, but it all made sense. Whereas Neville in particular seemed to be over-complicating everything he said to make himself appear smart, even though it was actually bollocks.

Souness literally has no idea about anything.

Unread 14-08-2019, 03:30 AM
Stickman

Good to see the cracked one still has the forum on strings.

Unread 14-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Baron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethers
Watched the post-match analysis/reaction tonight on YouTube, and thought he was quite insightful and interesting to listen to tbf.

Thought it was quite noticeable how simple he put everything, but it all made sense. Whereas Neville in particular seemed to be over-complicating everything he said to make himself appear smart, even though it was actually bollocks.

Souness literally has no idea about anything.
The bit about principles of the game vs tactics?

Wonder how many times he could say "it depends" until the rest worked out that he tweaked his approach based on whether the players he had at his disposal were actually smart enough to understand those basics?

Nev was almost insistent that Jose sent teams out defensively, while he was trying to explain (as you say, simply) that it was dependent on whether he had a side that understood how to be compact & how to have some idea of where a move might break down / loss of posession and how to react.

Was good stuff, but that doesn't work in a soundbite in the studio at HT. SKY just had him in as bait until the discussion.

Unread 18-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Knockers

Know it went tits up and all that but I still really like him...

Unread 18-08-2019, 10:01 AM
Clownbones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knockers View Post

https://twitter.com/elchaupo/status/...625482752?s=21
I've nothing against the guy

I dont want his style at my club, but outside of that, he's a great coach and one of the biggest figures of the last 20 years.

His football persona is exactly that. A persona. I don't think he's a bad guy.

Unread 18-08-2019, 10:21 AM
elhombre

Quote:

football appeals to the sort of person who is extremely emotional and who gets invested in something beyond rationality.

people become very binary in their thinking and think people are either goodies or baddies - like in WWE.

Footballers and managers are just normal people - weird fuckers with different character traits and insecurities and peculiarities - just like people we work with. how many people do you know in work who are moody fuckers and down right weird? JM is the same - he's a moody, highly strung man who is socially awkward - just like most people. the big issue is, he is in a world that is very unforgiving and which holds a spotlight up to him and doesn't see him as just a normal bloke doing a very well paid and high pressure job.

i think he's got personality issues and the clubs he's been at - MUFC and RM don't afford him to be like that.

i also think he is a busted flush - i thought that when he came to old trafford and pretty much predicted it would end as it did.

football has moved on, he hasn't and he just hasn't got that personality which affords him any sympathy or loyalty, as, as i've said, he's an oddball.

he'll go in to a behind the scenes role in a big club or FA or maybe do an international gig for a while - he won't be in the top flight of the big leagues again, IMO.

Unread 18-08-2019, 11:14 AM
S/Side.Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron View Post
The bit about principles of the game vs tactics?

Wonder how many times he could say "it depends" until the rest worked out that he tweaked his approach based on whether the players he had at his disposal were actually smart enough to understand those basics?

Nev was almost insistent that Jose sent teams out defensively, while he was trying to explain (as you say, simply) that it was dependent on whether he had a side that understood how to be compact & how to have some idea of where a move might break down / loss of posession and how to react.

Was good stuff, but that doesn't work in a soundbite in the studio at HT. SKY just had him in as bait until the discussion.
There were various things he said that went over peoples heads or were ignored. Getting a high level manager as a pundit is an underused approach on TV for some reason. Surprised Wenger hasnít been used either.

The dull line about attacking and getting caught being naive was a planned debate clearly to pander to Mourinho but he tried to emphasise that attacking teams still need to be coached to prepare well for transitions. Itís not about naivety itís about being competent in your style. Hence him holding City in such high regard.

Unread 18-08-2019, 01:27 PM
Buck

Quote:

He should have thought about that when he made everyone at United miss football